What's new

BasketballInsiders: Rudy Gobert is Ahead of Schedule

Ugh, when is this myth ever gonna stop. Look right down here kid, tell me what you see:

Kenneth Faried went 22nd in 2011.
Marc Gasol went 48th in 2007.
Rajon Rondo went 21st in 2006.
Tony Parker went 28th in 2001.
Manu Ginobili went 57th in 1999.
Kobe Bryant went 13th in 1996.
Steve Nash went 15th in 1996.
Shawn Kemp went 17th in 1989.
Karl Malone went 13th in 1985.
Joe Dumars went 18th in 1985.
John Stockton went 16th in 1984.
Clyde Drexler went 14th in 1983.
Alex English went 23rd in 1976.

You know, just to name a few...

This is a horrible response. If you wanted to be fair (you don't) then you would find a way to compare top 5 picks success v. 6-10, 11-15 and 16-20 or something similar.

But since we are using horrible examples. Paul Millsap went in the second round so clearly that is where one wants to draft. Trade all the first rounders, they are useless anyways...

Lebron James went number 1 in 2003
Anthony Davis was drafted first
Tim Duncan was drafted first.
Kevin Durant second
Dwayne wade fifth
Shaq was the first pick
Jordan was the second pick
Hakeem was the first pick

Those guys all suck compared to jamezzzzzzzz list though.

Ugh, when is this myth ever gonna stop. Look right down here kid, tell me what you see:

No, just to name them all. Over the course of 40 years. Shall I make a list consisting of top 8 picks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a horrible response. If you wanted to be fair (you don't) then you would find a way to compare top 5 picks success v. 6-10, 11-15 and 16-20 or something similar.

But since we are using horrible examples. Paul Millsap went in the second round so clearly that is where one wants to draft. Trade all the first rounders, they are useless anyways...

LOL ok, I'll take it to the extreme too since it seems you're a fan of doing this. Let's lose all the games from here to end of the season, the more losses the better right?
Sorry you're not gonna get me to buy into this pile of you know what, keep trying...

I asked a simple question.
If you could have the 1st pick or the 10th pick, which would you rather have

LOL ok, I'll take it to the extreme too since it seems you're a fan of doing this. Let's lose all the games from here to end of the season, the more losses the better right?
Sorry you're not gonna get me to buy into this pile of you know what, keep trying...
I'm not asking the jazz to lose, or even rooting for losses.
But when losses happen, I'm happy about it because a better draft pick > than a worse one imo

I asked a simple question.
If you could have the 1st pick or the 10th pick, which would you rather have

Duh, the 1st pick, so I can draft a Greg Oden kind of player. What I'm saying is that top picks are overrated imo. Yes it's nice to draft a top 3 pick but you've gotta make sure at what cost. At the cost of the team sucking for so long that your current players want out? Careful what you wish for buddy.

Plus, 'soon I will be sitting on top of the world' anyway, according to this Chinese fortune cookie I just opened. So I don't give a dump.

Last edited:

You just listed 10 players in 40 years outside of the top 10. There are probably over a 100 superstar type of players in the same period of time drafted in the top 10. Nobody is saying you can't luck out and draft good players outside of the top 10. What is true though is that the chance is miniscule when compared to the chance you have when you draft in the top 10.

You could have drafted the John Stocktons and Karl Malones even in the top 10 if you wished. You cannot draft the Jordans and Lebrons outside of the top 10... That's the thing - getting the most possibilities to make the best decision. The only reason we got Malone and Stockton is that 12 and 15 other teams had the chance to draft them and didn't.

What it boils down to is - do you want our management to have the most expansive player pool to pick from or do you want 10-15 teams to pick before us. What gives you a better chance to land a franchise player?

Duh, the 1st pick, so I can draft a Greg Oden kind of player. What I'm saying is that top picks are overrated imo. Yes it's nice to draft a top 3 pick but you've gotta make sure at what cost. At the cost of the team sucking for so long that your current players want out? Careful what you wish for buddy.

Plus, 'soon I will be sitting on top of the world' anyway, according to this Chinese wish cookie I just opened. So I don't give a dump.

Yes. You got it right. The top picks are definitely over rated. I mean who wants lebron on their team?

You just listed 10 players in 40 years outside of the top 10. There are probably over a 100 superstar type of players in the same period of time drafted in the top 10. Nobody is saying you can't luck out and draft good players outside of the top 10. What is true though is that the chance is miniscule when compared to the chance you have when you draft in the top 10.

You could have drafted the John Stocktons and Karl Malones even in the top 10 if you wished. You cannot draft the Jordans and Lebrons outside of the top 10... That's the thing - getting the most possibilities to make the best decision. The only reason we got Malone and Stockton is that 12 and 15 other teams had the chance to draft them and didn't.

What it boils down to is - do you want our management to have the most expansive player pool to pick from or do you want 10-15 teams to pick before us. What gives you a better chance to land a franchise player?

Yes this is what I want, forever. I want us to be able to get the 1st pick for eternity.

Yes this is what I want, forever. I want us to be able to get the 1st pick for eternity.

Then you'd be the only one on this board.

In any event it's a FAILED system when this kind of talk needs to happen...

I agree. When we all have to explain this to you it is an example of a failed educational system.

Have fun trolling.

Jamezz, we clearly do not have the players on our team right now to ever contend for a title. Maybe we could be a 7th or 8th seed at our peak with this roster, but even that's not a for sure thing. We need better players.

Our greatest chance at acquiring those players is through the draft. Our greatest chance at acquiring the best player available in the draft is to get the earliest pick possible. Nobody wants to be in the lottery forever, we want to have a winning team. Unfortunately, we aren't the Lakers, or the Heat, or the Knicks where we have the capability to reel in big time free agents. Do I want to be in the lottery? Of course not, I want to have a good team, but I still realize that the lottery system is our greatest chance at acquiring a player that will make us become a great team.

Understand?

attachment.php

Attachments

• gzazy.jpg
    gzazy.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 51
Years old memes... Teenagers everywhere are unimpressed.

Jamezz, we clearly do not have the players on our team right now to ever contend for a title. Maybe we could be a 7th or 8th seed at our peak with this roster, but even that's not a for sure thing. We need better players.

Our greatest chance at acquiring those players is through the draft. Our greatest chance at acquiring the best player available in the draft is to get the earliest pick possible. Nobody wants to be in the lottery forever, we want to have a winning team. Unfortunately, we aren't the Lakers, or the Heat, or the Knicks where we have the capability to reel in big time free agents. Do I want to be in the lottery? Of course not, I want to have a good team, but I still realize that the lottery system is our greatest chance at acquiring a player that will make us become a great team.

Understand?

We have 3 players who will almost certainly reach all-star levels (Hayward, Favors, and Gobert). If Exum pans out, we'll have 4. How many all stars do we need to become contenders? 15?