What's new

Aussie part owner !!

Hmm...

I wish it said details about how much he owns. This kind of came out of left field. Are the Jazz going to move to Sydney? Does this mean Jazz and utahjazzz are going to come back and be even more insufferable?

Homeboy is worth 15B... holy ****. Well I guess we can pay the tax.

Ryan Smith talked about this a bit in his interview today. Said he was looking for people to be partners that can add value to the business, like how he has run Qualtrics. Mentioned two guys, not sure if they are both Australian or not. They both said yes immediately when he asked, which he said almost never happens. Sounded like they are there mainly for advice and that he will be making all of the decisions. Also, he wants the Jazz to be the favorite team of all Australians. :)

Ryan Smith talked about this a bit in his interview today. Said he was looking for people to be partners that can add value to the business, like how he has run Qualtrics. Mentioned two guys, not sure if they are both Australian or not. They both said yes immediately when he asked, which he said almost never happens. Sounded like they are there mainly for advice and that he will be making all of the decisions. Also, he wants the Jazz to be the favorite team of all Australians. :)
Walden tweeted out a profile on the guy... sounds like his investment was in the hundreds of millions... he’s got lots of money... seems passionate too. I’m not worried about luxury tax now... we good.

Being Australian, this is all good and well, but hopefully it shouldn't mean anything except perhaps the occasional exhibition game. We should be bringing basketball talent into the team based on merit and skill as opposed to concentrating on 'where they come from'..

So wait. The Jazz are now owned by dudes who are childhood fans of the team? Is there another NBA team like that?

So wait. The Jazz are now owned by dudes who are childhood fans of the team? Is there another NBA team like that?

The linked article @ NBA approves Ryan Smith as new owner of Utah Jazz - ABC News (go.com) indicates Ryan Smith as being quoted as saying the following:
"Adam Silver said some people get the rare, rare opportunity to get a piece or even an entire NBA team," Smith said. "He said, 'But no one, no one gets their team.' For me to be in a spot here where we get to start this new chapter with our team is why this is so unique, but it's also daunting, right?"

Seems the probability would be that other owners likely purchased a team because they were fans of basketball in general as opposed to them being a fan of the team they are buying.

Ryan Smith was supposed to be a Jazz fan.. However, not sure if Cannon-Brookes would have been as he was around my age.. Almost everyone my age back then were stereotypically fans of the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls or Suns and anything else was super rare as other teams were a lot less popular.

Last edited: