What's new

As Trump Says, You're Fired

write4u

Banned
Time to rebuild. We have a new owner, a new coach, and now we need a new GM. Time to get rid of KOC, the architect of our destruction, pronto, before the season ends.
Hasta la vista!

And leave Greggy boy running the ship?

Laughable, man. HAH!

Time to rebuild. We have a new owner, a new coach, and now we need a new GM. Time to get rid of KOC, the architect of our destruction, pronto, before the season ends.
Hasta la vista!

Why? Because you can't handle a couple losses?

Good question ... have to think about that. Maybe make Layden the GM -- he was in NY -- and make Horny first assistant, hire Gordy and Malone as assistants. But that's just off the top of my head.

maybe they should take a look at who's attending the MIT Sloan School of Business Sports Analytics conference

this was posted today at NBA.com and I know there's a recent thread about this as well...
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Rise-of-the-machines-Will-coaches-cede-control-?urn=nba-330135

Tarek Kamil predicts that technologists will one day be just as important to a basketball team's on-court success as coaches are. Not only that, he says, they'll actually be determining in-game strategy and making sideline calls themselves.

And as he sees it, that day's coming sooner than you think. During a presentation on the second day of the 2011 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, Kamil said he figures it'll arrive within the next 20 years.

Analysts will pore over mountains of data mined from an array of individual player snapshots and game situations to arrive at evidence-based conclusions, according to Kamil, executive director of online strategies for InfoMotion Sports and founder of the popular online sports simulation site WhatIfSports.com. Those conclusions will form the basis for the kind of critical decisions that frequently mean the difference between winning and losing.

Kamil forwarded this idea during a presentation promoting InfoMotion's 94Fifty technology, which is built on a pretty basic premise — if you measure the motion of the basketball as a player handles it, you can get a lot of information about the player doing the handling. The system uses sensor arrays embedded into basketballs to collect a variety of data about how the ball moves when it's dribbled, shot or passed. From there, the system employs advanced algorithms to turn the information into a highly detailed player assessment.

Using the 94Fifty technology, Kamil said, you can learn how much control a player has over the ball — not only the speed of his dribble or the steadiness of his handle, but also what kind of spin he puts on the ball when he shoots it, how long it takes him to get different types of shots off in different situations, the angle and arc with which he shoots it, and more....

Note: I do not advocate the firing of KOC. But to those asking who would replace him? I would note that there are good GM candidates out there. Scott Layden did a terrific job for us, once upon a time. Kevin Pritchard is still out there. Steve Kerr. Charles Barkley says he wants to be a GM. So does AK47. Personally, I would hire The Bear.

Scott Layden, Didn't he give Ostertag his huge contract pissing off Malone and financially strapping the Jazz for years? Wasn't he GM for the NY disaster? I know Isiah made a lot of the mess in NY but Scott certainly had his hand in the mess.

I wouldn't mind Steve Kerr. Charles would be entertaining especially if Malone was an assistant but Charles has zero experience. Just because you are a great player doesn't make you a guru for finding talent. Who is the GM for SA? They always seem to have guys who know their stuff.

Good question ... have to think about that. Maybe make Layden the GM -- he was in NY -- and make Horny first assistant, hire Gordy and Malone as assistants. But that's just off the top of my head.

This thread must be a joke. ESPN said about the NY Knicks while Scott Layden was GM, and I quote; "Worst Franchise in Sports." Lovely suggestion to bring him in. His time in NY was an absolute nightmare, and you're wanting to replace a 15 year vet with a guy that lasted 3 miserable years as he built the worst franchise in sports? Hard to understand your reasoning here. We give a ton of credit to sloan, as deserved, but never really realize that we have had players that have made us competitive for 20 years despite being in the most unattractive free agent market in the league. I'm sorry KOC didn't get LeBron, or Bosh, or Kobe, or Kevin Durrant, or whoever else you're complaining about not having. Has he made mistakes? Sure, AK's contract the biggest of which. But has been a successful and great GM? Ask anybody in any front office of any team in this league, and they would undoubtedly say yes. Your reasons that you have listed for not liking him is you don't like his personality, and because he effed up our season. Wow. Your take on his "ice-cube" like personality is why you think he's bad GM? Didn't one of our previous coaches have a personality like that? And you, like every other Jazz fan, were probably pumped for this season back in October, and that's because of the team that KOC built that looked very promising. So let's now blame him for our star player quitting on the team/coach, losing our HOF head coach mid-season, and not getting our starting center back due to injury all year. Name me one team in this league that would have survived that! We not only have survived that, we have prepared for the future unbelievably well, and are still even in the playoff hunt for hell's sake! We've lost a few games and had a tough season, calm down. We have young studs on our team and have a handful of lottery picks in the immediate future. Please start cheering for the Lakers or the Heat if you can't understand the difficulty of staying competitive in a small market.

