What's new

Are we as good as we thought after our road trip?

stitches

2023 Prediction Contest Winner
To me it looks like we are pretty terrible. The only redeeming quality seemed to be our offense, but in the last several games it has been stagnant and quite honestly kind of pathetic. The only teams we've beaten are the worst 2 teams in the Eastern Conference(3-10 Detroit and 4-10 New York), 5-7 Cavs, worst team in Western Conference (Westbrook-less and Durant-less OKC) and Phoenix, which might have been our best win so far.

To me it seems like we jumped the gun with our hope that this year will be much better than last year. I still don't see this team winning more than 30 games. Our defense is about as bad as it was last year, and our offense has been getting worse game after game, we are turning the ball over like crazy, we are shooting low %s and there is no hint of the pace offense Snyder is professing - we are the second worst team when it comes to pace.

Thoughts?

Reactions: MVP
Clearly not as good as we thought following that trip, but I hope getting Hood back will help us out a lot. I know he hasn't played especially well to start the year but his shooting and versatility are not something we can replace with any of the other backups.

We need Favors to play more consistently, Hayward has had some great games but some real stinkers too. Needs more games ending around 20 points rather than either 11 or 30+.

To me it looks like we are pretty terrible. The only redeeming quality seemed to be our offense, but in the last several games it has been stagnant and quite honestly kind of pathetic. The only teams we've beaten are the worst 2 teams in the Eastern Conference(3-10 Detroit and 4-10 New York), 5-7 Cavs, worst team in Western Conference (Westbrook-less and Durant-less OKC) and Phoenix, which might have been our best win so far.

To me it seems like we jumped the gun with our hope that this year will be much better than last year. I still don't see this team winning more than 30 games. Our defense is about as bad as it was last year, and our offense has been getting worse game after game, we are turning the ball over like crazy, we are shooting low %s and there is no hint of the pace offense Snyder is professing - we are the second worst team when it comes to pace.

Thoughts?

Not me.

Without consistent effort and play the coach has a tough job. I think at this point he is mixing it up in the hopes that something good will come of it. Hayward was sick, maybe the rest of the team is about to get sick and feeling run down. Otherwise how do you explain such uninspired performances, especially in the first half of recent games.

What?

When did anyone expect more than that?

If they did they were delusional.

https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?33374-Predict-2014-15-Jazz-record-(Definitely-not-too-early)!!

There was another one but I can't find it...

There it is:

https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?31445-***OFFICIAL-Prediction-Thread-of-Wins-***

There are 5 under 30 predictions out of about 65-70 there...

After the 5-7 start I have to be fair, I began to think we might be looking at 32-34 wins...

Last edited:
Every team have their ups and downs during the season. No need to get overexcited about either situation. We'll know more about where we are by the end of the season.

We are on pace to win 30 games right now and we've had a really rough schedule. Other than the game at Indiana we haven't lost one game I thought we should win. This team likely wins at least 30 if we stay healthy and it's not crazy to think we could win 35.

New coach should be good for like 20-30 more wins, though, I would think. Maybe not.

Last edited:
It's called 82 games and learning who and what the **** your team is.
It's called being one of the youngest teams in the NBA, and still being able to win.
It's being called not being Philadelphia.
It's being called not being a beefed up Cleveland team and still possessing about the same record.
It's called growing pains.
It's called a new coach in the NBA figuring out his team.

We're going to go through rough stretches, but Im not sweating it. You have to find an identity in this league, and I think we are many steps ahead of where we were with Tyrone Corbin.

We've lost games to legitimate teams, and I believe we were on a back to back. Lets not forget, we just came off of a rough road stretch and we came out with a couple of W's in that time.

I think we need to chill, we haven't even been 20 games into the season and we're labeling a 5-8 team "terrible"? Lol, girl, bye.

It's called being one of the youngest teams in the NBA, and still being able to win.
It's being called not being a beefed up Cleveland team and still possessing about the same record.

We're going to go through rough stretches, but Im not sweating it. You have to find an identity in this league, and I think we are many steps ahead of where we were with Tyrone Corbin.

We've lost games to legitimate teams, and I believe we were on a back to back. Lets not forget, we just came off of a rough road stretch and we came out with a couple of W's in that time.

I think we need to chill, we haven't even been 20 games into the season and we're labeling a 5-8 team "terrible"? Lol, girl, bye.

