What's new

Game Thread Apr 18, 2022 06:30PM MT: Jazz at Mavericks - Game 2

Added to Calendar: 04-18-22

Just finished the game. Rudy is exactly who the narrative says he is on offense, and Don is exactly who the narrative says he is on defense and in clutch time. Both players are wildly one sided and until we get some 2-way players this will be a treadmill team.

Oh and Mike’s “veteran leadership” costed us this game, period.

I've lost a lot of faith in Quin Snyder if his solution to Gobert not getting the ball enough is to give him a post-up opportunity in a playoff game to let him embarrass himself on so that he can then supposedly move on.

When people say they want Gobert to get the ball more, nobody means in post-ups away from the basket. We're referring to when he has a smaller guy completely sealed under the basket and his teammates ignore him.
Lol, judging by that awkward mic’d up moment between he and Donovan until Donovan almost told him with his facial expression “I’m mic’d” it was like Quin was clowning the “get Rudy the ball” stuff being pushed. Almost like he was okay with Rudy fumbling it because it would prove his coaching right/Donovan’s approach right. If it was what it came off as, it’s disgusting coaching.

He had that smug convo with Donovan too “we fed the big guy… pause for smirk… keep looking for the lob”.

I’m convinced he’s outta here… I’m ready for it. Just don’t bring in Doc.
It was terrible. Donovan gave him like a look as if to say “remember I’m mic’d up” and Quin tried to play it off. No wonder the Jazz are a joke, it’s starts with their joke of a coach and cliques on the team.

Lol, judging by that awkward mic’d up moment between he and Donovan until Donovan almost told him with his facial expression “I’m mic’d” it was like Quin was clowning the “get Rudy the ball” stuff being pushed. Almost like he was okay with Rudy fumbling it because it would prove his coaching right/Donovan’s approach right. If it was what it came off as, it’s disgusting coaching.
That's inexcuseable if true.

Does
It was terrible. Donovan gave him like a look as if to say “remember I’m mic’d up” and Quin tried to play it off. No wonder the Jazz are a joke, it’s starts with their joke of a coach and cliques on the team.
anyone have a clip of this? I missed it

They had a chance to put this series away tonight, and perhaps get rest before playing Phoenix.

Instead, Luka probably comes back in Game 3 or 4, and this turns into a 6-7 game series.

Anyone thinking this team has a chance to compete with Phoenix at this compete is kidding themselves. This is who they are. They'll be lucky to beat this Dallas team.

It was kinda rough. It is kinda amazing that Quin can’t see the difference between what people are asking for and what he did. I’m not a big feed Rudy the ball guy to be honest but post ups? Nah… then joking like hey we paid our taxes… now we can do what we really want.

They had a chance to put this series away tonight, and perhaps get rest before playing Phoenix.

Instead, Luka probably comes back in Game 3 or 4, and this turns into a 6-7 game series.

Anyone thinking this team has a chance to compete with Phoenix at this compete is kidding themselves. This is who they are. They'll be lucky to beat this Dallas team.
I think they wait for game 4 now. If they get game 3 then they may wait for game 5. This buys them a little more time and we are playing with fire. We don’t make stuff hard for other teams… we just don’t. The locker room interviews were very… “hey we are cool we got the split… why y’all tripping?”

It is unlikely that they shoot this well again, but what isn’t unlikely is that they could find ways to win again. If it’s not shooting, it could be something else. Then for that one game we could say that it’s unlikely they do _____ again. They almost beat us in game 1. The question is, when they need a big play down the stretch, can they come up more times than not? Conversely, if we need to convert down the stretch or get a stop, can we bitch that more times than we succeed? I believe the answer to both questions is yes, which makes amalgamated regular season statistics have a much weaker correlation with what we’re going to see in these highly specified scenarios.
Um... No... it's NOT. That's the issue. The league understands how to counter Gobert. Pull him 2 steps in to the paint and swing the ball to the side he is covering. It's the same thing everyone has done against us and Quin has no counter. The Clippers as a TEAM shot 75% against us. 8 / 10 is what we should expect on wide open threes with no contest from the wing when teams KNOW they won't have pressure.

Predictable outcome. It will be maddening to watch this episode over again.

Quin has got to go. Gobert cannot play without an adjustment and we didn't learn. Piss poor showing.

Does

anyone have a clip of this? I missed it
It was on the NBATV broadcast. I’ve looked for the posted clips of Donovan mic’d from the night but I can only find game 1 clips, none from tonight. It was just a weird *** moment where it was like they were both in agreement “that’s why we don’t give him the ball” kind of proud moment or something.

It was kinda rough. It is kinda amazing that Quin can’t see the difference between what people are asking for and what he did. I’m not a big feed Rudy the ball guy to be honest but post ups? Nah… then joking like hey we paid our taxes… now we can do what we really want.
Agreed, no one is asking to force feed Rudy. It’s like he takes things to an extreme instead of doing the reasonable adjustments just to prove a point. No one is asking for Rudy post ups.

