What's new

Backup PG?

Foye is gone and so far no backup PG signed. Speculation it will be Tinsley. But why haven't the Jazz signed him yet? My thought is that the Jazz are trying to get clearance for Neto to play this year. If not, they sign Tinsley and Burks will be the other PG in either case. Note that Burks did play the point yesterday briefly during the Summer League game. Thoughts?

Foye is gone and so far no backup PG signed. Speculation it will be Tinsley. But why haven't the Jazz signed him yet? My thought is that the Jazz are trying to get clearance for Neto to play this year. If not, they sign Tinsley and Burks will be the other PG in either case. Note that Burks did play the point yesterday briefly during the Summer League game. Thoughts?

This is what I am thinking as well. Seems to me that they are pushing hard for Neto to be here now.

If creating chemistry and learning to play together is a major concern for the franchise right now then bringing over Neto is a no brainer. They should want to find out what he can do and if he fits with the other players on this team. We are going to struggle a lot this year anyway.

I don't think Neto has anything to do with it. It's tough as hell for any rookie PG to take the reigns of a team and start from day 1. Even if Lindsay and Co. think Burke can start from the get go, I can promise you that they are not waiting to see if their other rookie PG can come over and be his primary backup. Even if Neto gets clearance to come over this season, he will be the #3 with somebody like Tinsley backing up Burke.

I don't think Neto has anything to do with it. It's tough as hell for any rookie PG to take the reigns of a team and start from day 1. Even if Lindsay and Co. think Burke can start from the get go, I can promise you that they are not waiting to see if their other rookie PG can come over and be his primary backup. Even if Neto gets clearance to come over this season, he will be the #3 with somebody like Tinsley backing up Burke.

Also McNeal is under contract. True that it is unprotected but I could see our PGs being Burke, Neto, McNeal.

Also McNeal is under contract. True that it is unprotected but I could see our PGs being Burke, Neto, McNeal.
I think Burks would be backup PG over both Neto (unless he proves he is better at PG than Burks) and McNeal.
So I see our PG rotation as Burke, Burks, Neto/McNeal.

Last edited:
Last year McNeal averaged 5.5 assists per game in the DLeague. Mo averaged 6 assists, Earl averaged 4.4 and Tinsley 4.0. I think McNeal is your guy unless the knee doesn't hold up.

I'm guessing Tinsley is looking for a multi-year deal and the Jazz are offering one year. So he's waiting a bit. Jazz might also be waiting until they have a chance to evaluate Burke during summer league, to determine if they need a starter or a backup. I don't think it's a given that Burke is the starter.

I'm guessing Tinsley is looking for a multi-year deal and the Jazz are offering one year. So he's waiting a bit. Jazz might also be waiting until they have a chance to evaluate Burke during summer league, to determine if they need a starter or a backup. I don't think it's a given that Burke is the starter.

While I definitely see your point there, I think Burke will be the starter. By the time summer league ends, there won't be any decent starting caliber point guards available in free agency and we have nothing enticing to trade that we are willing to part with.... I think the Jazz see Burke as their starter next year.

While I definitely see your point there, I think Burke will be the starter. By the time summer league ends, there won't be any decent starting caliber point guards available in free agency and we have nothing enticing to trade that we are willing to part with.... I think the Jazz see Burke as their starter next year.

Not that I am necessarily right.. but I have zero doubt that's true.

There is ZERO chance Utah goes into the season with a PG depth chart that features Burke, Neto, and McNeal. Book it.

There is no way you can determine if you are right. Even if it is not Burke, Neto, McNeal that does not mean the chance was never there.