What's new

Armen Gilliam dies playing pick-up basketball

That article is super vague. Was it just a sudden heart-attack or a freak accident while playing? Sad nonetheless.

I just wish he had been closer to his prime when he played for the Jazz. He was pretty darn good for a while.

wow, even at 35 i thought he brought us a great rebounding presence.
looking through most of his career he rarely missed games...sad indeed, r.i.p.

love that nickname. some more info on "Hammer":

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gilliar01.html

played for the Jazz just one year, the lockout shortened 1999-2000 season. put up a pretty good 14.0 PER. but, apparently he flopped badly in the playoffs: 2.9 PER?! and then he was gone from the NBA for good. anyone remember why?

That wasn't the lockout season.

He was out of basketball when LHM signed him - just plain washed up.

He was a good player but horrible in a Jazz uniform.

Official Eulogy:

He did more for Utah in one season than Jose Ortiz did during his entire Jazz career.

On a side note, is that crazy ******* Luther Wright still alive?

love that nickname. some more info on "Hammer":

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gilliar01.html

played for the Jazz just one year, the lockout shortened 1999-2000 season. put up a pretty good 14.0 PER. but, apparently he flopped badly in the playoffs: 2.9 PER?! and then he was gone from the NBA for good. anyone remember why?
He started the 1999-00 season in Orlando. Would've made the rotation but Doc Rivers was in his first season (taking over for Chuck Daly) and the Magic were in a rebuilding phase (traded away Penny Hardaway and Horace Grant) so Doc agreed after training camp to release Armen in hopes that he could sign with a contending team and so the Magic could get younger. Didn't find any takers initially and sat out of basketball until a roster spot opened up in Utah after they cut Pete Chilcutt (thank goodness).

Gilliam gave the Jazz what Chilcutt didn't - an adequate backup to Karl Malone as well as a big body who could finish games playing center next to Malone (a la Antoine Carr - and something the Jazz needed since Olden Polynice was a sub-40% FT shooter), and he did have his moments for Utah - most notably an outstanding 4th-qtr defending Alonzo Mourning in a big victory over the Heat and playing tough defense on Chris Webber in a big win in Arco.

Throughout his career his go-to move was facing up from about 12-feet on the baseline and either shooting the jumper (almost resembling a 1-hand push-shot) or rolling into the lane for a little left-handed hook. At times he was able to give Utah the low-post scoring they needed from their depleted 2nd-unit but he also struggled mightily in the playoffs at converting easy baskets and catching the ball - especially against Portland in the 2nd-round. I think by that time he just didn't have much left in the tank, and wasn't surprised it was the last NBA basketball he ever played.

Last edited:
He was a strange guy from what I read about him. Changed his first name from Armon to Armen because he was sick of everyone pronouncing it wrong.

He had arguably his best year of his career in 1996 and The Nets choose to outright release him. For once they must have known something because he was awful the rest of his career.

He had arguably his best year of his career in 1996 and The Nets choose to outright release him. For once they must have known something because he was awful the rest of his career.
Nets had a new coach who wanted to build a new regime with new players by the name of John Calipari.

Nets had a new coach who wanted to build a new regime with new players by the name of John Calipari.

True - they also traded for Keith Van Horn on draft night after the 1996 season.

Even still, I distinctly remember a campaign for Gilliam to make the All-Star Team that year. You would think they would have tried to get something back for him in trade.

Today, this dude at the gym and I were talking about dead basketball players (Sealy, Griffin, etc.). Now this? Creepy!