What's new

Best starting 5 of all-time

magic

I was randomly thinking about this subject, and a lot of time when people argue who is in their top 5, they just insert who they believe is the best player at each position without really thinking about the team as a whole. Ironically, people will probably do that here too.

Because the game has changed, and the 3 pointer is more valuable than ever, here is my top starting 5 of all-time:

PG: Lebron James
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Larry Bird
C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (though I could go with Hakeem here too)

What do people here have as their starting 5?

These are the best players at their position and would be great:
Magic
Jordan
Lebron
Duncan (KG and Malone are close seconds for me)
Wilt (Kareem would be my second choice though since he is probably #2 or #3 on the GOAT list)

Although If I was actually building a team to win it all today of players in their prime I might go

Curry
Jordan
Durant (or Pippen, Both fit well next to stars. But I probably choose Durant for his shooting)
Lebron
Kareem (fits in better than Wilt)

Stockton or Magic
MJ (or Kobe). I'd go Kobe if MJ is on the other team, because that will unlock Super Saiyan Black Mamba
Bron
Duncan (maybe Garnett)
Hakeem (or Kareem)

It's got passing, rebounding, scoring, D at every position, you name it.

I've always liked this idea:

oZVay5y.jpg

If I'm doing that, I go Stockton ($2), Kobe ($4), Lebron ($5), Duncan ($3), Hakeem ($1). Mirrors my original team.

Stockton or Magic
MJ (or Kobe). I'd go Kobe if MJ is on the other team, because that will unlock Super Saiyan Black Mamba
Bron
Duncan (maybe Garnett)
Hakeem (or Kareem)

oZVay5y.jpg

If I'm doing that, I go Stockton ($2), Kobe ($4), Lebron ($5), Duncan ($3), Hakeem ($1). Mirrors my original team.

If I go off that chart I would go Stockton, Jordan, Lebron, Garnett, Hakeem. I have a dollar to spare for myself. I actually dont like or a agree with their assessment of players worth though. Any team with Jordan and Lebron would beat any other team regardless of how stacked it is.

Laugh all you want, this would be about as fun as it gets to watch.

Stockton, Magic, Bird, and Pettit were all elite playmakers.

Magic and Stockton on the same team, no contest. Magic, possibly the greatest fast break pg, and there was no one better then Stockton in the half court. Look what Stockton meant to Karl, now he’s throwing Shaq open. He doesn’t need to be open to score.

Plenty of outside shooting from Stockton and Bird and yes, I include Pettit in there. He was a very good outside shooter and an elite rebounder. Think Dennis Rodman with offense. Pettit is underrated.

This team would our hustle, outthink just about any team you could build

Stockton or Magic
Bron
Duncan (maybe Garnett)
Hakeem (or Kareem)

oZVay5y.jpg

I may go your route or go:

Frazier
Jordan
Lebron
Duncan
Hakeem

All 5 guys are All-World defenders. Frazier is the glue guy. Most teams need one. Jordan and Lebron and Duncan. Nuff said. Each the best at their respective position all-time. And Hakeem who was an insane two-way guy, two time champion with a collection of misfits. Seriously, they started Thorpe, Horry, Elie and Smith with Cassell being 6th man. None of those guys even sniffed the HOF. That’s how good Hakeem was.

I was randomly thinking about this subject, and a lot of time when people argue who is in their top 5, they just insert who they believe is the best player at each position without really thinking about the team as a whole. Ironically, people will probably do that here too.

Because the game has changed, and the 3 pointer is more valuable than ever, here is my top starting 5 of all-time:

PG: Lebron James
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Larry Bird
C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (though I could go with Hakeem here too)

What do people here have as their starting 5?
Your 5 is as good as it gets, 3 pointers or not! Can't see a flaw in any of your choices!

Frazier is the glue guy.

Got news for ya! Clyde Frazier was DRASTICALLY overrated, and he wasn't rated very highly to begin with! Dribbled too much, slow as molasses, not that good of a shot, game was just pathetically flawed! I lived in NY during the last part of his career, and the standing joke was "Frazier must be getting a dollar a dribble the way he dominates the ball and refuses to pass it!"

Stockton or Magic
Bron
Duncan (maybe Garnett)
Hakeem (or Kareem)

oZVay5y.jpg

Garnett a top 5 ball player? He's not even a top 50 ball player in my book!

Got news for ya! Clyde Frazier was DRASTICALLY overrated, and he wasn't rated very highly to begin with! Dribbled too much, slow as molasses, not that good of a shot, game was just pathetically flawed! I lived in NY during the last part of his career, and the standing joke was "Frazier must be getting a dollar a dribble the way he dominates the ball and refuses to pass it!"

And yet when it was announced, he was a top 50 player of all-time.

These are the best players at their position and would be great:
Magic
Jordan
Lebron
Duncan (KG and Malone are close seconds for me)
Wilt (Kareem would be my second choice though since he is probably #2 or #3 on the GOAT list)

Although If I was actually building a team to win it all today of players in their prime I might go

Curry
Jordan
Durant (or Pippen, Both fit well next to stars. But I probably choose Durant for his shooting)
Lebron
Kareem (fits in better than Wilt)

I like your first list with Hakeem in place of wilt. That would be my 5

Stockton or Magic
Bron
Duncan (maybe Garnett)
Hakeem (or Kareem)

oZVay5y.jpg

According to this I’d take.

Stockton
Kobe
Pippen
Malone
Wilt

How is Barkley ranked ahead of Duncan? How is stockton only a 2