What's new

Best of the rest

The Jazz Wonderbra

1. Markaanen
2. Kessler
3. Ochai
4. Clarkson (pending contract conversations)
Hardy... Thats the core.

But who are the other players you keep from this group? Who is the best of the rest?

For me it is:

5. Dunn
6. Sexton

Meh list..

7. KO
8. THT
9. Fonteccchio

Keep if you dont find anything better:

10. Samanic
11. Juzang

Anyone not on this list should be given a boot at locker room cleanup and swapped out for a rookie.

Who would you keep outside of the core? Who is the best of the rest?

I'd dump Juzang. Samanic is a good passer, I'd like to see him get the ball on the block more. Not sure how good is he will be, but of all the end of the roster folks, he has the most potential.

I like a lot of our guys but only ones to get attached with are Lauri and Kessler. Everyone else belong the the category where DA is looking for better players than they are.

Ochai, Sexton and THT are all young and give me hope they might improve significantly over the next two years.

KO is glue and I would love to see him back. Dunn and Samanic are likely on their last leases so they have motivation for sure.

JC is a guy who can contribute to winning but only if we can control his minutes better. He takes away rhythm and passing from our offense, is a meh defender and has cold games too often to be relied upon as 30+ minute starter.

Just sexton (in addition to the 4 you listed.)

THT and dunn are fine as well. Simone maybe coukd be given another shot.

Personally I hope we can work out a sign and trade for JC and get a younger less ball dominant player.
Fontecchio is too inconsistent for his age, I think he needs to go unless we just can't find someone better.
I like what KO gives you, but would like to see it in a smaller role.
Dunn is hard nosed and can hopefully give us a couple more years of solid play.
The core is in place, need some complimentary players and one of two more borderline stars and we're going to be tough.

1. Markaanen
2. Kessler
3. Ochai
4. Clarkson (pending contract conversations)
Hardy... Thats the core.

But who are the other players you keep from this group? Who is the best of the rest?

For me it is:

5. Dunn
6. Sexton

Meh list..

7. KO
8. THT
9. Fonteccchio

Keep if you dont find anything better:

10. Samanic
11. Juzang

Anyone not on this list should be given a boot at locker room cleanup and swapped out for a rookie.

Who would you keep outside of the core? Who is the best of the rest?
For me:

Lauri
Kessler
Agbaji
Sexton

The rest can go. I want a team that is going to hit 13-15 threes a game and I’m hoping Sexton can eventually be my six man.

No thanks to Clarkson, he will just act like our #1 option and he’s not and for a lot of the year felt it was a negative.

Then I’m drafting 2-3 players and sign as many cheap young players with as much upside as I can find. Look I know people want success as fast as possible, that’s what the jazz have done forever and it hasn’t worked. We need as many picks as we can get. We need a high upside top ten pick next year so we can build a deep and talented team for the long haul. I want that feeling of being a true contender once again

I think Dunn on a reasonable contract is a great floor leader off the bench. Not 6th man material, but solid PG backup who can do spot minutes as an injury replacement starter. I have been pretty impressed with him, and he plays both ends of the floor. Not a stopper defender by any stretch but a damn sight better than JC as a defender.

I would love to hold onto JC just as a nostalgia holdover, and for continuity with a solid vet who has proven himself very capable, but I think you will see contenders willing to part with assets to get him, and so he will be moved.

KO is an enigma to me. He does so much good stuff, and so much bone-headed, nearly in equal measure. But he is crafty and unique as a big man who can actually handle the ball and passes pretty well, and has a good 3 pt shot. He would be worth holding onto as a crafty get-under-your-skin vet off the bench, but likely to be added to asset packages to try to improve overall.

For me the only definite keepers, untouchables, are Lauri and Kessler realistically. Anyone else can and should be moved if it improves our roster. Secondary to that is Ochai, and on a rookie contract with potential he is worth holding onto unless he is the sweetener in another key deal or something. Otherwise, anyone and everyone can and should be moved if it makes us better in the long run.

I’m surprised to see the Clarkson hate in here…. If he’ll come back at a reasonable number, id love to have him.

I really wish we could’ve seen some more combinations of our guards this year - I don’t feel like we got to see a lot of Sexton with Ochai, Clarkson with Dunn, etc.

My real list (with rotation guesses):

Lauri (starter)
Kessler (starter)
Ocahi (starter)
Clarkson (starter/sixth man)
KO (starter)
Sexton (sixth man/starter)
Dunn (key reserve)
Rookie x 3 (key reserve)
Damian Jones (situational reserve)
JTA (end of bench vet)

literally anyone else in the world

Rudy Gay

I’m guessing we trade for 1-2 other rotation pieces and that THT and Fontecchio aren’t on the team.

I’m surprised to see the Clarkson hate in here…. If he’ll come back at a reasonable number, id love to have him.

I really wish we could’ve seen some more combinations of our guards this year - I don’t feel like we got to see a lot of Sexton with Ochai, Clarkson with Dunn, etc.

My real list (with rotation guesses):

Lauri (starter)
Kessler (starter)
Ocahi (starter)
Clarkson (starter/sixth man)
KO (starter)
Sexton (sixth man/starter)
Dunn (key reserve)
Rookie x 3 (key reserve)
Damian Jones (situational reserve)
JTA (end of bench vet)

literally anyone else in the world

Rudy Gay

I’m guessing we trade for 1-2 other rotation pieces and that THT and Fontecchio aren’t on the team.
I am guessing we either trade up to get a rookie that fills one of the starter roles, or we trade to bring in an established vet (like Jaylen Brown...with an L ...holy ****, and a Y?!1?!...would be the pipe dream). I doubt we stand pat with many of our current roster without using some of those acquired assets to make a splash and get right into contention in some way.

Imagine, with your imagination, if you will, or borrow someone else's. Here, use mine...

PG - High Draft Pick (oh hell, just slot Wemby in here why the **** not?)
SG - Jordan Clarkson
SF - Jaylen Brown
PF - Lauri Markkanen
C - Walker Kessler

Or sub in another acquisition, or maybe even Ochai if we believe in him enough, into the Clarkson spot, his is just a place-holder. Now that team makes some real noise imo. Nearly any solid 2 other players around Brown/Lauri/Kessler is bound to be contenders. Add some shooting, reasonable D and playmaking and there you go. Fill out the bench and voila, instant contender!

1. Lauri
2. Kessler

Lauri is the only untouchable. If a player doesn’t project to still be here and a useful rotation player in 4 years then I don’t ultimately care about keeping them (unless it’s a tradable contract to be used in acquiring one of those prospective pieces).

/thread

Last edited:
It's easy to do trades when you are moving players teams want. Let's see how Danny and team pulls it off this summer. I think some trades, some picks, and maybe target a allstar if the opportunity presents itself.

1. Lauri
2. Kessler

Lauri is the only untouchable. If a player doesn’t project to still be here and a useful rotation player in 4 years then I don’t ultimately care about keeping them (unless it’s a tradable contract to be used in acquiring one of those prospective pieces).

/thread
(I’m talking about Clarkson and KO)

I doubt we are far along enough to even know what the game plan is with DA.
He could see an opportunity to trade the Finnisher same as he did Don and Rudy, no way of knowing what he could get either, but I doubt he is really untouchable.