What's new

Backup PG thoughts

What are Ridnour and Dickau up to?

We need a quick pg off the bench that we could play with dwill against certain teanms like the nugs who like to play 2 pgs at the same time

Jeremy Pargo- This kid can jump and is so quick

sherron collins-winner in college just need to drop a few pounds

Denver got lawson and play him and billups at the same time

Would like patty mills to get a go - is a restricted FA - even if it just pushes the price up that portland pay for him!

When do the jazz have to decide on signing Gaines vs picking up another backup? Anyone know?

When do the jazz have to decide on signing Gaines vs picking up another backup? Anyone know?
I believe the Jazz have until July 23rd to withdraw their QO. That would make Gaines an UFA. After that, renouncing a QO must be done by mutual consent.
As for Gaines, if he plays for the QO this season, he becomes an UFA next summer. Alternately, he and the Jazz could work out a longer-term contract. Same for Jeffers.
So, IINM, July 23rd is really the date KOC wants to have the roster pretty much set. Of course, the Jazz could sign a couple of players and still keep Yada and/or Othyus. But I think all signs point to Evans being on the roster. I also think the Jazz will go with the 13-player minimum since they're already into luxury tax territory.

I believe the Jazz have until July 23rd to withdraw their QO. That would make Gaines an UFA. After that, renouncing a QO must be done by mutual consent.
As for Gaines, if he plays for the QO this season, he becomes an UFA next summer. Alternately, he and the Jazz could work out a longer-term contract. Same for Jeffers.
So, IINM, July 23rd is really the date KOC wants to have the roster pretty much set. Of course, the Jazz could sign a couple of players and still keep Yada and/or Othyus. But I think all signs point to Evans being on the roster. I also think the Jazz will go with the 13-player minimum since they're already into luxury tax territory.

Thanks for the info - didn't realize it was this Friday. So hopefully KOC will sign Evans and Fes and have one more trick up his sleeve.

Earl Watson and Etan Thomas

Earl, may be too expensive but if the Millers are interested in making this club deep and talented they should add these two parts.

Earl is a lock down defender. He was given the reigns in Seattle for a year to train Ridnoir, but played so well that they re upped his contract and gave him the full MLE. He just came off that contract two years ago and signed a one year $2.8M contract with Indiana. He aslo has ties to KOC through KOC's ties to UCLA. We pursued him a couple years ago, but then settled for Fisher. He would be a perfect back up PG, and would add a more potent scoring and defending impact than Price. We should then trade Price to make the move of marginal impact to our cap situation. Then sign Gaines for the minimum or some other rookie at the minimum.

Etan Thomas is the guy I would like to see. He is a tough defensive C. He has one of the best Blocks rate in the league and would add some real nastiness.

DWill/Earl Watson
Bell/Hayward
Ak/Cj
Milsap/AK/Evans
Jefferson/Okur/Thomas/Fes

We didn't sign Gaines/Jeffers to QO is the problem with this theory, we signed them through the rest of last season, and to non-guaranteed offers for this season. So we can let them leave whenever they want.

...we need to rid this squad of all knuckleheads, numbnuts and brain dead basketball dummies. If a player has any of those tendencies, don't touch him with a ten foot pole!

After both players finished their second 10-day contract last season, they were, per league rules, signed for the remainder of the season. However, both contracts also included a second non-guaranteed year for the minimum salary for a 1-year veteran. Thus both Gaines and Jeffers are currently on the Jazz roster, and either can be cut at any time between now and January 8 and will come off our salary cap once they clear waivers (or are claimed off waivers). However, if either has not been waived by January 8, their contracts will become guaranteed for the rest of the season on January 10 (they have to clear waivers or else they are still considered to be on a roster).

We didn't sign Gaines/Jeffers to QO is the problem with this theory, we signed them through the rest of last season, and to non-guaranteed offers for this season. So we can let them leave whenever they want.

Thanks for the correction. You are right. QO's were made to Fesenko and Matthews, but Gaines and Jeffers are on non-guaranteed contracts. So we really have until the end of December, I believe. At some point in January, all non-guaranteed contracts become guaranteed for the remainder of the season.

EDIT: Thanks, Mantis for providing the exact date above. I knew it was early January.

i still desperately want the jazz to land shannon brown although it is highly unlikely because of the addition of bell and the fact that we are over spending money. heres to hoping though.

Earl, may be too expensive but if the Millers are interested in making this club deep and talented they should add these two parts.

Earl is a lock down defender. He was given the reigns in Seattle for a year to train Ridnoir, but played so well that they re upped his contract and gave him the full MLE. He just came off that contract two years ago and signed a one year $2.8M contract with Indiana. He aslo has ties to KOC through KOC's ties to UCLA. We pursued him a couple years ago, but then settled for Fisher. He would be a perfect back up PG, and would add a more potent scoring and defending impact than Price. We should then trade Price to make the move of marginal impact to our cap situation. Then sign Gaines for the minimum or some other rookie at the minimum.

Etan Thomas is the guy I would like to see. He is a tough defensive C. He has one of the best Blocks rate in the league and would add some real nastiness.

DWill/Earl Watson
Bell/Hayward
Ak/Cj
Milsap/AK/Evans
Jefferson/Okur/Thomas/Fes

Etan is even more pricey than Watson. I just saw Watson's numbers and read he started ahead of TJ Ford for Indiana. Thought the same thing; the perfect backup PG. Any idea why Indiana hasn't re-signed him?? Maybe he wants to be get on a playoff team; dunno...

Etan Thomas would be good for a team looking to get a little nasty this year. But will they just sign Fess and call it an offseason as far as bigs are concerned?