What's new

Best Playoff Outcomes for Jazz Trades

I think Philly might be the Ingram destination if they strike out on George. Might be a three team we where the picks go to a third team that is giving NO something they can use now.

Three team deal that sends Lauri and Walker to NO and Ingram to Philly where both Philly and NO send picks our way and we snag Hawkins for NO and maybe Daniels too. I prefer Hawkins doe.

Philly has a 2028 Clips pick I would want. NO has their own, 2025 Lakers, and some Milwaukee pick/swaps.

Cavs losing the first round in humiliating fashion which cause DM to quit on them, forcing Cavs to either rebuild or go all in on LBJ in the summer. Best outcome for the Cavs 2025 to 2029 picks that we own.
Even if Don demanded a trade that wouldnt make them go full rebuild or chase LBJ...

Jarrett Allen is out for Game 5. Brutal loss for the Cavs.
Time for Mobley to deliver. This is why you don’t play casual AF in games 3 and 4. Now I’m legitimately believing Orlando gonna win this one. They lose tonight Donny gonna pack it in.

My dream scenario:

1) Cavs blow this
2) They decide to completely blow things up
3) Jazz swoop Evan Mobley

My dream scenario:

1) Cavs blow this
Mobley is still super raw but would be a great target. The Cavs have basically ignored his development since they added Don. They went into "win now" mode with that small backcourt and Allen on the roster. He would solve a lot of the Jazz defensive issues and has a ton of room to develop as a hub offensively which is the area the Cavs have totally ignored with him the past 2 seasons. I'm assuming they would want Lauri back who is the better fit next to Allen. I'd offer Hendricks+ Sensabaugh+ picks.

The Cavs situation certainly seems tied into Don's decision to extend (or not extend) with them.

Mobley is still super raw but would be a great target. The Cavs have basically ignored his development since they added Don. They went into "win now" mode with that small backcourt and Allen on the roster. He would solve a lot of the Jazz defensive issues and has a ton of room to develop as a hub offensively which is the area the Cavs have totally ignored with him the past 2 seasons. I'm assuming they would want Lauri back who is the better fit next to Allen. I'd offer Hendricks+ Sensabaugh+ picks.

The Cavs situation certainly seems tied into Don's decision to extend (or not extend) with them.

There is so much to unlock there still with Evan Mobley. He has barely scratched the surface.

Unfortunately I doubt even they'd be dumb enough to part with him. But you never know.

My dream scenario:

1) Cavs blow this
I heard this hope "They decide to completely blow things up" many times but why would they do it? Like, do you have many (or any!) examples when a team decided to completely blow up their still very young core of good players? I mean, I can see how they can decide to trade one or two of the Garland-Mobley-Allen-Mitchell for other good players...but do blow it up for picks? Like, has it ever happened?

Like, do you have many (or any!) examples when a team decided to completely blow up their still very young core of good players?
There was a team somewhere in the west recently who blew it up with two future hall of famers with at least three years left on their deals. Wish I could remember who it was.

It's hard to hit home runs when nothing is being thrown over the base. Guess we have to steal first and get a walk times a 20 year drought before something happens.

Mobley has flaws, but he is damn good. Will be interesting to see how Sarr compares to him when he gets in the league

Last edited:
It's hard to hit home runs when nothing is being thrown over the base. Guess we have to steal first and get a walk times a 20 year drought before something happens.
You’ll definitely have to steal first to hit home runs thrown over the base. That or a really long bat.

I heard this hope "They decide to completely blow things up" many times but why would they do it? Like, do you have many (or any!) examples when a team decided to completely blow up their still very young core of good players? I mean, I can see how they can decide to trade one or two of the Garland-Mobley-Allen-Mitchell for other good players...but do blow it up for picks? Like, has it ever happened?

Not that I can think of, nor saying it's at all I likely. It's a pipe dream. I just drool over adding Mobley to this team - he's in the top 3-5 guys league-wide I'd be most excited about adding.

You're right that they are in a unique spot and don't have to blow anything up. It could be as simple as trading Don (would be smart to sell high on him if they flame out, he's not re-signing) and Jarrett Allen (I don't like the Mobley/Allen Pairing) and building around Garland/Mobley + a ton of picks.

There was a team somewhere in the west recently who blew it up with two future hall of famers with at least three years left on their deals. Wish I could remember who it was.
The 2021-22 Jazz had a starting five that by the start of next season would have been 26, 29, 33, 30 and 35. If this is your definition of a blown-up young team then, well...

The 2021-22 Jazz had a starting five that by the start of next season would have been 26, 29, 33, 30 and 35. If this is your definition of a blown-up young team then, well...
Two future hall of famers with 3 years (and player option, not that that matters) left on their contracts, of which both would still be in their prime.

Two future hall of famers with 3 years (and player option, not that that matters) left on their contracts, of which both would still be in their prime.
Who didn't like playing together and wouldn't have much around them as we were capped out and already out one future first. Trading one guy puts you in the upper end of the play in... trading neither maybe the same... trading both was the right play if you want to build a long term contender. Staying together wasn't an option. If you think Sexton, Lauri, Rudy could have been amazing I kind of get that with hindsight... we gotta stop doing the we should have kept this thing together imo. It was over.

Now if we rush to get like an Ingram to pair with Lauri its kinda silly to see that we could have just kept one star, maneuvered that way, and been a better version of mid.

Not so sure about the future Hall of Famers: basketballref gives Gobert a 26% chance and Mitchell - 13%. But the question was not about those two players: you CAN be a contender with them two as your biggest stars. The question was that the Jazz could not improve their supporting cast: they had no picks and could not get much for Bojan (33), Conley (35), Ingles (35), Royce (29). All those players and the 30-year-old Gobert could only decline.

The Cavs, on the other hand, could easily continue building around really young Mobley and Garland: both Allen and Mitchell can get them really good players in trades.