What's new

Beaubois, Marion and #17 for TPE

Lion's Roar

Dallas removes Marion's contract and doesn't pay for the draft pick. amnesty Haywood and the non garanteed contracts of Odom and maybe Carter.

Utah takes the hit on the third year of Marion deal gets a young prospect in Beaubois (without Beaubois that isn't any deal as far as I'm concerned and the #17 pick (both can be trade chips).

Would you guys do it considering that it almost garantees that Dallas will get Deron Williams and have the ability to sign Terry and Kidd and become serious contenders for the next 4 or 5 years with Deron and Dirk?

I'm not sure about this one. I think it adds proper value for the Jazz team but it helps out a conference rival. I also think the Mavs would have issues with this as well.

But I believe that when both teams have reservations about a trade AND it makes some sense for both than that's the sign of a good trade.

Since the Jazz need to send something back for the #17 pick the Jazz can get creative and offer a 2nd round pick next year top 59 protected and then zip.

It's like when the Jazz sent the right to swap 2nd rounders to Philly and Philly had a much lower pick than the Jazz did and obviously never exercized it. It's sending something back in paper alone to follow the CBA guidelines.

Hmmmm I don't hate it. I like beaubois but he isn't a pg that runs a team he is more like a great back up pg. Marion in meh. #17 in interesting depending on who os on the board. Might be able to nab Marshall there.

The jazz would still need to move Jefferson or millsap.

One last thing I don't think you can use 2 players in one tpe the jazz would have to send Watson out in the trade to match salaries with beaubois.

You can if you mascarade that has two trades instead of one. When you do the first trade for Marion for the TPE you remain with X amount of TPE left. Then you use that rest of the TPE to pull off the second trade.

Would you guys do it considering that it almost garantees that Dallas will get Deron Williams and have the ability to sign Terry and Kidd and become serious contenders for the next 4 or 5 years with Deron and Dirk?

Wow, a plausible trade, nice. About Jazz fearing Dirk & Deron contending for 4-5 years....I wouldn't worry. Dirk is 14 years in and approaching 50,000 career minutes. He is going to start slowing down, and then the Mavs will have a $19mill/yr spot up shooter. I can imagine Deron getting kind of sore at Cuban when the Mavs are an 8 seed and paying luxuary tax.

I am wondering if it is better for jazz to get Haywood instead of Marion, less money, more years. Doesn't help the mavs though.

I am wondering if it is better for jazz to get Haywood instead of Marion, less money, more years. Doesn't help the mavs though.

NOPE. Haywood's contract is a cap killer. It would hinder the Jazz from resigning their young kids. The only thing preventing the Mavs from amnestying his contract is that they are waiting to see how seems pan out with Deron and some other folks but odds are an amnesty is coming (that or Cuban has even bigger pockets than what I thought).

Dallas isn't getting rid of Marion AND Haywood under any circumstance. They need Haywood. And I doubt they'd throw Beaubois in the deal, but generally speaking, this is a pretty good idea I think (except that the Jazz would be SOL for Marshall or Lillard in all likelihood). I'd still like to take a chance on Quincy Miller.

Wow, a plausible trade, nice. About Jazz fearing Dirk & Deron contending for 4-5 years....I wouldn't worry. Dirk is 14 years in and approaching 50,000 career minutes. He is going to start slowing down, and then the Mavs will have a $19mill/yr spot up shooter. I can imagine Deron getting kind of sore at Cuban when the Mavs are an 8 seed and paying luxuary tax.

I agree with all of this. Deron could go there and they would look good for about 2 or 3 years and then he would be stuck for at least one more year and the Mavs would be steadily declining. The same idea with the Lakers. Bryant's current contract is a cap killer. They would not be able to bring in anything else without paying a big time fee.

If Marshall is still on the board at 17, it is worth the risk to take on Marion's contract. I don't think that the Mavs would do it without getting at least a future pick in return from the Jazz. Maybe the 2014 Nets/Okur pick? I think they could probably get more for Beabouis alone, though. Maybe they would do Marion + #17 for future second rounder?

If Marshall is still on the board at 17, it is worth the risk to take on Marion's contract. I don't think that the Mavs would do it without getting at least a future pick in return from the Jazz. Maybe the 2014 Nets/Okur pick? I think they could probably get more for Beabouis alone, though. Maybe they would do Marion + #17 for future second rounder?

Yes they can get more for Beaubois alone, but want they want is to get rid of Marion's contract. Beaubois and #17 pick is the tax they would pay to release over $10M from their cap space next season.

Well we all know Dallas wants to get rid of these bad contracts to make room for Deron....so there is some substance to the trade.