What's new

ATL trade

Jazz fan since 79

In light of KOC being spotted on a plane to Atlanta and Marvin Williams' trade request, what do you think of Marvin Williams and Kirk Hinrich for Big Al. (This works according the ESPN's trade machin.)

This would give the Jazz a real 3 (and the other Williams from the 2005 draft) and a point guard that has often been talked about on this board (albeit he is older now). Plus Hinrich's $8.1 million contract comes off the books at the end of the year.

This trade would also free up minutes from the young bigs and "force" KOC to find a new home for Harris.

In light of KOC being spotted on a plane to Atlanta and Marvin Williams' trade request, what do you think of Marvin Williams and Kirk Hinrich for Big Al. (This works according the ESPN's trade machin.)

This would give the Jazz a real 3 (and the other Williams from the 2005 draft) and a point guard that has often been talked about on this board (albeit he is older now). Plus Hinrich's $8.1 million contract comes off the books at the end of the year.

This trade would also free up minutes from the young bigs and "force" KOC to find a new home for Harris.

LOL this trade reminds me of the scene in Moneyball where the GM traded away their star in Pena to free up minutes for a new player (cos the coach refused to play the new guy).

Wonder if KOC is having the same problem with Ty? Or are they on the same page regarding limited minutes for youngins?

LOL this trade reminds me of the scene in Moneyball where the GM traded away their star in Pena to free up minutes for a new player (cos the coach refused to play the new guy).

Wonder if KOC is having the same problem with Ty? Or are they on the same page regarding limited minutes for youngins?

It's also the smart thing to do to trade one of those big guys while their value is high instead of simply sitting them and draining their value.

With Horford out the rest of the year, it does make some sense for both sides. Marvin is a bust relative to where he was picked (#2), but is still a useful player. He is long, athletic, a good defender, and can hit the three at a respectable rate. He is only 25 and has a reasonable contract through 2014.

Hinrich's stats indicate he's further done than even Harris is... is there something I'm missing?

Williams would be great though.. 44% from 3, still young, could fill in for CJ and Howard moving forward.

I'm not a big Williams fan, but I'd do this deal just for the sake of doing something. I'm bored.

It's one of the better thought out trades I've seen proposed, so good news there. Seems to help ATL without giving up too much. Even if Hinrich isn't an improvement over Harris, his deal is up this year, not next. I think they'd be willing to do this especially if they also got rid of Harris in antother deal.

However, I don't think KOC's flight to ATL is any indication of a deal in discussions. These deals are done over the phone. Even when they are discussed at the All-Star break or league meetings, they are usually finalized later when the parties aren't face-to-face. I've never heard of a trade where someone had to travel to the other team's HQ in order to negotiate a swap.

I think it's more likely KOC was either:
(a) travelling to Orlando, but catching a college game or two on his way,
(b) travelling to Orlando, arriving early to bug the other 29 GMs' hotel room phones,
(c) travelling to Orlando to visit Harry Potter at Universal, 'cause he heard it was just that magical, OR
(d) travelling to Orlando for a day or two off, where he could scare Disney water park visitors with his hairy back.

Damn man! We can do better then that in a trade for Al. Harris and Howard should do the trick for Williams. I have no interest in Hinrich. I'd rather start Tinsley and let Watson back him up, and have Burks be the emergency pg.

Yea I would do this trade. Perhaps the Jazz could get another team involved so we could get rid of Harris and CJ.

Not a bad trade IMO. And FWIW, KOC was NOT seen on the connecting flight my hubby took to Orlando. So he may well have gone somewhere else or even stayed in Atlanta unless he switched airlines or something.

Damn man! We can do better then that in a trade for Al. Harris and Howard should do the trick for Williams. I have no interest in Hinrich. I'd rather start Tinsley and let Watson back him up, and have Burks be the emergency pg.

I agree that we should get more for Big Al, but there's no way Atlanta would take Harris and Howard for Williams. They already have a good PG and are deep at the wings. They need an inside game in the worst way. I'm not against trading Big Al for Williams and Hinrich, but only if a 3rd team is involved and we get another pick or another decent player.

To determine Al's value, look what we gave up to get him.

Having Hinrich's expiring would mean we could give Harris to the Lakers for nothing.

I'd rather wait until next year and get something for his expiring deal. But, I'm with you in spirit: get me as far away from that dude as soon as possible.

Damn, I had forgotten that ATL was without Horford. They're hemorrhaging. they need Al. I think they go to the playoffs with him (or someone like him), and miss the playoffs without.

Get a deal done.