What's new

Basketball Junkie

I am getting that one on my kindle. It looks pretty good.

Just put it on my wife's ipad for me to read. After all the other books I've been meaning to read.

I used to go to open-gym practices once in a while at Fresno State growing up. Got to meet Chris Herren a couple of times, became a huge fan of him. He was a helluva player at Fresno, was a key part of their best teams in school history. So much wasted potential, but I'm glad to see he got his life turned around. Looking forward to reading this.

I distinctly remember a game against Boston about 10 years ago where Malone put down one the most ferocious dunks I've ever seen on Herren. Herren's reaction was comical - the poor dude had no business in the NBA.

I'm glad he turned his life around because the Rolling Stone article (which was written while he was at Fresno State) that they refer to in the link made him look like an obnoxious idiot.

I just finished reading Herren's book - reads less like an autobiography and more like a really, really long winded guy at an AA meeting.

I will say he offers a unique perspective to playing in the NBA while addicted to opiates - unfortunately that's only a small part of the book. Regardless, how you can possibly play at an NBA level while addicted to drugs like oxycontin and heroin is completely beyond me. Makes you wonder how good he could have been.

I'm in the middle of it now. Fall River Dreams is one of the better sports books I've ever read. It's by Reynolds and documents Durfee's season and the meaning of the team in that town. Highly recommended and a much better book than Basketball Junkie.