What's new

Avery Johnson (Nets New Coach)

Mambo

https://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5268483

Sources: Nets, Johnson agreeEmail Print Comments21 By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive
The New Jersey Nets and ESPN analyst Avery Johnson have reached a verbal agreement to hire Johnson as the Nets' new coach, according to sources close to the process.

Johnson, who has been working for ESPN since his dismissal from the Dallas Mavericks after the 2007-08 season, was the NBA's Coach of the Year in 2005 and took the Mavs to the NBA Finals in 2006. He posted a record of 194-70 in three-plus seasons, good for a winning percentage of .735, and will be reunited in New Jersey with point guard Devin Harris.

Johnson was a finalist for the coaching job in Atlanta, having met Saturday with Hawks general manager Rick Sund for his third in-person visit with the team. The Hawks are expected to make their choice this week, after conducting multiple interviews with Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey, holdover Hawks assistant Larry Drew, ESPN analyst Mark Jackson and Johnson.

The arrival of Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov as the Nets' new owner initially prompted speculation that New Jersey would try to lure Duke's Mike Krzyzewski to the pros with an offer of $12 million to $15 million annually.

The Nets also had strong interest in ESPN/ABC analyst Jeff Van Gundy, but Van Gundy told team president Rod Thorn that he wanted to stay in television for at least one more season.

Johnson was the only known candidate to get a face-to-face interview with Thorn, although Boston Celtics assistant coach Tom Thibodeau did have phone discussions with the Nets before striking a verbal agreement with the Chicago Bulls.

ESPN.com reported in early April that Harris was making a hard internal push for his former coach in Dallas, despite the fact that Johnson rode Harris hard as he was learning the nuances of NBA point guard play.

I like it because I like Avery. I'm not sure it does anything to bolster their appeal to Free Agents though.

I'm glad that coach K rumor was never serious, Mike K isn't worth 12-15 million/yr no matter how big Russian Billionaire's pockets really are.

I'm glad that coach K rumor was never serious, Mike K isn't worth 12-15 million/yr no matter how big Russian Billionaire's pockets really are.
I can't imagine Coach K ever in the NBA. It just wouldn't look or feel right. Personally, I don't think he's interested in it either.

I don't know if Avery is a good coach or not, but ya gotta wonder how anybody could stand to listen to that voice of his for very long, ya know?

I'm just glad he's out from the commentating booth. His voice was worse than Stephen A's.

Now all we need is to get rid of Reggie Miller and Mark Jackson...

funny if you think about it, one of the worst teams of all time get's a coach with the highest winning percentage in NBA history. i don't know how avery is as a coach but i give him credit for taking a job that most wouldn't. A new owner(with loads of spending money) + a new coach, exciting time for new jersey.

...I've got no problems with this move by the Nets. The real pathetic choice was the 76er's hiring Doug Collins! Talk about worthless! Collins was a turrible player, turrible announcer and turrible coach! He took the job for the money, because the 76er's have absolutely no chance of playing anywhere near .500 ball. And the 76er's hired him because, well....they're brain dead!

napoleon.jpg

avery.jpg

Whatever else he is or aint, Collins wuz a damn good baller in his day.

...he had a very short career....8 years only....but he did end up with a career shooting percentage of 50%! Seemed to me when I saw him play with the 76er's and Dr. J....he was forcing up as many shots as those knot-heads (World B. Free, George McGinnis, Dr. J....and of course, your favorite homie...Darrel Dawkins!)

Chocolate Thunder, that perv, he ROCKS, eh, CJ!?

Only them po glass backboards could ever think he took bad shots, I figure.

...I was at a Nets/76er's game back in the late 70's or early 80's.....had just about front row seats mid-court for the game.....and saw Dawkins really close up! His body was chiseled, zero body fat, and very wide shoulders! He stood 6 foot 11 inches....and with that body he should have been able to STUMBLE into 10 rebounds a game! But because he didn't have a single, solitary basketball brain in is body, I think the best he could do was a 7 rebound average one year! Pathetic, really sad!

But because he didn't have a single, solitary basketball brain in is body, I think the best he could do was a 7 rebound average one year! Pathetic, really sad!

Mo Malone shoulda schooled his sorry ***, eh, CJ? Malone was brilliant! For every shot he took, he got 2 rebounds AND a bucket. He would just kinda throw it up there, tip it when it came off the rim, and then tip in it after the first tip rolled off.

Actually, he probably got 3, 4, or 5 rebounds per shot, come to think about it.

Last edited:
As for Chocolate...lemme just say I seena million rebounds in my day, but I aint hardly never seen no busted up backboards. Well worth the price of the ticket, that alone!

Not to even mention that Chocolate was the best damn poet since Muhammad Ali, eh? He invented rappin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX7TSWStfVs