What's new

Assuming we're tanking ...

idiot

What shape do you want the tank to take?

• How long/how deep? -- a full three-year serious tank would allow us to keep our 1st rounder pick owed to OKC (and have it turn into a 2nd), I believe. It would also increase the odds of finding a player or a few worth building around. But full tanks probably also hurt the economic bottom line of the franchise, including by turning off a lot of less-extreme fans.
  • What draft picks to target? -- sooner draft picks likely to be worse; later picks offer more variability (if not protected too much) but will pan out later (if the picks we get pan out at all) and likely extend the tank
  • Do we target a young player with potential coming back in any Donovan trade (Barrett, Herro, etc.)? Does having such a player make it hard to tank effectively? Does not getting such a player just make our draft-capital return worse (since the team we trade Donovan to will be better)? Is there a player that can be trusted to build around? (I'd argue that OKC's Shai is fairly unique in buying into the tank and not wanting out of years of losing; he's also unique in that he's generally acknowledged to be a true major asset around the league, I suspect, unlike Barrett or Herro perhaps). Does picking up a player who will soon require a large salary bump defeat the purpose of having lots of cap flexibility?
  • Does it make sense to acquire a large negative asset? Westbrook's salary is great for tanking purposes, but is he enough of a floor raiser to ruin our own 2023 pick if he plays? Simmons is a rehabilitation play, but does his long-term contract handicap us too much if his value never rises? Are there any other contracts that would make sense for our situation?

The way I look at it is you absolutely crater the build the likes of which has rarely ever been seen now, then you try to win and build earnestly from that point. At that point - if you make it a point to not trade any picks for players - the team will probably be organically bad for a few years, but you spare yourself the shame of actively throwing games and you get the benefits of tanking for that window of time.

If the Jazz hit on some picks big and they get 'too good too fast', well that's just fine.

Ah, yes... Sounds like a convo between me and @Hearsky and @Handlogten's Heros moms.
hotdog-down.gif

The way I look at it is you absolutely crater the build the likes of which has rarely ever been seen now, then you try to win and build earnestly from that point. At that point - if you make it a point to not trade any picks for players - the team will probably be organically bad for a few years, but you spare yourself the shame of actively throwing games and you get the benefits of tanking for that window of time.

If the Jazz hit on some picks big and they get 'too good too fast', well that's just fine.
Yeah, I think I'm there. I don't see the point of trying to get back a good player that you're depending on to lead the rebuild (unless it's just the perfect guy -- no idea who that would be).

We don't have our 2024 pick right? Why tank?
From what i could find shearching on google, It is protected top10 in 2024 and 2025, then drops to top8 in 2026. If anything, i'd say it gives us extra incentive to start tanking sooner than later, as we have more control over our pick in 2024 and 2025, than 2026.

Last edited:
We need three high level players. Is that tanking three years in a row, or three hits next year or worse we don't do that for a few years? Next year's draft is really good and we get three quality starters next year and we exit the tank quickly.