It's not that we are losing games. That's clear - we are going to lose more than we win. It's the way we are losing and the way we are playing that concerns me... I couldn't care less about the number of wins we get this season as long as we see some improvements in the way the team plays. But you are right about the team finding itself and having growing pains. I'd say we've actually learned a lot about some of the players in those ~15 games and we are going to find out a lot more until the end of the season.

As one of the most optimistic people on this board, I see where the OP comes from, especially the stagnancy part. The last couple games I've watched, I haven't seen the team spirit that they had earlier in the season. I'm all for accepting the bad results and losses which in fact I expected as well like everyone else when I looked objectively, but I really hate when the team I support performs in a rather dull and succumb-ing way. I want them to put up a fight on the court regardless of the score and the deficit, I want them to be more confident in themselves, I want them to pass for the sake of good basketball and for the open man only, not for dodging the shooting responsibility. I want to feel the excitement of the players through the screen. For instance, even when we made a run this last game to cut the lead under ten, it did not get me excited much at all. So from this perspective, I am really not satisfied with the non-tangible aspects of our games lately.

Though, I also agree with the consensus here, it's still quite early to get really pessimistic about the team. I'm even content with the 5-9 record for now, I think considering the brutal early season schedule of our team, it definitely could have been a lot worse.

there is no hint of the pace offense Snyder is professing - we are the second worst team when it comes to pace.

I was going to make a thread about this.

All the perimeter passing that we do just runs the clock down and makes us play super slow.

I want to see us get shots up earlier in the shot clock and when we have a chance at getting to the rim in transition I want us to go for it rather than pull it back out and set up the half court offense

I still think we win over 30 games

It's not that we are losing games. That's clear - we are going to lose more than we win. It's the way we are losing and the way we are playing that concerns me... I couldn't care less about the number of wins we get this season as long as we see some improvements in the way the team plays. But you are right about the team finding itself and having growing pains. I'd say we've actually learned a lot about some of the players in those ~15 games and we are going to find out a lot more until the end of the season.

Re read his post and calm the **** down.

I was going to make a thread about this.

All the perimeter passing that we do just runs the clock down and makes us play super slow.

I want to see us get shots up earlier in the shot clock and when we have a chance at getting to the rim in transition I want us to go for it rather than pull it back out and set up the half court offense

I agree and it's my one criticism, but even with that the players are young and coach is new and system is new and could go on and on. We have seen the system be exciting as well as pointless. I don't think I am going to be able to make any assumptions on the success of this season until it is over and sure as hell not 3 weeks in.

I mean there are IDIOTS calling for us to blow up the team because we are losing to playoff bound teams. WTF??? Maybe they need to find a new team.

I agree and it's my one criticism, but even with that the players are young and coach is new and system is new and could go on and on. We have seen the system be exciting as well as pointless. I don't think I am going to be able to make any assumptions on the success of this season until it is over and sure as hell not 3 weeks in.

I mean there are IDIOTS calling for us to blow up the team because we are losing to playoff bound teams. WTF??? Maybe they need to find a new team.
Great post. I agree.

Imo the jazz will (should) look alot different in April than they do right now

It's not about losing. It's about effort. We are getting blown the **** out. Then when we finally "wake up" we can pretty much hang with almost any team. This is not about basketball, this is about attitude and pride. Can anyone make an excuse as to why we are performing the way we are lately?

When John Stockton spent some time with Trey Burke last year before Trey suited up for his first NBA game the biggest thing that Trey took from it was Stockton's emphasis on the speed of the game and the PG's duty to dictate the pace of the team. When I see Favors languishing with the ball on an inbounds pass or a half-hearted effort by the rest of the team to get up and down the court it bugs me off because speed and effort are things that every player can control for himself.

Last edited:

This! Thank you. Very well said.

We're -4.7 as far as points per game differential this year. Last year we were -7.2. That's a drastic improvement and shows we've played much more competitively, especially considering 9 of our 13 games have been against playoff teams from last year, one more was against Phoenix who had a winning record last year, and another was against Cleveland. This, the fact that we have a new system and coach, are relying on our youth to lead us more than in past years (no RJeff, Wet Bandit, Tinsley and so forth) and that we're 5-8 (32 win pace despite the fairly brutal schedule so far) is impressive.

Get a grip and look at the big picture.