What's new

Are we, or not an elite team this year?

In no way shape or form are the Jazz an elite team. Those who say so have very low standards for the word elite

Is elite a bench mark of performance or a relative term?

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

I guess as it relates to the power rankings, relative would be the correct interpretation. Im having a difficult time rapping my head around us being better than the Clips, the Thunder, the Bucks or the Grizz (particularly the Clips and the Thunder). I can definitely see the potential but I guess as a fan I am also painfully aware of our weaknesses as well.

My personal definition of an elite team is one that has a legitimate chance to be in the Conference finals. In the West you have GS, Spurs, and Clippers. In order to get to the WCF, a team would have to beat either Golden State or San Antonio to get there so that automatically disqualifies us as "elite". In the east you have Cleveland and Toronto and that's it.

4th-5th seed in the west.

Should have been the expectation going in, not 2 seed like most this forum was predicting in the fall.

4th-5th seed in the west.

Should have been the expectation going in, not 2 seed like most this forum was predicting in the fall.
Pretty much no one predicted #2 seed.

What the Jazz are lacking now, at least when Hill is not playing, is an elite PG. It seems whenever we play a team with one, like last night, or say Portland, the PGs destroy us. In the old days of the NBA, the dominant position was the center and the ability to rebound. Today with the emphasis on the 3-pt shot and speed, it's the PG and perimeter play. Most of this season we've been playing with below average PGs. The fact that Mack has played better than would be expected has helped boost our record. But with Dante playing way below the average PG, it has really hurt the Jazz. Look at last night, Lowry basically took over the game all by himself. We had no answer for him in the way Lillard has killed us in the past. Other elite teams have Steph, CP3, and Kyrie, plus other amazing perimeter players like KD, Crawford, and LeBron (actually more like an all-purpose PG at the forward position). When Hill gets back and Burks gets healthy we might move into the elite bracket. We shall see. It sure is pretty discouraging, how Dante has been playing. He definitely should go to the D-League to get back his confidence; he has so many weaknesses to overcome. I always think about Corbin when the Jazz should've tanked for Lillard. Imagine if the Jazz had gotten Lillard where they would be now.

What the Jazz are lacking now, at least when Hill is not playing, is an elite PG. It seems whenever we play a team with one, like last night, or say Portland, the PGs destroy us. In the old days of the NBA, the dominant position was the center and the ability to rebound. Today with the emphasis on the 3-pt shot and speed, it's the PG and perimeter play. Most of this season we've been playing with below average PGs. The fact that Mack has played better than would be expected has helped boost our record. But with Dante playing way below the average PG, it has really hurt the Jazz. Look at last night, Lowry basically took over the game all by himself. We had no answer for him in the way Lillard has killed us in the past. Other elite teams have Steph, CP3, and Kyrie, plus other amazing perimeter players like KD, Crawford, and LeBron (actually more like an all-purpose PG at the forward position). When Hill gets back and Burks gets healthy we might move into the elite bracket. We shall see. It sure is pretty discouraging, how Dante has been playing. He definitely should go to the D-League to get back his confidence; he has so many weaknesses to overcome. I always think about Corbin when the Jazz should've tanked for Lillard. Imagine if the Jazz had gotten Lillard where they would be now.

Interesting you should say that as I share your regard for Hill and his acumen and contributions. Sounds crazy but in my book next to Gobert I see Hill as the most important piece of the puzzle. I actually tell all my betting friends not to bet on the Jazz unless Hill is playing. But I am starting to question if the dang guy is made of glass or something.;)

Welcome back?

I see you're still exaggerating to make your points.

Yet you just make a post asking the forum to adjust their expectations?

2-3 seed was the consensus in late August September. ESPN was releasing their hype articles on the Jazz and everyone was high.

Yet you just make a post asking the forum to adjust their expectations?

2-3 seed was the consensus in late August September. ESPN was releasing their hype articles on the Jazz and everyone was high.

everyone? wtf are you talking about, exactly?

80% constitutes "everyone"

that's convenient. I don't suppose I could get a link? Also does that poll adjust for trolls and dudes that threw all objectivity/caution to the wind and threw out a homer pick just for fun?

Stop with your objectivity pose, please.