What's new

As things stand now, would we get 3 #1's in the 2011 draft??

NotDeadYet

As I understand the details of our various trades:
1. We'd keep our own from the Jefferson trade as it's top-16 lottery-protected.
2. We get New Jersey's lottery pick for Williams, as it is unprotected.
3. We also get the Grizzlies #1 for Ronnie Brewer, as it is top-14 protected and the Grizzlies as of today are the 8th seed in the playoffs...

Wow; we could end up with 3 #1's; if that happens AND they look good in camp, KOC will have to figure how to fit them on the roster...

We traded the Griz pick for Al I believe. Looks like a good move, Al isn't perfect by any means but he is good and that pick is weak.

Ah; so it's either/or. EITHER we keep our #1 and the playoff-bound Grizzlie's pick goes to Minnesota from the Jefferson trade, OR if we make the playoffs and the Griz don't, we'd keep the Grizzlie's #1 but send ours to Minnesota. With the supposedly weak draft, prolly better to NOT get too many picks this year...

The Griz pick is already gone, we gave up it's rights in the trade. We may en up with 2 lottery picks, our own and the Nets.

There's a reason why so many teams gave up their first round picks this year in trades.
This years draft stinks.

2011 first round draft pick from New Jersey
New Jersey's own 2011 1st round pick to Utah [New Jersey - Utah, 2/23/2011]

2012 first round draft pick from Golden State
Golden State's own 2012 1st round pick to Utah via New Jersey (top 7 protected in the 2012 Draft, top 7 protected in 2013, and top 6 protected in the 2014 Draft). However, if Utah via New Jersey has not yet received this first round pick by the 2014 draft, then Utah via New Jersey shall instead receive: (i) Golden State's own 2014 2nd round pick and (ii) Golden State's own 2016 2nd round pick. [Golden State - New Jersey, 7/22/2008 and amended 9/21/2009 and then New Jersey - Utah, 2/23/2011]

OWED PICKS

2011 first round draft pick to Minnesota
Utah’s own 2011 first round pick to Minnesota (top 16 protected in the 2011 draft, top 14 protected in 2012 and top 12 protected in the 2013 draft). If Utah has not conveyed a first round pick to Minnesota by 2014 and also if Utah’s own 2014 first round is not within the top 9 picks, then Minnesota will have the option to swap their own 2014 first round pick with Utah’s own 2014 first round pick. If Minnesota does not receive a first round pick by the 2013 draft and also does not swap 2014 first round picks with Utah, then Minnesota will receive Utah’s own 2014 second round pick. [Minnesota - Utah, 7/13/2010]

2011 second round draft pick to Chicago
Utah's own 2011 2nd round pick to the Chicago. [Chicago - Utah, 7/8/2010]

We should trade them all and try to move up. I don't want 3 rookies in suits behind the bench all next season.

We have one first round pick (nj) for sure. And a second (our own) if we don't make the playoffs.

That's all

I was just correcting the terminology. Saying we have three #1's means we have three number one picks. That is incorrect and misleading.

The Griz pick is already gone, we gave up it's rights in the trade. We may en up with 2 lottery picks, our own and the Nets.

To take this on just a little tangent, if we have 2 lottery picks are both of them actually in the "lottery" or do we only get to draw out on the better pick. I guess what I am asking is, is it possible to get both #1 and #2 or #3 in the lottery?

To take this on just a little tangent, if we have 2 lottery picks are both of them actually in the "lottery" or do we only get to draw out on the better pick. I guess what I am asking is, is it possible to get both #1 and #2 or #3 in the lottery?

Yes. The lottery is based on the team that draft pick is originally based. Say a team has the worst record in the league, and the draft picks from the fifth worst team and the tenth worst team as well as its own, and the lotto balls say the worst record team gets the first pick, the tenth worst gets the second pick, and the fifth worst gets the third, then one team will indeed have the first three picks in the draft.

Yes. The lottery is based on the team that draft pick is originally based. Say a team has the worst record in the league, and the draft picks from the fifth worst team and the tenth worst team as well as its own, and the lotto balls say the worst record team gets the first pick, the tenth worst gets the second pick, and the fifth worst gets the third, then one team will indeed have the first three picks in the draft.

Thanks Duck I didn't know that was the case. I can't think of it ever actually happening, but it would be crazy. Imagine San Antonio if they had been able to draft Tim Duncan (#1) and Chauncy Billups (#3). Or if we had been able to draft Bogut (#1) and Williams (#3). I think that would be cool to see once. I don't necessarily hope that happens with us this year as this draft is not that great, but it would be a cool occurrence.

Although if it did we could package the #1 and #2 or whatever and probably get a very solid vet and future picks.

OK, thanks; so we traded our rights to the Grizzlie's round 1 pick as part of the Jefferson trade. Depending on the Grizzlie's ranking at season's end, Minnesota may or may not get it this year. Our own round 1 pick would go to Minnesota if we finish outside the bottom 16 teams at seasons end, which seems unlikely at this point... so we prolly will keep it.
"Weak drafts" are just projections by "experts", not hard facts; there are usually some players who aren't as good as they thought, and some who fly under the radar and become much better than expected...

OK, thanks; so we traded our rights to the Grizzlie's round 1 pick as part of the Jefferson trade. Depending on the Grizzlie's ranking at season's end, Minnesota may or may not get it this year. Our own round 1 pick would go to Minnesota if we finish outside the bottom 16 teams at seasons end, which seems unlikely at this point... so we prolly will keep it.
"Weak drafts" are just projections by "experts", not hard facts; there are usually some players who aren't as good as they thought, and some who fly under the radar and become much better than expected...

You said it, experts have no idea how strong a draft will be. The 2009 draft was supposed to contend for the worst of all time. Flash forward 2 years and look at the players who emerged: Griffin, Evans, Curry, Harden, Lawson, Jennings, Derozan, Gibson. Well above average so far. This year's draft looks weak on paper because everyone is freshmen or international, so there are no gaudy stats to drool over.