Reactions: UB
Let's wait until the next step of KOC's plan is complete: Firing Corbin and replacing him with KOC's man, Larry Brown. That will provide the long-term stability that this franchise has been lacking.

KOC has done a fair to middling job. He's found some good second rounders, but missed a lot of good players in the first round. What p'o'd Deron was how he screwed up the SG position. No one can disagree with that. Passed on both RB and Korver, and took Raja, to save money, apparently. But I still say the biggest mistake was not making an offer to Matthews. Fits with his ice cube manipulating character.

KOC has done a fair to middling job. He's found some good second rounders, but missed a lot of good players in the first round. What p'o'd Deron was how he screwed up the SG position. No one can disagree with that. Passed on both RB and Korver, and took Raja, to save money, apparently. But I still say the biggest mistake was not making an offer to Matthews. Fits with his ice cube manipulating character.

Write, you're wrong. KOC didn't make a mistake at the SG position; he knew what he was doing. He saw a logjam there and completely cleared it out.

This thread must be a joke. ESPN said about the NY Knicks while Scott Layden was GM, and I quote; "Worst Franchise in Sports." Lovely suggestion to bring him in. His time in NY was an absolute nightmare, and you're wanting to replace a 15 year vet with a guy that lasted 3 miserable years as he built the worst franchise in sports? Hard to understand your reasoning here. We give a ton of credit to sloan, as deserved, but never really realize that we have had players that have made us competitive for 20 years despite being in the most unattractive free agent market in the league. I'm sorry KOC didn't get LeBron, or Bosh, or Kobe, or Kevin Durrant, or whoever else you're complaining about not having. Has he made mistakes? Sure, AK's contract the biggest of which. But has been a successful and great GM? Ask anybody in any front office of any team in this league, and they would undoubtedly say yes. Your reasons that you have listed for not liking him is you don't like his personality, and because he effed up our season. Wow. Your take on his "ice-cube" like personality is why you think he's bad GM? Didn't one of our previous coaches have a personality like that? And you, like every other Jazz fan, were probably pumped for this season back in October, and that's because of the team that KOC built that looked very promising. So let's now blame him for our star player quitting on the team/coach, losing our HOF head coach mid-season, and not getting our starting center back due to injury all year. Name me one team in this league that would have survived that! We not only have survived that, we have prepared for the future unbelievably well, and are still even in the playoff hunt for hell's sake! We've lost a few games and had a tough season, calm down. We have young studs on our team and have a handful of lottery picks in the immediate future. Please start cheering for the Lakers or the Heat if you can't understand the difficulty of staying competitive in a small market.

I agree with your summary. KOC has now set us up for a bright future, which we did not have before the Deron trade. A few moves in the off season and we are back to being a playoff team.

All Millers are absolved of any responsibility through all of this. How write4us.

Let's wait until the next step of KOC's plan is complete: Firing Corbin and replacing him with KOC's man, Larry Brown. That will provide the long-term stability that this franchise has been lacking.

Are you kidding me?

Write, you're wrong. KOC didn't make a mistake at the SG position; he knew what he was doing. He saw a logjam there and completely cleared it out.

Can't tell if serious. Are you?

I agree with your summary. KOC has now set us up for a bright future, which we did not have before the Deron trade. A few moves in the off season and we are back to being a playoff team.

Yeah, we're contenders.