What's new

Best vs. Most Valuable Player (On the Jazz)

UtahMan

My current view is that while G-Time is our best/most talented player, our most valuable player (defined as the player we could least afford to lose) would be either Favors or Burke.

The way we started the season and how we have played since would seem to indicate that Burke would be the man, but I have really been impressed with Favors growth and maturity. He is really the anchor for or defense and his offense is coming around.

What do others think?

As they are right now

Hayward
Favors
Burke
Burks
Jefferson
Kanter
Williams
Evans
Gobert

Jazz record Without Burke: 1-9
Jazz record Without Favors: 0-3
Jazz record Without Hayward: 2-3

Based on records alone, the Jazz seem less affected when Hayward is out, so I'd agree with the OP.

MVP (directly correlates to success of the team): Burke or Favors
Best/Most Talented Player (best stats): Hayward

Based on records alone, the Jazz seem less affected when Hayward is out, so I'd agree with the OP.

you have to look at whose backing up each player. JL3 and Garrett are much bigger drops in talent compared to Hayward -> Burks and Favors -> Kanter

Well I think the jazz are better now with or without Burke then they were to start the year. Don't remember the first two games Favors sat out, but Kanter was horrendous vs the Wolves. With Hayward out, Burks played great. Just son contributing factors to think about.

Hmm good question.

Its definitely out of Favors, Hayward, and Burke. But I would even narrow it down to just Burke and Favors. Put Hayward 3rd.

Its tough to say between Favors and Burke. I think Burke is the more talented player and helps us win more right now. But if I were forced to choose, I would pick Favors because his skillset is more rare and having a rim protector is more important than a point guard. Just because point guards are more abundant. We could always find another PG. It would be pretty hard to find another legit rim protector with a solid offensive game.

Favors would be harder to replace than Burke or Hayward so I would take Favors.

Balancing salary(future contacts included), Burke by a mile. Then favors, Hayward, Burks, kanter, Evans, Marv, gobert, rush, clark, garrett, jefferson, the coaching staff, the jazz management, stadium and parking lot attendants, the new screens, jazz bear, every seat in the energy solutions arena, the media, Kim jong un, biedrins and jl3

Definitely between Favors and Hayward. Burke really isn't going to be near any level that Favors or Hayward will reach. He'll be solid.

Balancing salary(future contacts included), Burke by a mile. Then favors, Hayward, Burks, kanter, Evans, Marv, gobert, rush, clark, garrett, jefferson, the coaching staff, the jazz management, stadium and parking lot attendants, the new screens, jazz bear, every seat in the energy solutions arena, the media, Kim jong un, biedrins and jl3

You have brutally underrated the Jazz bear. I would also take the Jazz dancers over the coaching staff.

Definitely between Favors and Hayward. Burke really isn't going to be near any level that Favors or Hayward will reach. He'll be solid.
Burke already is a better "leader" than Hayward, and seems to already have bigger cajones than Hayward in crunchtime/clutch situations. Burke is rookie, Hayward is playing his 4th season in the league. You're selling Burke way too short...

Burke already is a better "leader" than Hayward, and seems to already have bigger cajones than Hayward in crunchtime/clutch situations. Burke is rookie, Hayward is playing his 4th season in the league. You're selling Burke way too short...

Yes he's still a rookie, so there's not enough for me to put him as our mvp.

Yes there is.

Agreed.
Burks has been underestimated for so long.... ya'll still aint learned.

He should definately be in the convo since now that he is getting playing time he is showing some d wade like slashing/finishing/foul-drawing abilities

And his 3 point shot has been on point for a few months consistently now

In the last few months burks turnovers have went down, his 3 point shooting has went way up, his passing and ball handling has improved, his dribble drive is damn near unstoppable, his free throw shooting has went WAY up, and his finishing while taking contact has never been better.
And it seems he still has alot more upside and room to improve.

By far his biggest weakness is bigger stronger sg pushing him around on the defensive end..... he does pretty good guarding quick guys (like lillard or mo williams types) but gets abused by stronger guys (wes matthews).

Having said that, my list goes Hayward, favors, burke, and burks..... but i do think burks deserves a spot in the conversation. The 31 point game against miami and the 34 point game against denver were glimpses of what he COULD be.