What's new

Are the Jazz going to trade Rudy?

So concerned about kissing the *** of a guy who won’t be in a Jazz uniform 3 years from now. I was/kinda am against a Rudy super max, but I don’t see why not at this point tbh. Donovan’s last game in a Jazz uniform is potentially around 28-29 months from now. I don’t think some of you realize just how shortened the timeline has become due to that player option on Donovan’s contract. There is no time to change course at this point. Donovan will potentially be supermax eligible 30 months from now in the summer of 2024 (we are a few weeks away from 2021). When he doesn’t sign that extension the Jazz will trade him. You have 3 seasons, this one included in that, to win. Pay Rudy what he wants and go for it, cause your other guys timeline is the summer of 2024. You can’t recover by then. Any chance you had of recalibrating and rebooting was lost the day you gave Donovan a player option in his contract. And yes a year means that much. It meant that much with Hayward, and it means that much with Rudy right now who also signed a 4 year deal. That extra year, that the Jazz continually just give away is extremely important every damn time.

You're a year off on your calculations:

The summer of 2024 is 3.5 years away (42 months-ish).

That's 4 seasons--the last year on his rookie deal plus the first three on his extension.

You're a year off on your calculations:

The summer of 2024 is 3.5 years away (42 months-ish).

That's 4 seasons--the last year on his rookie deal plus the first three on his extension.
But he’s already traded himself to the Knicks on his 2k account so none of those years count.

I shouldn't have called you an idiot. I apologize.

I do get very tired of seeing Donovan's impact being discounted in this forum. The kid is special - the best young player we have ever had. Of all the players scoring 24+ppg last year, he got the worst whistle by a mile. His free throw attempts were laughable despite how much he attacks the rim on a nightly basis.

I want Rudy to stay, but overpaying him gives us a 2 maybe 3 year window to think about contending. Unfortunately, the Conley deal was so atrocious that it took away that chance to fully attack titles regardless of what we pay Rudy and Don. A major Rudy deal will have the same effect as Conley for the last few years of a 5 year deal.

Overpaying him because we are afraid of life without him is unwise. Trading him for lesser parts isn't ideal, but I think the Favors signing keeps us in the same conversations we were in before if we make the playoffs.

This is a tough spot. I really wish Rudy wasn't expecting so much money because by the end of a major deal many might hate him for it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
I love Donovan... He's incredible... so is Rudy and they work on court together if they want to.

To me saying we'd be okay with Favs in Rudy's spot is similar to saying we'd be okay with JC in DM's spot. I get where you are headed with bigs can be replaced but I think Rudy is elite and elite being replaced by solid will be really damaging.

I think both guys come back more mature after the dust ups last year. They are both very young... something we forget occasionally.

I love Donovan... He's incredible... so is Rudy and they work on court together if they want to.

To me saying we'd be okay with Favs in Rudy's spot is similar to saying we'd be okay with JC in DM's spot. I get where you are headed with bigs can be replaced but I think Rudy is elite and elite being replaced by solid will be really damaging.

I think both guys come back more mature after the dust ups last year. They are both very young... something we forget occasionally.
Except JC can actually play 30 mpg for a full regular season and playoffs.

Favors would be broken if he tried to do that.

Except JC can actually play 30 mpg for a full regular season and playoffs.

Favors would be broken if he tried to do that.
Agreed... was obviously just looking for a good example on the roster.

I really think Favs was paid a premium to be the backup and also because the locker room presence. He is zero ******** and one of the guys that is close to both Rudy and DM. I think we read a little too much into the fact we signed and also drafted a center... I don't think it is because we think Rudy will walk.

Ah. Got it. Maybe next week he’ll see the allure of a storied franchise like the Lakers.
Nah, I’m pretty confident LA is not it for him.
As for Rudy, I expect something around the $200 million mark Sunday or Monday.

Nah, I’m pretty confident LA is not it for him.
As for Rudy, I expect something around the $200 million mark Sunday or Monday.
How does he like his coffee?

With the options they have open to them now... if they don't find some middle ground before the season I think he is gone at year end. I don't think we'd trade him because the return at this point would not be great.

With the options they have open to them now... if they don't find some middle ground before the season I think he is gone at year end. I don't think we'd trade him because the return at this point would not be great.

I think so too. DAL and TOR are going to be too appealing for him. If he doesn't sign now, the money isn't swaying him.

I think so too. DAL and TOR are going to be too appealing for him. If he doesn't sign now, the money isn't swaying him.
We'd almost have to go supermax at that point... at very least we'd end up going 5 years out. Worst case scenario as long as he doesn't tear his achilles he can go the Hayward route and go to a bottom feeder with tons of space... there is risk on Rudy's part but he will get at least a 4 year max on the open market.

I think they likely get it done but it is a bad bad sign of things to come if it doesn't happen.

- Rudy Gobert asked the Jazz to fulfill the supermax contract he is eligible for(35% of cap)

- Jazz responded with an offer of the normal max(28% of cap)

- Gobert's camp turned that offer down

And that's apparently where things are.

If Don and Rudy can get along and want to proceed, then let's go.

My point about Favors is with playoff basketball. Rudy doesnt impact the playoffs like he does in the regular season. Favors might defend the likes of AD and Jokic as well or better than Rudy. Of course Favors can't play a ton of minutes, but maybe we can platoon the position and use resources on the wing.

This is all of course if Don and Rudy aren't good or if Rudy wants too much.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

And that's apparently where things are.

The middle ground is some version of the 4 year supermax? 5/195M is not ideal... but if the answer is that or nothing I guess you can find a home for JC or Favs in a year or two and balance the books.

Tough spot... maybe we take some of the risk away and play out the season before rolling out a 5 year deal. I guess Rudy would be pretty motivated.

Wonder how Rudy will react... he’s emotional and definitely feels slighted at times... would it put a chip on his shoulder or would he sulk? Would he stay hint or look to be a good soldier? Would he turn down a 5 year deal next summer because he feels spurned?

I’m gonna say there is a 50/50 chance this gets done. Felt it was better than that but doubt creeping in.

Wonder how Rudy will react... he’s emotional and definitely feels slighted at times... would it put a chip on his shoulder or would he sulk? Would he stay hint or look to be a good soldier? Would he turn down a 5 year deal next summer because he feels spurned?

I’m gonna say there is a 50/50 chance this gets done. Felt it was better than that but doubt creeping in.

He would sulk cause he's about as mentally tough as AK47 was.