What's new

Are Jazz fans looking at Rudy through homer glasses?

Which young center has the best future?

• Total voters
Of course we are looking at Rudy through homer glasses. But he is a solid big man with a good work ethic who tries to bring it every game. He has holes in his game, no doubt, but the stuff he does well, he does very well indeed for the most part. And he is fun to watch and has potential to get better and finally gives us some hope after lots of mediocrity since Stock and Malone left. I think we need to enjoy it while we can.

Rudy loves haterz like you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Gobert and Drummond second. Len has shown some flashes of awesome. But Gobert is the best of that bunch.

Dat rudy reverse dunk last night doe
Someone post teh vid

I compare Rudy to a young Kobe Bryant. Yup...he reminds me of a young Kobe Bryant.

You're dumb. Kobe is, and never was close to Goberts level.

Kobe is overrated as hell. Maybe top 50 all time, but that's a stretching it.

Drummond is the best pure basketball talent on this list IMO, but that abysmal FT% scares me to death. I think Rudy could hover around 70% for his career which is more than serviceable for a man his size. If his health holds up I still think Rudy has the best shot for success on that list.

I compare Rudy to a young Kobe Bryant. Yup...he reminds me of a young Kobe Bryant.

I think you are underestimating Gobert here. If you needed to make a comparison, I would go with Alexander the Great. There are a lot of similarities between a young Gobert and the strapping Macedonian who conquered the known world. I don't see Rudy being turned back in India however. He would have rose up and power dunked over those elephants.

Last edited:
I think you are underestimating Gobert here. If you needed to make a comparison, I would go with Alexander the Great. There are a lot of similarities between a young Gobert and the strapping Macedonian who conquered the known world. I don't see Rudy being turned back in India however. He would have rose up and power dunked over those elephants.

Amazing post.

Just got back from my ophthalmologist...he said my homer glasses are still giving me 20/20 vision.

I'm not being negative, I think Rudy has a great upside and think he is one of the best diamonds in the rough that any team has ever found. But I am also realistic. In consideration of talent level of the NBA, look at what Russell did. He won 8 championships in a row with the Celtics. Regardless of where the NBA was athletically, that is incredible and you have to give credit where credit is due. 8 in a row is the most incredible feat of any team in any sport in history. Because the talent level was not as great as today, that makes it all the more special. He wasn't surrounded by the talent today's NBA players have and managed to win 8 in a row, solely because of him. I never said Gobert didn't make players that were surrounding him better. The day that he leads us to 8 championships in a row, you will then and only then have an argument. To say he is matched with great Bill Russell is an insult to all NBA greats. If you or anyone really believes that then I won't question whether your a jazz fan, but I will question whether your an intellectual, or know anything about basketball outside of the Utah Jazz, DL, KOC, and Hayward.

No doubt that Russell was the greatest defensive player of all time, but he was surrounded by tremendous talent -- sure they were players of different era with lesser athletic ability, but they were some of the best players of their era -- Bob Cousy, Sam and K.C Jones, Frank Ramsey, John Havlicek, Bill Sharman, Tommy Heinsohn, all of them All-Star caliber.

No doubt that Russell was the greatest defensive player of all time, but he was surrounded by tremendous talent -- sure they were players of different era with lesser athletic ability, but they were some of the best players of their era -- Bob Cousy, Sam and K.C Jones, Frank Ramsey, John Havlicek, Bill Sharman, Tommy Heinsohn, all of them All-Star caliber.

^ This.
Rudy is surrounded by mediocre defensive talent. He is already at or above the defensive level of Russell, with plenty of room to grow. If his offense just gets a little better he will leave Russell in the dust as a player.