What's new

Beverley to Lakers for THT and Stanley Johnson

Yall know how deposits and down payments work right. Like when I put down the down payment on my house I get the house at the agreed upon price. Its not a donation... its earnest money.

we don't need cap space
Cap space allows you to take on Salary Dumps with assets attached without having to send matching salary back.

They may not need cap space for free agents, but it never hurts to have a max contract slot available. Cap space at the deadline (to help a team duck the tax) and before free agency next year (to help a team create their one max slot) will be extremely valuable.

Lol when you think about it, the roster as it sits right now is lowkey stacked.

PG- Conley/Clarkson
SG- Mitchell/Beasley
SF- Bogdanovic/THT
PF - Vandy/Fontecchio
C - Dok/Kessler

It's insane we have spent 10 pages arguing on whether a trade we made is a "down payment" for another trade that we might make or not. What are we doing, guys?
Like the other **** we do around here solves world hunger.

Would you like to talk about who has the most leverage in the Don trades instead? Maybe we could debate whether the Conley trade was good?

I think the Jazz are doing a horrible job on the phones if they have to make a "bad" deal to make sure the Lakers know they are interested in WB. Like....in what world do the Lakers forget that the Jazz are an option for WB? Patrick Beverley isn't a basket you send your clients during the holidays.
I didn't say it was a "bad deal" (or since it doesn't really matter what I think, that the Jazz thought it was a bad deal). That's where I'm not with HH (if he's still holding that position). I'm just more with the idea that one deal might (definitely not will) grease the skids a bit for something later.

Lakers will still do what's best for them. I don't have any illusions about that.

I think the Jazz are doing a horrible job on the phones if they have to make a "bad" deal to make sure the Lakers know they are interested in WB. Like....in what world do the Lakers forget that the Jazz are an option for WB? Patrick Beverley isn't a basket you send your clients during the holidays.
Oh... now gift baskets and down payments are the same thing.

I didn't say it was a "bad deal" (or since it doesn't really matter what I think, that the Jazz thought it was a bad deal). That's where I'm not with HH (if he's still holding that position). I'm just more with the idea that one deal might (definitely not will) grease the skids a bit for something later.

Lakers will still do what's best for them. I don't have any illusions about that.
I think of it as earnest money or a down payment but apparently people don't know how that **** works. It could be that we have a deal agreed upon... basically. Some of the specifics need fine tuning and September 6 needs to come at very least. You do part of the trade now for a variety of reasons:

- gives Bev/THT some certainty.
- shows both GMs are doing more than lip service and will execute the full deal later. Like other deposits, down payments, etc. it shows commitment
- makes sure both parties don't sell off part of the stuff others want.

It is not the most likely scenario but its not crazy.

NOPE!!! I said this could be part 1 of a bigger deal. Not some favor... but like we basically agree on a trade here but can't execute it per the CBA. And folks were like "why split the deal in two deals... why not just wait... lolz and lmao". Well you do it to show that you will follow through with part 2 so they don't do the other deal. This isn't helping your buddy move and then saying "you owe me one" and hoping he comes through later.

If this deal doesn't affect the bigger deals they want to do... then it won't affect a deal we do later with each other. Does it mean we agree to every detail of the deal? nah there might be some fine tuning that could happen depending on other things... but we both showed we are serious by doing part of the deal that we could now. Also makes Bev happy, Lebron happy etc.

Both teams are in high stakes negotiations and showed a little bit of their cards... teams knew that we are likely to move Don and Lakers are likely to move Westbrook but it isn't certain. Its completely fair to say "why show your cards on this now?". I think its likely LA already has their Westbrook deal done basically when they did this deal. Is it Indiana? maybe. Another team? sure.

I know we hung up the phone with them yesterday and agreed to a trade... so I know we talked with them in detail too.

You're making the claim that there could be a part two that couldn't have had happened without part one and vice versa. Idc if you don't want to call it a favor, that's not the point. The point is that the Jazz are doing one half of this trade (the undesirable half) because there's a second half that's coming and if the Lakers agree to a WB trade, it was because of the first trade.

I get it, you really want a WB trade to happen. I do too....but this is far out there for me. I think there are better wishful thinking theories out there than the Jazz taking a bad deal to show the Lakers they are serious and will follow through. The Jazz should be the one's worried that the Lakers will follow through.

Like the other **** we do around here solves world hunger.

Would you like to talk about who has the most leverage in the Don trades instead? Maybe we could debate whether the Conley trade was good?
Always open for leverage talk. :D We might kill 2 birds with 1 stone and talk about whether this trade being downpayment gives us more or less leverage than it being a normal trade would give us in negotiations with the Knicks.

I won't deny that good relationships can grease trades later....but I also don't think a bad deal (as HH has suggested) is necessary to do that in this situation. I think the Lakers and Jazz would have done this deal no matter what, which is why it was done. If the Lakers end up taking the Jazz deal, I think it will because they thought it was better than the IND deal and not for another reason.

You're making the claim that there could be a part two that couldn't have had happened without part one and vice versa. Idc if you don't want to call it a favor, that's not the point. The point is that the Jazz are doing one half of this trade (the undesirable half) because there's a second half that's coming and if the Lakers agree to a WB trade, it was because of the first trade.

I get it, you really want a WB trade to happen. I do too....but this is far out there for me. I think there are better wishful thinking theories out there than the Jazz taking a bad deal to show the Lakers they are serious and will follow through. The Jazz should be the one's worried that the Lakers will follow through.
Do you know how down payments work? If my theory is correct I'm saying they have agreed in principle to a deal. This was a down payment for that agreed upon deal. It doesn't cause the deal to happen... they execute the part of the deal they can (for reasons outlined). Its not that it couldn't happen without this... it might have happened later but this adds some certainty to it for several of the parties. Its not a pinky promise... its a "we know where this is going... lets do this part now as a sign we are serious".

If the Lakers end up taking the Jazz deal, I think it will because they thought it was better than the IND deal and not for another reason.
And is there any reason to believe they didn't discuss that deal this week? They know what the Indy deal is... they know what our deal is... is it plausible that they said "hey we are going with your deal... can we do this part now to add some level of certainty to it?"

Like were we talking with them this week and tried to bring up the Westbrook deal and they said nah we ain't talking about that now... only THT. We will call you later on a Westbrook deal if we don't like Indiana's offer.

I'm not saying this is the case... not even saying it is most likely the case... I'm saying it could be the case.

Do you know how down payments work? If my theory is correct I'm saying they have agreed in principle to a deal. This was a down payment for that agreed upon deal. It doesn't cause the deal to happen... they execute the part of the deal they can (for reasons outlined). Its not that it couldn't happen without this... it might have happened later but this adds some certainty to it for several of the parties. Its not a pinky promise... its a "we know where this is going... lets do this part now as a sign we are serious".
Let me gently point out that an escrow payment or down payment is part of the same contract.

Now please continue, this is a sports site so various opinions should be encouraged.

Yeah I do know what a down payment is. I know enough about down payments to know that what you really mean is deposit, but that's not the point.

In you're scenario, the Lakers are the party worried about the completion of the deal....not the Jazz. Don't think that's the case. Also, when there's a deposit both sides deliver. Only the Jazz are delivering here.