What's new

Ballot reform and other ideas

♪alt13

I think that it's clear to most people that our system is not providing us with the choices that we want. Only a small minority of voters are satisfied with the candidates. Further most people seem to be dissatisfied with how our legislative system functions in general. What are some reforms that you think would help to enhance democracy or simply make the system work better? I would like this to be a discussion about issues that aren't super partisan. The gears and the structure of government. The stuff that kinda gets pushed aside by arguments about abortion or other divisive issues.(please don't respond to Boris)

One thing that I would like to see is ballot reform. Below is one option for ballot reform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZiS3U7EG0M

What are some reforms that you think would help to enhance democracy or simply make the system work better?

Here's an idea - how about 9 Supreme Court Justices instead of 8? We're rapidly approaching 180 without a full Supreme Court - in other words a government that doesn't have a true balance of power.

Why this is not an outrage to everyone in this country that is not a partisan hack is beyond me.

Maybe we should pass a federal law that all students must take and pass a civics class - then we can check back in 20 years to see best how to reform the democracy.

No electoral college.
Go with popular vote.

No electoral college.
Go with popular vote.

I'm not sure that would work. Every election and every ballot could end up being challenged in court. A national recount for instance seems like it would not be possible. I could be wrong but a national popular vote seems like it would be chalenging to pull off.

Better in one way leads to worse in another. What's important to you, fundamentally, about the voting process?

Would you quit with the whole Karate kid bit? No more "Wax on wax off", eh

I think that the later-no-harm criterion is a reasonable goal. link

I think that it's clear to most people that our system is not providing us with the choices that we want.

Let me get this straight. I want to understand exactly what you are saying: We have a system that votes in primaries for a preferred candidate who then goes on to the general election, yet you think it is clear that our system is not providing us with the choice that you/we/us want.

Is that the message you are trying to send?

Good video, I don't dislike the concept. I hate the fact that he uses labels like "centrist" and "extremist" candidates though, I'd like to know what he means by this. He also assumes that this system would favor the more, in his words, centrist candidates.

Also, any electronic device is subject to be hacked to manipulate the data. I say start with going back to paper ballot vote counting, with a representative from each party overlooking the process. It's how it's done in Spain and I've never heard of electoral fraud over there. It's quick too, around 20 million votes get counted and you reach 100% scrutiny within 3-4 hours.

Also, any electronic device is subject to be hacked to manipulate the data. I say start with going back to paper ballot vote counting, with a representative from each party overlooking the process. It's how it's done in Spain and I've never heard of electoral fraud over there. It's quick too, around 20 million votes get counted and you reach 100% scrutiny within 3-4 hours.

Oh please. How is paper ballot going to upset the corrupt two parties? First we have DNC forcing Hillary on to us then we have GOP trying to make us vote Bush an smearing the anti establishment candidates.
We gave them the old two finger salute this time. Go Trump!

Term limits
Popular vote in all elections
Long hard look at level of access and donations from lobbyists
No more life time pensions for congress and other similar positions

Oh please. How is paper ballot going to upset the corrupt two parties? First we have DNC forcing Hillary on to us then we have GOP trying to make us vote Bush an smearing the anti establishment candidates.
We gave them the old two finger salute this time. Go Trump!

Are you really this short sighted? What if Hillary wins against Trump via electoral fraud? Of course there are other things that need to be changed in the electoral system in order for anti establishment candidates to have a fair chance at being elected but the method for counting the votes still needs to be addressed imo.

Open primaries that take the top three popular candidates.

This would make the candidates who appeal to the border public the ones that are getting through to the general.

More representation in the Senate and House, whiteout gerrymandered districts. For instance, if districts were like a city council instead of a single person, each subset of voters could have their candidate elected and be represented.

Also, mandatory five day work week for the house and Senate.

Are you really this short sighted? What if Hillary wins against Trump via electoral fraud? Of course there are other things that need to be changed in the electoral system in order for anti establishment candidates to have a fair chance at being elected but the method for counting the votes still needs to be addressed imo.

I have solutions.
Elect Trump, than get rid of the stupid FDR 2 term rule.
He will invade Diebold you know they are corrupt right? They choose are presidents.
America needs a mayor not a president. Trump will make America great again like Bloomberg did in New York. They were smart enough to allow a third term. Trump for mayor of USA, Kasich for president.
Trump should be given four terms. We need a outsider with time to fight the establishment.

Term limits
Popular vote in all elections
Long hard look at level of access and donations from lobbyists
No more life time pensions for congress and other similar positions

Let's.. evaluate term limits at a different level. Globally, in the financial as well as political spectrums, term limits yield mixed results.

Popular Vote - Let's do it.

Donations/Lobbyists/Big Money in Politics; combining with a previous conversation about Gary Johnson - he's pro Citizens United. He thinks transparency will solve the problem; although we already have a certain level of transparency that hasn't made a huge impact. Mix that in with the question of who's going to oversee this transparency when you're peddling a dramatically smaller government and he reveals himself to really not have thought this out very far at all.

Pensions; Axed. 401k remains, but pensions removed.

I have solutions.
Elect Trump, than get rid of the stupid FDR 2 term rule.
He will invade Diebold you know they are corrupt right? They choose are presidents.
America needs a mayor not a president. Trump will make America great again like Bloomberg did in New York. They were smart enough to allow a third term. Trump for mayor of USA, Kasich for president.
Trump should be given four terms. We need a outsider with time to fight the establishment.
That's not enough terms

That's not enough terms

It is for Mr. Trump. He knows how to get results.
I bet Donald will even kill right wing radio an get democrats and republicans to stop bickering an work together again like we did right after 9/11 an voted to invade Iraq.