What's new

Better Employer, Wal-Mart or Apple?

Wal-Mart sucks. Enslaving old people to be greeters. Mother *******!

And I always get lost in them. Just like IKEA.

Read this article and found it interesting. It compares profit per employee between Apple and other retailers like Wal-Mart. Additionally it discusses why raising the minimum wage may not have the effect that some hope.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2015/12/28/apple-makes-407000-profit-per-employee-walmart-and-retail-6300-whos-the-exploiter/2/

View attachment 4572 VS View attachment 4573

It's a good article. By the way the link you provided takes one to page 2 of the article. Here's a link to page 1: https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwor...e-walmart-and-retail-6300-whos-the-exploiter/

In a nutshell, Walmart operates on very thin margins. They can't afford to raise their employees' wages by much and still be profitable. To be precise, they can only their employees' wages by $6300 per employee without causing a net corporate loss (assuming they don't hike prices). By contrast, Apple could raise its employees' wages by $407,000 per employee without causing a loss.

With regards to the minimum wage, if the minimum wage is increased to $15/hour, then a company like Walmart would be facing a $8000 loss per employee. The result would be either layoffs or price hikes, or both.

It's a good article. By the way the link you provided takes one to page 2 of the article. Here's a link to page 1: https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwor...e-walmart-and-retail-6300-whos-the-exploiter/

In a nutshell, Walmart operates on very thin margins. They can't afford to raise their employees' wages by much and still be profitable. To be precise, they can only their employees' wages by $6300 per employee without causing a net corporate loss (assuming they don't hike prices). By contrast, Apple could raise its employees' wages by $407,000 per employee without causing a loss.

With regards to the minimum wage, if the minimum wage is increased to $15/hour, then a company like Walmart would be facing a $8000 loss per employee. The result would be either layoffs or price hikes, or both.

Walmart being forced to lay off workers or shut down stores would be bad?

I for one think this would be awesome! Costco and other stores can then pick up the slack! I'd like nothing more than to break up Walmart. As far as losing cheap Chinese made goods?! Even better! Hell, maybe even Mom and Pop stores that make crap here in America might spring up once again!

Let's do this!!!

I for one think this would be awesome! Costco and other stores can then pick up the slack! I'd like nothing more than to break up Walmart. As far as losing cheap Chinese made goods?! Even better! Hell, maybe even Mom and Pop stores that make crap here in America might spring up once again!

Let's do this!!!
Yeah, because an increase in the minimum wage is only going to impact Walmart, right? They will have to lay off all their employees and go out of business but then the Mom and Pop shop's will all spring back to life and take Walmart's place. And big box discounters like Costco are just fine, they're not like Walmart which is the devil incarnate. Your logic makes perfect sense... NOT.

Last edited:

Let's do this!!!

How do you feel about income inequality?

Let's do this!!!

Decreasing the amount of cheap chinese made goods is simple: pay people less, thus driving the prices of both labor and assets down. Simple fix. Let's get on it. Made in Murrica yeehaw!