What's new

Are Jazz fans looking at Rudy through homer glasses?

Which young center has the best future?

• Total voters
Should probably add Hassan Whiteside to this poll.

Dude is looking insanely good.

Center resurgence in the NBA.

In that poll, I think an argument could be made for Nurkic, Drummond and G Unit.

In general I think Embiid probably has the brightest future of any young big if he can stay healthy. He's the next truly dominant big if injuries don't derail his career, I don't see anyway around it. Before the injury shenanigans he was a cut above the #1 pick and it wasn't close.

Trying so hard not to be a homer and be objective. It is so hard not to pick Rudy out of that list. I haven't seen a player affect the game of the defensive end like he does in a long time. Most of the work he does doesn't show up in the stat line. Just watching teams try to score around him is hilarious.

In that poll, I think an argument could be made for Nurkic, Drummond and G Unit.

In general I think Embiid probably has the brightest future of any young big if he can stay healthy. He's the next truly dominant big if injuries don't derail his career, I don't see anyway around it. Before the injury shenanigans he was a cut above the #1 pick and it wasn't close.

Except his health IS a concern. At this point it is very unlikely he reaches whatever ceiling is projected of him. Give me Rudy ALL DAY LONG over he human emergency ward.

If he didn't have that level of upside before the injuries, Dante Exum would be running the tank in Philly. Big men with talent are at such a premium that the 76ers possibly burned the 3rd overall pick praying that Embiid isn't Oden. I'm looking at Dante Exum running the offense and just astounded that he fell to pick #5.

We are definitely looking at him with homer goggles to a certain extent. It's weird but, Hassan Whiteside has been coming on strong as well...after like five years or something and two years without playing in the NBA. He has done nothing until this year, but now it's like he's on Rudy's level. Just recorded a triple double with 12 blocks. It makes me pause a little with Rudy, since he only had 2 blocks in his last 3 games, although he disrupted a lot.

Rudy is getting less blocks because teams are going into mid range jumpshot mode when Rudy is in the game. Hassan Whiteside is not better than Rudy Gobert. Playing in the East inflates stats. Hell we just beat #6 east seed on the road without Favors and destroyed their #8 seed by 35. No imagine that they have 8 teams way worse than that. Imagine if we got to play the Timberwolves 12 times this year. Burke would be a statistical stud. Hassan is getting stats because the playbook for beating the Heat is to continually go inside and he is benefitting from it.

Rudy is getting less blocks because teams are going into mid range jumpshot mode when Rudy is in the game. Hassan Whiteside is not better than Rudy Gobert. Playing in the East inflates stats. Hell we just beat #6 east seed on the road without Favors and destroyed their #8 seed by 35. No imagine that they have 8 teams way worse than that. Imagine if we got to play the Timberwolves 12 times this year. Burke would be a statistical stud. Hassan is getting stats because the playbook for beating the Heat is to continually go inside and he is benefitting from it.

Whiteside just had 12 blocks vs. the Bulls dawg. Those stats aren't inflated.

I'm not ready to crown Rudy yet even though I enjoy watching him play more than any player in the NBA right now. I don't know what's happening with Whiteside; it's bizarre, but he seems legit. Rudy is a much better passer, doesn't foul as much, and is a better ft shooter. I'm just saying there are a bunch of young bigs in the league who are impacting the game. I wouldn't trade Rudy for any other big in the league right now (except for Davis), but we'll see what happens.

Comparisons for January:
Gobert: https://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3032976/rudy-gobert
Whiteside: https://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4262/hassan-whiteside

"Lately they don't go in the paint that much, they just shoot jumpshots, and it's pissing me off 'cause I want some blocks, but it's great for the team." - Rudy Gobert after win against Brooklyn

Rudy owns the paint, beachez.

Rudy owns the paint, beachez.

Ha, ha...I thought you were totally just making this quote up, and then I saw it on Jazzfanatical. He's right though, no one is challenging him for a full game. I noticed the Bucks guards passing to Rudy's man when he would approach the pg or sg that was coming into the paint (having burned our perimeter defenders). Hopefully, we see a double digit block game here.

I'm not ready to crown Rudy yet even though I enjoy watching him play more than any player in the NBA right now. I don't know what's happening with Whiteside; it's bizarre, but he seems legit. Rudy is a much better passer, doesn't foul as much, and is a better ft shooter. I'm just saying there are a bunch of young bigs in the league who are impacting the game. I wouldn't trade Rudy for any other big in the league right now (except for Davis), but we'll see what happens.

Comparisons for January:
Gobert: https://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3032976/rudy-gobert
Whiteside: https://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4262/hassan-whiteside

I think Gobert is starting to get a lot of respect and teams are not challenging him as much. The same likely happens with Hassan. Teams are probably still incredulous that Whiteside is a decent player. He was out of the league for a couple of years and I think most teams...until they've faced him once...still see him as a scrub.