What's new

Big Al ranked 3rd best NBA center- ESPN

Golfman

ESPN.com writer Chris Palmer has been doing stories recently (Insider Only, unfortunately) naming the Top 5 players in the NBA at each position.

His list of top 5 centers was interesting. https://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/6815801/dwight-howard-best-nba-center

1. Dwight Howard
2. Joakim Noah
3. Al Jefferson
4. Andrew Bynum
5. Tyson Chandler

That is not a very impressive list after Howard.

Since it's an insider story, I can' post it all, but here is what they said about Big Al.

"Jefferson toggles between power forward and center, but because of his brawn he often draws defensive center assignments so I'm plugging him in here. Big Al is one of the true back-to-the-basket low post players in this league who is proud to make a living five feet from the hoop. He's got a nice variety of pump fakes and step through moves on the block and knows how to use his broad shoulders to clear space without picking up the foul. Jefferson has exceptional fluidity for a man his size and likes to turn and face from about 10 feet away tossing out an exploratory jab step before skirting the baseline to finish with a jam. His gem though is starting with his back to the basket on the left block and offering a hard left shoulder fake before spinning in the opposite direction. Using his size to back into the paint he can easily set up his efficient jump hook from the dots. His oversized mitts allow him to finish with touch at the rim when he can't elevate for the jam. He's had some durability issues in the past but seems to be beyond that playing in a total of 158 games out of a possible 164 in the last two seasons."

He must be dumb, because I learn here that Big Al is a horrible player. We must trade him to have any hope at all. :roll:

I would take Bynum or Bogut over Jefferson in a heartbeat. A heartbeat of someone who just chugged three Red Bulls. I would actually not take Noah over him though.

Or either Gasol.

BIG AL>

P.Gasol is viewed as a PF most likely (because he is). Bynum and Bogut got no love most likely because of constant injuries. M.Gasol is one of those guys who is so heralded for being underrated he is slowly becoming overrated.

This list kinda proves that there is no legitimate C in the league except Howard

P.Gasol is viewed as a PF most likely (because he is). Bynum and Bogut got no love most likely because of constant injuries. M.Gasol is one of those guys who is so heralded for being underrated he is slowly becoming overrated.

So Bogut doesn't qualify because of injuries, but Bynum does? Chandler?

Pau spends more than half of his time at C as well.

And who was a better C in the playoffs last year if not Marc? If we're going off of the hot thing (since Chandler is there) why does it not also apply to him?

Surprised Nene didn't make the list.

Noah couldn't get off the bench in the 4th quarter of an elimination game and he's no.2...

Bynum is not that good. Both gasols are better and so is bogut. Maybe he could be better on a different team, but right now he is a hyped up roll player. I would take nene any day over bynum.

Just confirms my thoughts on the PF vs C debate. Because of what he does on the floor, and who guards him and who he guards, he fits better as a center, regardless of how the ball club may want to portray him.

Just confirms my thoughts on the PF vs C debate. Because of what he does on the floor, and who guards him and who he guards, he fits better as a center, regardless of how the ball club may want to portray him.

Which means it's OBVIOUS we have to get rid of MILSAP because he is UNDERSIZED for PF, but not JEFFERSON EVEN though he is UNDERSIZED for a C. HE IS BIG AL> OKAY.

I dont agree with his top 5 but BIG AL is def. top 5 center in the league and its a pleasure to have him on our team he can teach Kanter and Favors alot