What's new

Article About Denver Wanting to Trade

What does?

The only thing we can send out for salary relief is quite delayed, like Burks' contract, and that's only $10M or whatever and wouldn't get us up to the $25 or so million we'd need to take someone like Porter, or someone on a bigger deal that people are trying to cut loose. Basically, we're looking at deals like Burks for Carroll.

Non-Guaranteed and team options are different though. We are trading under the 2017 values. The trade machine is wrong i believe. They setup the trade machine to handle 80-90% of scenarios.

We have team options on those guys.

Non-Guaranteed and team options are different though. We are trading under the 2017 values. The trade machine is wrong i believe. They setup the trade machine to handle 80-90% of scenarios.

No, they aren't team options. They are just all unguaranteed for the second year.

I really dont think it is. They all have 0 guaranteed dollars in 2018-2019. It wouldnt make sense for them to change this rule, but have that loophole. They obviously put the rule in for a reason, to stop teams from making lopsided trades just for another team to cut money.

Bradley has pretty much zero value. Besides the fact he's not that good, he's pretty much the prototypical example of the type of player who is useless in today's NBA.
This. I never could understand the choice to draft Bradley. Think it was a huge mistake. Even in his GLeague highlights, he doesn’t look like anything more then a 10-15 minute a night backup.

I assumed they were team option and were different. Have heard credible individuals talk about trading the contracts for assets. I new non-guaranteed deals did not count... but thought ours were structured differently. I guess we should have traded them during the season then to offer cap relief. I'm going to poke around a little more but this kinda sucks.

The only thing we can send out for salary relief is quite delayed, like Burks' contract, and that's only $10M or whatever and wouldn't get us up to the $25 or so million we'd need to take someone like Porter, or someone on a bigger deal that people are trying to cut loose. Basically, we're looking at deals like Burks for Carroll.
Makes me want to see them make the Burks for Carroll swap even more now tbh.

I think he’d essentially fill the role that P. J. Tucker does in Houston for the playoffs. Plus he’s a leader in the locker room and an avid fan of Quin Snyder. I love Burks. Think he’d be a great 6th man type of guy, but it seems pretty clear that he’s not going to get much of a run if he comes back. I’d like to see him get a shot somewhere else than see him on the bench.

Makes me want to see them make the Burks for Carroll swap even more now tbh.

I think he’d essentially fill the role that P. J. Tucker does in Houston for the playoffs. Plus he’s a leader in the locker room and an avid fan of Quin Snyder. I love Burks. Think he’d be a great 6th man type of guy, but it seems pretty clear that he’s not going to get much of a run if he comes back. I’d like to see him get a shot somewhere else than see him on the bench.

Makes a lot of sense if they are in the Jabari market... can start a deal around 18-19M and make it tough for Milwaukee to trade him with player options and trade kickers.

@stitches can you comment on the non-guaranteed stuff... not sure why many thought we could trade them during the draft for undesirable salary. Any reason our deals are an exception for some reason?

I assumed they were team option and were different. Have heard credible individuals talk about trading the contracts for assets. I new non-guaranteed deals did not count... but thought ours were structured differently. I guess we should have traded them during the season then to offer cap relief. I'm going to poke around a little more but this kinda sucks.
Because no one reads the CBA that closely. People always take awhile to adjust to the new rules.

@stitches can you comment on the non-guaranteed stuff... not sure why many thought we could trade them during the draft for undesirable salary. Any reason our deals are an exception for some reason?
I thought we could trade them until today, too... Cy pointed out to me that according to the new CBA only the guaranteed portion of a non-guaranteed(0) or partially guaranteed contract counts for salary matching purposes. I guess this is a loophole that the NBPA wanted closed and they closed it in the new CBA.

The reason our contract fall into that rule while others might not is because they were signed after July 1st 2017(when the new CBA went into effect). If we had contracts signed before that that have non-guaranteed money, they would be trade-able and their number would count for salary matching purposes. Unfortunately all of our non-guaranteed contracts were signed after July 1st 2017.

Because no one reads the CBA that closely. People always take awhile to adjust to the new rules.

Probably true... I assumed they were team options and were different.

I listened to Bill Simmons the self proclaimed Picasso of the Trade machine... he cooked up a scenario where LBJ just signs outright in Houston and then they sign Chris Paul and Capela... completely ignored that they'd have $40M in capholds... I wanted to slap him through my phone.

I thought we could trade them until today, too... Cy pointed out to me that according to the new CBA only the guaranteed portion of a non-guaranteed(0) or partially guaranteed contract counts for salary matching purposes. I guess this is a loophole that the NBPA wanted closed and they closed it in the new CBA.

The reason our contract fall into that rule while others might not is because they were signed after July 1st 2017(when the new CBA went into effect). If we had contracts signed before that that have non-guaranteed money, they would be trade-able and their number would count for salary matching purposes. Unfortunately all of our non-guaranteed contracts were signed after July 1st 2017.

Thx... just wanted to verify... I want to say some smart people (clayton, Larsen, and others) said we could do it... not like they are gospel, but the unguaranteed thing was not new (to me... have heard Duncan and others mention it). I may have misread what they said.