What's new

Are Marquee Free Agents a Possibility?

margodydek

Can someone who understands our cap situation (cap holds), weigh in on the possibility of us resigning Hayward and going after a marquee free agent (e.g. Griffin, Lowry, Millsap)? This would obviously mean that Hill is signing somewhere else, but for the sake of argument, let's hypothetically say that Blake really wants to come here. Could we realistically make that work while retaining Hayward (as I assume if any big FA were to consider coming here they'd want Hayward on board)?

Can someone who understands our cap situation (cap holds), weigh in on the possibility of us resigning Hayward and going after a marquee free agent (e.g. Griffin, Lowry, Millsap)? This would obviously mean that Hill is signing somewhere else, but for the sake of argument, let's hypothetically say that Blake really wants to come here. Could we realistically make that work while retaining Hayward (as I assume if any big FA were to consider coming here they'd want Hayward on board)?

I'm probably going to get this wrong but if I recall correctly the Jazz can fairly easily clear up around $16-17 million in cap space by waiving Boris Diaw and maybe relinquishing rights to a couple of other players. So they could fairly painlessly sign a free agent who's willing to come for that amount of money. Anything beyond that would require the Jazz to clear additional space by trading away contracts such as Burks, Favors, Johnson, and/or Exum, while taking less salary in return.

I'm probably going to get this wrong but if I recall correctly the Jazz can fairly easily clear up around $16-17 million in cap space by waiving Boris Diaw and maybe relinquishing rights to a couple of other players. So they could fairly painlessly sign a free agent who's willing to come for that amount of money. Anything beyond that would require the Jazz to clear additional space by trading away contracts such as Burks, Favors, Johnson, and/or Exum, while taking less salary in return.

Hayward's/Hill's/Ingles' cap holds eat up that money.

This is correct but they already have space available so that 16-17 million would be addition cap space. They could clear enough to offer some one a max like griffin. Could you imagine a front line of Gobert, Griffin and Hayward?

Marquee FA's who are willing to take the MLE, sure. Teodosic could be considered a marquee FA I guess, a lot of teams want him.

If they go over the cap, they can sign anyone they want. Who says they can't go over the cap? Besides management of course ;)

Pretty sure that the only way we can get a marquee player at this point is via trade. Our cap situation is too tight to sign one.

No! They might be if we had capspace, but we don't have space. And if we did(if Hayward and Hill leave) then we don't have the roster to pull marquee FAs.

No! They might be if we had capspace, but we don't have space. And if we did(if Hayward and Hill leave) then we don't have the roster to pull marquee FAs.

Again, I'm not a capologist, but I'm just wondering if we can do something like what SA did with Gasol last summer, where Gasol made it known to SA that he wanted to go there, SA then moved Diaw to create space and "wallah"! I just wonder if there's a big FA out there like Lowry or Griffin or Millsap that look at Utah and say, "if Hayward stays, Utah has a great core and I'd like to be a part of what they're doing over there", and agents talk to agents and let Lindsey know. I have to think we can make moves to acquiesce a marquee FA, but maybe I'm dead wrong...

Again, I'm not a capologist, but I'm just wondering if we can do something like what SA did with Gasol last summer, where Gasol made it known to SA that he wanted to go there, SA then moved Diaw to create space and "wallah"! I just wonder if there's a big FA out there like Lowry or Griffin or Millsap that look at Utah and say, "if Hayward stays, Utah has a great core and I'd like to be a part of what they're doing over there", and agents talk to agents and let Lindsey know. I have to think we can make moves to acquiesce a marquee FA, but maybe I'm dead wrong...

WE DON'T HAVE THE CAPSPACE!

When Hayward opts out(which he will) his caphold goes up to about 24M.

Hayward 24
Hill 12
Favors 12
Burks 11
JJ 10.5
Gobert 21.5
Exum 5
Hood 2.5
Lyles 2.5
Ingles 4(caphold)
Neto 1.5
Bolomboy 1.5

That's 108M. That's 7M above the salary cap. If you want to give Millsap or Griffin or Lowry 35M+(their max) you need to free up about 43M+ of salaries. If you want to keep Gobert, Hayward, Hill... you need to get rid off Favors, Burks, JJ, and 8 more million from the rest of the roster... Exum and Ingles lets say, or Exum, Lyles and Neto... and all that is without getting a single dollar back. And that's without me even going into us having to fill at least 12 roster spots and adding the minimum salary to the spots to spot no. 12.

We don't have the capspace for other teams' FAs. PERIOD!

WE DON'T HAVE THE CAPSPACE!

When Hayward opts out(which he will) his caphold goes up to about 24M.

Hayward 24
Hill 12
Favors 12
Burks 11
JJ 10.5
Gobert 21.5
Exum 5
Hood 2.5
Lyles 2.5
Ingles 4(caphold)
Neto 1.5
Bolomboy 1.5

That's 108M. That's 7M above the salary cap. If you want to give Millsap or Griffin or Lowry 35M+(their max) you need to free up about 43M+ of salaries. If you want to keep Gobert, Hayward, Hill... you need to get rid off Favors, Burks, JJ, and 8 more million from the rest of the roster... Exum and Ingles lets say, or Exum, Lyles and Neto... and all that is without getting a single dollar back. And that's without me even going into us having to fill at least 12 roster spots and adding the minimum salary to the spots to spot no. 12.

We don't have the capspace for other teams' FAs. PERIOD!

Thanks for the numbers. Jazz could release rights to Hill and Ingles, though, so that frees up $16 million. That plus trading Favors, Burks, and/or JJ with some cash back but not a lot would put them sort of in the ballpark, right? Maybe not a full $35 million free agent, but potentially a $25-30 million one.

But I agree it seems unlikely unless we're talking about a $15-20 million free agent (as I said in my earlier post). Doing it through trade would probably make a lot more sense.

Utah doesn't have an MLE and no cap room.

Those two statements seem mutually exclusive. If/when Utah has truly zero cap room (assuming that is not achieved via free agent signings), then they will automatically get the MLE, right?

I'd imagine you could get Mr. Markee for pretty cheap nowadays. Would probably play your ward barbeque for a hoagie and a Monster energy drink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aofoBrFNdg

Those two statements seem mutually exclusive. If/when Utah has truly zero cap room (assuming that is not achieved via free agent signings), then they will automatically get the MLE, right?

I don't have time right now, but from everything I've read, a team has to renounce their MLE to sign with Bird Rights up to the cap. If they're still under after signing they have whatever room is left.

I'll find my old posts on this and update tomorrow.