What's new

"Best NBA Player" ever???

one of the better lines...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-talk-what-is-best-0605-20110603,0,6784508.story

...Almost as quickly as Pippen backed away from his comment, a debate raged on sports talk shows and online: Who's the best? It was clearly urgent that the world get this sorted out.

"It's a futile discussion," said Randy Roberts, a professor of history at Purdue University and author of several books on boxing greats..."My guess is this is the kind of conversation that takes place most often in a bar. I think you have to be kind of drunk to think it's an interesting discussion."

HA HA HA!

I think Wilt was the best player of all time then Jordan, Russell, Kareem,

Dude would dominate,even if he played today. Here's a guy who's 3 inches taller than Dwight Howard, jumps 3 inches higher than Dwight Howard... and supposedly ran a 4.4 40. Wilt was probably the strongest player (with maybe the exception of Malone) to ever play the game too. I honestly think Wilt would put up 30-15-5 (blocks) if inserted into the game today.

Not calling you out, but Wilt running a 4.4 in the 40 that's hard to swallow, is there a link for that, or is it just rumors.

One hundred points scored in one game. At different times led the league in points, rebounds and assists. They changed rules because of his domination of the game. No one player has dominated the NBA like Wilt Chamberlain did in his prime, ever. He was, without doubt, the Babe Ruth of basketball. If he only hustled more...

Not calling you out, but Wilt running a 4.4 in the 40 that's hard to swallow, is there a link for that, or is it just rumors.

Here's a similar stat... I don't know if that's his fastest time ever,
As he did at Overbrook Chamberlain again showcased his diverse athletic talent. He ran the 100-yard dash in 10.9 seconds, shot putted 56 feet, triple jumped more than 50 feet, and won the high jump in the Big Eight track and field championships three straight years.[27]

but that is wicked fast for a guy who probably weighed 250 + lbs. he's within 15% of the world record at that time. So that would be like running a 4.7 if you adjusted for the fastest ever 40.

but that is wicked fast for a guy who probably weighed 250 + lbs. he's within 15% of the world record at that time. So that would be like running a 4.7 if you adjusted for the fastest ever 40.

...Wilt was NOT 250 pounds when he ran that 100 yard dash that fast!

...Wilt was NOT 250 pounds when he ran that 100 yard dash that fast!

He was stated to be 240 as a Freshman in 1955. He ran that speed in 1956, but he also launched a shot put 56 feet, and triple jumped 50 feet.. I'm guessing he was built at that time.

His NBA weight was 275, and Dwight Howard and Lebron James weigh 240...

So picture Dwight Howard running the fastest 100 yard dash in his division.

Kareem had an unstoppable shot-- a given.

Kobe has/had an unstoppable game.

We also have to consider Russell was defending 6'4 white guys. Wilt was really the only supreme challenge as a big he came up against, and that was in his later years. Ben Wallace would have probably put up 30 boards and 15 blocks in that league. Jordan was defending Magic, Bird, John/Karl, Gary Payton, Clyde Drexler, Dominique Wilkins. It is much more difficult to be a great small defender than a great big defender.

The best shooter debate is arguable. I'll take Bird, you can have who you want... i don't
really care.

I honestly think Kobe is/was more talented than MJ. I think MJ had all the mental
aspects of the game to make him the greatest player ever, but in a *** for tat skills
match I think Kobe is better.
I also think Kobe would beat Jordan 1 on1.

There is a difference between most skilled and best player. I do not think the best players are necessarily the most skilled. I think they have a drive and determination and a way of feeding off the pressure and willing themselves to be better than they really are when it really counts. Jordan had it. So did Russell and Magic and Bird.

Bird is a good example. His 3 pt % is decent for his career, but not really spectacular (37.6%) and he never lead the league in 3 pt %, but he would be the very top of my list to shoot a 3 if one was needed to tie or win the game. Why is that? Because he had the unique ability, along with the other "best players" to get the most out of his abilities when he had to. I would be willing to bet Bird's "last shot" percentage is crazy high. He always had the dagger.

Jordan was the same, only on a different plane. Jordan had the ability to do anything that was necessary to win. Need a steal? MJ got it. Need the key pass? MJ. Need the push-off and 20-footer? Yep.

The will to win and do whatever it takes to get there, and the ability to step their game up when it matters is what separates the greatest from the "highly skilled" also-rans, imo.

So far LeBron has shown he does not have that defining quality. When the going gets tough, LeBron passes when he should shoot. When the game is on the line, LeBron defers and fades. Until he develops the killer instinct and the ability to exert his will no matter what the opposition tries to do, he won't win that ring, unless he rides someone's coattails or gets there as part of a gaggle of all-stars. And then he will still be an also-ran. So far he is not even in the discussion with the greatest, imo. I would take Magic, Bird, Jordan, Russell, Chamberlain, Kareem, Olajawon, Duncan, Kobe, all over LeBron if starting a franchise today.