View attachment 11976

Trivia question for the "Gobert got exposed" truthers: What happens if Gobert stays on the perimeter to guard Kleiber?
Keep Gobert in the paint...

Let WHOEVER drive in to the key. Royce takes away this corner. Bogey traps in his corner. Donovan and House cove the 45s and top. I like my chances allowing the penetration but then one vs one against Gobert in the paint. The problem is that Bogey doesn't assist Gobert and if he does then they go back to the 45s. So LET THEM DRIVE IN TO GOBERT AND LET HIM GO ONE VS ONE. It's the most logical adjustment. It takes away corner 3s. It takes away the drive and kick because we don't collapse so there is no kick. It ain't rocket science. But Quin has had 3 years to think about it and he's got nothing but to bench Rudy Gay after all the talk of adjustments.

We watched the same lineups and the same responses and now we get to watch the same results in the playoffs.

PISS PISS PISS POOR jazz.

He had that smug convo with Donovan too “we fed the big guy… pause for smirk… keep looking for the lob”.

I’m convinced he’s outta here… I’m ready for it. Just don’t bring in Doc.

Anyone have a video of this? I'd love to see it.

Anyone have a video of this? I'd love to see it.
I’ll DVR the replay of the Jazz/Mavs game that replays tonight. It should be on there, if it’s not posted by then I’ll try to remember to try and get it in the morning. It’s on the NBATV broadcast in the 2nd quarter I believe.

If I do not, it will be because it may be blacked out for 3 days. I’m hoping it will record fine, but I wasn’t watching it on my TV I was watching it on a feed. It’s possible the replay I try to record will be blacked out. If you’re outside Utah and can record the replay that’s on in a couple hours do it please lol.

It was on the NBATV broadcast. I’ve looked for the posted clips of Donovan mic’d from the night but I can only find game 1 clips, none from tonight. It was just a weird *** moment where it was like they were both in agreement “that’s why we don’t give him the ball” kind of proud moment or something.
I guess it isn't that surprising now that I think about it. If Quin was the type of coach who didn't baby the face of the franchise, he would've reigned in the Mitchell hero ball a long time ago instead of angrily telling the media we don't have a problem blowing leads down the stretch a few hours before we blow a 17 point 4th quarter lead.

While I'm on a Quin rant, I feel like if you know the point of attack defender is going to get easily beat off the dribble and that Rudy will help, a player should be ready to rotate to the corner instead of looking clueless at what is happening. Like I realize our perimeter defenders suck at keeping guys in front of them, but the lack of crisp rotations (or for that matter, the lack of ANY rotations in many instances) isn't something that, after years of this, can be explained away by just "well I guess everybody except Rudy is an idiot on defense". Even bad defenders can rotate. What are they being coached on? The corner 3 is the most efficient shot in basketball!

Maybe the Jazz should just instruct Rudy to not help and to stay attached to his man, because it might shame Mitchell into being a better defender.

what a bad day for Mike. 0 points 0/7 fg and early foul trouble. we hired him for the playoffs he need to play better than this . he's officially a liability on D.

a different game plan is needed for game3。 one that will allow Rudy to move closer to the shooter and other guys to cover the paint.
For beeing a long term Mike fan, i'm totally disapointed. I was expecting to see him level up at PO time and he don't. Maybe age start to matter or it was just a night off... Champion react well after a disapointing performance, let's see next game.

Our starting PG goes scoreless (I don’t recall rubio ever going scoreless).

Spida goes for 34.

And fans say Spida is definitely the problem???

Oof. Cmon guys. He didn’t play perfect. His defense is consistently fairly poor. I don’t think he’s ever going to be a very good defender. But if Mike just gives us… 10 pts? We win. Even Royce gave us 12 tonight.

How many playoff games should we win if Mike scores a donut?

Watched the replay, read the thread. Some tidbits here:

- Rudy had a terrible first quarter offensively but went hard on the boards and he was his usual self on defense which is great.

- Mitchell great offense till the 4th quarter and then just terrible. At least he was deferring much more than he did in regular season. Horrible defense all around. Simple blow-bys, missed rotations, ball-watching. Whenever he made a basket, he acted like he was above playing defense which is super weird. He ran back well, though.

- Quin. I felt the rotations were fine. There were some stuff for Bogey and Clarkson that sustained us some. Kleber was shooting terrible till this game so it made sense to play Rudy and Hassan off of him given our deficiencies elsewhere but when he made some 3s, Quin dropped Bogey to cover the gap. Bogey was positioned well on some of those but wasn't quick or aware enough to contest or stop the pass.

- Conley had a dumb foul and took himself out of rhythm and wasn't present when we needed him.

- Royce had a good game.

- Bogey was giving life on offense, he was good in clutch too. Clarkson kept us going for a while too.

Also we ran a single post-up for Rudy. Kinda surprised that when I read the thread, it happened like 6-7 times. And even when we ran it, it was supposed to be a hand-off for Conley. Rudy just took liberty there.