What's new

Best Utah Jazz starting 5 of all-time

Jazzta

John Stockton
Donovan Mitchell
Adrian Dantley
Karl Malone
Rudy Gobert

Too soon to include the two active players? Maybe I should have called it "projected" best starting 5 of all time.

Gobert is a close call for me next to Mark Eaton still and Donovan Mitchell is just that special.

If we are going with either career OR single season, this list is correct. And if we are going with my favorite starting lineup in their primes for a hypothetical game, this team is complete and totally badass.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Replace Dantley with prime AK and it is more balanced. We would not need Dantley's offense with Malone and Mitchell scoring the most. And Gobert patrolling the paint and AK helping on the weak side? That starting 5 would be nightmare to deal with for anybody.

My starting 5

Stockton. Rubio
Pistol. Horny
Mitchell. Ingles
Malone. Kirilenko
Gobert. Okur

Lol. Couldn’t stop with my starting 5

I put Mitchell at the sf, feel he could guard sf’s better then the pistol, but I want my 5 best players so Mitchell is a sf to make room for pistol Pete

My bench, I just want to say **** you Deron the Bitch Williams!!!

Horny, Ingles, and Okur, wow!! Talk about stretching the floor, with two stud hustlers and defenders in Kirilenko and Rubio. Okur can play with both Malone and Gobert perfectly. Kirilenko can allow Mitchell plenty of time at sg.

I like this team!!!

The Eaton underrating here is stupid.

Replace Gobert with Eaton in his prime today and you would have to start an argument about DPOY that woruld start with Eaton and end with Eaton. He had better offensive skill as well with that sky hook, but credit Stockton a lot for his feeds. Check that insane dish after the near turnover in the video.

Eaton could perform in today's NBA every bit as good as Gobert, if not better because of weight. He was a freaking wall and had great instincts.

As much as I like Gobert, I'm taking prime Eaton.

Prime Eaton is too slow in my opinion with today’s game. He was an amazing post defender in his prime. Teams back then didn’t play outside and stretch things out like today. Fact of the matter is there were more opportunities to block shots in Eaton’s day then now where there is much less posting up in the paint and bigs are now extending their games to the three point line. Gobert affects the modern game a lot more then Eaton would today

Rudy would have averaged 6-7 blocks per game if he played in the 80s.

He would have hastened the advent of the spread offense by 10 years.

Prime Eaton is too slow in my opinion with today’s game. He was an amazing post defender in his prime. Teams back then didn’t play outside and stretch things out like today. Fact of the matter is there were more opportunities to block shots in Eaton’s day then now where there is much less posting up in the paint and bigs are now extending their games to the three point line. Gobert affects the modern game a lot more then Eaton would today

Gobert is a very poor defender on the stretch outside switch. I doubt Eaton would be any worse, especially with off-season adjustment priority. So, your point is quite stupid as always.

Stockton
Mitchell
Hayward
Malone
Gobert

I don't like Hayward but he is better than AK. Plus he is a good shooter. I might go Ingles just for the shooting, defense, and locker room presence but again Hayward is better. AD is a better scorer than Hayward but Hayward is a better defender and shooter. Plus Hayward compliments other players better than AD. AD would be my 6th man though. Bench would be:

Dwill
AD
Ingles
Millsap
Memo

Gobert is a very poor defender on the stretch outside switch. I doubt Eaton would be any worse, especially with off-season adjustment priority. So, your point is quite stupid as always.
Now you’re just talking out your ***! Gobert is ten times more athletic and fleet of foot then in Eaton’s wildest dreams. Regardless of how good or bad a defender Gobert is guarding a wing outsid Eaton would be 100 times worse

Stockton
Mitchell
Hayward
Malone
Gobert

I don't like Hayward but he is better than AK. Plus he is a good shooter. I might go Ingles just for the shooting, defense, and locker room presence but again Hayward is better. AD is a better scorer than Hayward but Hayward is a better defender and shooter. Plus Hayward compliments other players better than AD. AD would be my 6th man though. Bench would be:

Dwill
AD
Ingles
Millsap
Memo
AD is a sg now. Lol at him trying to guard a sg.

No chance Eaton would be as good in stretches or switches. He is much slower and less athletic that Gobert. He also can't recover nearly as quick as Gobert. Eaton is stronger and can hold his position better. Eaton also had better hands. But he would struggle in today's game. Gobert would struggle at times in the old days though as well. Centers were much stronger and Gobert struggles against really physical strong centers. They are both suited well for their playing days.

AD is a sg now. Lol at him trying to guard a sg.
Why?

His defense wouldn't be great at SG but it wasn't great at SF. He did play SG at times. His offense would be great in today's game at that spot. He can get by guys and out physical them. He is also only 6'5". That's short against many SFs these days.

Besides SG and SF are pretty much interchangeable offensively. So really it's just the defense .

Replace Dantley with prime AK and it is more balanced. We would not need Dantley's offense with Malone and Mitchell scoring the most. And Gobert patrolling the paint and AK helping on the weak side? That starting 5 would be nightmare to deal with for anybody.

No such thing as a prime AK. He was too busy WoWing to bother himself with reaching prime AK status.

No chance Eaton would be as good in stretches or switches. He is much slower and less athletic that Gobert. He also can't recover nearly as quick as Gobert. Eaton is stronger and can hold his position better. Eaton also had better hands. But he would struggle in today's game. Gobert would struggle at times in the old days though as well. Centers were much stronger and Gobert struggles against really physical strong centers. They are both suited well for their playing days.

Eaton recovered pretty damn well and blocked a lot of shots that Gobert is failing to recover on and block.

Eaton recovered pretty damn well and blocked a lot of shots that Gobert is failing to recover on and block.
I just remember him as older I suppose. His main peak playing days were around the early 80s. Mostly I have seen highlights from then and that is not what I see in those. So maybe ill have to take you word on it.