What's new

Athletic article about Conley trade

HermanG

Jon Krawcynski did an interview with Conley focused around the trade to Wolves.

Its obvious from that interview that Conley did not want to get traded and even though he had expected it might happen earlier in the season, he had already kinda dropped the idea. He wasnt happy about it, and his first text to his wife Mary was "I'm so mad right now".

They have all settled well in Minnesota though, and seem happy. Conley is also pretty excited about his role and the team's potential.

Also one other thing that was interesting. We were speculating about "why we included Minny in that deal", but that article says that Tim Connelly was actually the architect of that deal even though it piggybacked the earlier trade discussions we had had with Lakers.

They wanted and needed Conley to bring an adult leader to the locker room and to unlock Gobert.

Also one other thing that was interesting. We were speculating about "why we included Minny in that deal", but that article says that Tim Connelly was actually the architect of that deal even though it piggybacked the earlier trade discussions we had had with Lakers.

They wanted and needed Conley to bring an adult leader to the locker room and to unlock Gobert.

The Lakers absolutely fumbled that entire deal they should have just cut Minnesota out completely.

He definitely owned us on that trade. Getting NAW thrown in plus a bunch of 2nds was just stupid. NAW has been ultimate utility guy for them and exactly what our team needs. He would be hands down our best perimeter defender and a great overall complimentary piece. Unfortunately Hardy didn't like him so we gave up a guy that should have been the perfect long term role player for us. **** Hardy!

We got really poor return for Mike trade. Amd make Minny much better. The pick we got from Rudy trade loose a lot of value. Definitly not a good trade.
It's way too early to make that judgement. This year really doesn't matter at all and next year Mike will be 37. Anyone that was expecting high lottery picks from Minny is a fool but we should get at least another decent pick out of what we have left. As far as the laker pick goes who the hell knows at this point.

We got really poor return for Mike trade. Amd make Minny much better. The pick we got from Rudy trade loose a lot of value. Definitly not a good trade.
I'm not so sure. It's hard to say how much it changed the '23 pick, but probably not very much. It's also hard to see Mike being a key piece down the line. I don't care how well the Wolves do this year, after all.

So to recap we saved a bunch of money to make our pick better and the twolves pick worse We also get a shot at a top 4 protected lakers 1st pick in 2027(I viewed the help Mike would give Rudy as quite significant since Rudy was a mess without Mike). We also did one of the nicest guys in the league wrong and he was not happy about it. We lost Beasley NAW and Vanderbilt which were reasonable rotation players.

Regarding outcome of schedule the Wolves seemed to be lateral. 30-28 at time of trade, 43-41 end of season (No impact, though it's not what I expected at the time) This is the Keyonte pick I'm guessing, so it would be incorrect in my view to say this trade got us Keyonte.
Jazz 27-29 at time of trade, 37-45 at end of season. We went from borderline playoff to pick 9 and into the lottery. That's a significant difference and was amazing if we would have hit the lottery.

Now that I typed it out, I think it was a logical move to get the chance at the lottery. I hated helping the Wolves, but for a chance at the lottery I think it was worth it. Typing it out actually changed my mind. At the time I hated the trade.

Last edited: