What's new

Best Buy

prodigy

I went to my local best buy and they had moved most of their inventory out and there was a sign saying it was closing in March. The best buy parking lot may no longer be a thing. It may become the party city parking lot and that is a little depressing. The end of an era.

I went to my local best buy and they had moved most of their inventory out and there was a sign saying it was closing in March. The best buy parking lot may no longer be a thing. It may become the party city parking lot and that is a little depressing. The end of an era.

This is a scandal but also an opportunity, many great adventures can be had in abandoned parking lots.

RIP. Nothing more exciting that heading to media play in the mid 90s knowing we were coming home with some good VHS or CDs.
Agreed

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Also Ultimate Electronics. Anyone remember when that place opened in the early 90s? I don’t think it survived even out of the 90s.

I get it, there’s no way of stopping “progress.” But I wonder if there might be a price to pay for all of this? Whether it be clothing stores or music/media stores, I’m Unsure if ridding ourselves of public spaces where people meet and interact in favor of online shopping is a net positive. There was something to be said about going with friends or family and buying a cd. Going to the store and trying out clothes. Waiting in lines and talking to people. Interacting with someone at the counter. Having to buy an entire album and learn the music from the entire album instead of just downloading one of your favorite songs.

I get it, there’s no way of stopping “progress.” But I wonder if there might be a price to pay for all of this? Whether it be clothing stores or music/media stores, I’m Unsure if ridding ourselves of public spaces where people meet and interact in favor of online shopping is a net positive. There was something to be said about going with friends or family and buying a cd. Going to the store and trying out clothes. Waiting in lines and talking to people. Interacting with someone at the counter. Having to buy an entire album and learn the music from the entire album instead of just downloading one of your favorite songs.
Well one price is the destruction of the environment, if that matters to anyone. The huge amount of online shopping has created major problems in deforestation to supply cardboard for boxes, as well as hugely increasing the use of fossil fuels to supply the delivery vehicles with gas and the giant warehouses that carry a bigger burden of environmental impact than most big box brick and mortar stores. That's just one cost really. There are more. Like the destruction of competition in the marketplace.

Last edited:
The huge amount of online shopping has created make problems in deforestation to supply cardboard for boxes
Most cardboard comes from other cardboard. It is the most recycled product we track, with the recycling rate currently over 93%.

Secondly, the wood used in cardboard isn't from deforestation, but from "managed forests" that are replenished as fast as they are harvested. Your claims would be the same as claiming that eating corn is causing decorning. In reality, that industry operates in an entirely sustainable business model. Over the last 100 years, there has been no significant decrease in the overall forested land, which remains near 750 million acres. Furthermore, the annual growth of forests is actually higher than in the past – 36 percent more trees are planted each year than are removed by industrial companies. On average, the paper and wood products industry plants 1.7 million trees per day.

Finally, cardboard is made almost entirely from cellulose fibers which are made up of hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon atoms. The hydrogen and oxygen come from water while the carbon is captured from the CO2 in the atmosphere by photosynthesis. The production of cardboard lowers CO2 levels. When people refer to environmentally friendly industries as "green", it is the color of photosynthesis they are talking about. It is bizarre to watch you attack the most sustainable, most recycled, most carbon-capturing industry in our economy as being bad for the environment.