What's new

Bigger lost Jazz talent, Donyell Marshall or Shandon Anderson?

Darkwing Duck

I've been watching a few Jazz videos from the 90s and saw a lot of plays by Marshall and Anderson and it got me thinking to which one was the worse loss and how bad a decision it was for the two to leave Utah.

Both were amazing in Sloan's offense, but it seems like they wanted more prominent roles. Marshall's numbers were pretty similar the rest of his career, though he only played significantly more minutes per game once, a 66 game stretch in Toronto. Anderson kind of fell off a cliff after minor success in Houston.

So what do you think? I think Marshall was the bigger loss overall, but Anderson's departure made the Jazz very weak at the SG position.

Well for Donyell he was more in the prime/early end of his career when he came to utah. Shandon was a rookie and was a great success through his early years here. I think that Marshall was here for a chance to win and wasn't looking to improve much, and Anderson was a product of Jerry's system.

It's not fair to pair them together because they were both at different stages of their careers, so... I would definitely say Shandon Anderson made a mistake in leaving utah more than Marshall.

When Marshall left we signed Matt harpring, which was a better pickup for the team, where when Shandon left, we didn't really fill that void.

Sent from my SM-N915V using JazzFanz mobile app

Shandon leaving really hurt. It was at a time where having young legs kept us in the hunt by spelling time for our vets and we still had a shot. It was huge loss. By the time we lost DM the run was over. The fact that Shandon went to Houston was pouring salt in the wound.

My initial goal for Lyles is to be Donyell Marshell. a sweet long ball shooting big who can rebound a ton. If he can get there, we will be in business.

The thing about Shandon Anderson is that I think he knew his limitations and sold at his highest point. Ticked me off as a Jazz fan, but I get where he was coming from. When you get the Harrison Barnes overpay, you grab that as fast as you can.

I think Marshall did the absolute right thing leaving Utah.

Marshall was a lottery pick quickly reaching "bust" status before he was traded to Utah. Sloan absolutely revitalized his career. But Jerry Sloan wanted DM to be a more old school PF battling in the paint using his length to get buckets down low and fighting for rebounds. Clearly, Marshall didn't have the will or the athletic ability to be that type of player. I think he was much more happy hoisting corner 3's all day. And being he was pretty good at it there were plenty of teams willing to accommodate him. No chance he would have lasted nearly as long as he did in the league if he would have stayed in Utah his whole career.

Anderson was a marginal player made to look better than he was as a proto-typical Jerry Sloan system guy. Playing next to two HOF'ers didn't hurt either. As soon as he left Utah he was exposed. But at the end of the day I doubt he lost any sleep over it either. He somehow managed to last another 7 or 8 years in the league, made money in NYC that he never would have gotten with The Jazz and got a ring in Miami. In return all he had to put up with was getting boo'ed like crazy 1 or 2 times a year when playing in Utah.

Fun Donyell Marshall story: I had brief business dealings with him in April during his final season in Utah. Things he told me:

-He badly wanted to stay in Utah but he felt like it wasn't in the cards.

-He cringed when he was told he had been traded to Utah. Ha hated Karl Malone and felt it was a redneck state.

-His beef with Karl was that Malone cracked one of Donyell's ribs a few seasons prior driving to the hoop with his knee up.

-He fell in love with the state and made peace with Malone almost immediately. He told me Utah was the best kept secret in the NBA and that he'd never had a better teammate than Karl.

Fun Donyell Marshall story: I had brief business dealings with him in April during his final season in Utah. Things he told me:

-He badly wanted to stay in Utah but he felt like it wasn't in the cards.

-He cringed when he was told he had been traded to Utah. Ha hated Karl Malone and felt it was a redneck state.

-His beef with Karl was that Malone cracked one of Donyell's ribs a few seasons prior driving to the hoop with his knee up.

-He fell in love with the state and made peace with Malone almost immediately. He told me Utah was the best kept secret in the NBA and that he'd never had a better teammate than Karl.

By "Brief business dealing" you probably are referring to your days as a male order Gigolo... 1 hour appointment that was over in 15 seconds so you had time to talk. Bravo. Way to get more out of him than the typical customer. ;)

I've been watching a few Jazz videos from the 90s and saw a lot of plays by Marshall and Anderson and it got me thinking to which one was the worse loss and how bad a decision it was for the two to leave Utah.

Both were amazing in Sloan's offense, but it seems like they wanted more prominent roles. Marshall's numbers were pretty similar the rest of his career, though he only played significantly more minutes per game once, a 66 game stretch in Toronto. Anderson kind of fell off a cliff after minor success in Houston.

So what do you think? I think Marshall was the bigger loss overall, but Anderson's departure made the Jazz very weak at the SG position.

This poll shouldn't be close.

I thought Marshall improved after leaving. I've also long held the stance that Anderson could have been the championship difference. He became a scrub after leaving Sloan and two hofers.

Calbert Cheaney was another Jazz revival.

I honestly think that this is the perfect example of the value of a quality head coach. Both players were Coached by extraordinary coaches during their career. But their highlights will be remembered mostly by their attributes while playing for the Utah Jazz. This shows you that the being apart of a quality system means everything. Marshall started to be noticed by while he was with the Warriors being coached under P.J. Carlesimo, and his stock would only rise under coach Sloan. Sloan new how to utilize his skills for the better of the team. After he left he floated from team to team, never really providing a role as a the asset that he showed while in Utah.
Shannon Anderson would leave the Jazz showing glimmers of promise with the Rockets under coach Rudy Tomjanovich. After Rudy, Shannon became irrelevant. Not because of his talent, but because he was never a part of a coach or a team that extracted his talent. Having the right coach means everything.

Dude, I wish I had Donyell Marshall up inside of me!
200.gif

I felt really sorry when Anderson left because I thought that his role could be slowly expanded during the following years, in a similar fashion as what the Spurs did with Kahwi Leonard recently - not that Anderson had as much potential as Leonard, but he too was a "tough and athletic wing who couldn't really create his own shots but knew his limitations". Before Anderson left, I thought he would become a quasi all-star in two or three years, maybe averaging 16-18 points per game for the Jazz. Harpring ended up having a season like that in his first season with the team.

It was long ago, but if I remember it correctly, Anderson, a few years after leaving the Jazz, complained that the team was run in a too strict manner, too much like the army.

Quick initial reaction is that Shandon was a hindsight bigger mistake.
Anderson was primed and set up to be a breakout possible star with no pressure yet. He couldnt/wouldnt just wait, and flamed out fast.
Marshall possibly peaked at Utah, but didnt really fall off stat wise and did the same thing for a few more years.

If Marshall could have gelled with Stock and Malone better, and just flowed into his role on the team, he could have been a Hornacek level difference maker. Dude could play all 3 front court spots (center in spot minutes depending on matchup), and was arguably one of the first "stretch-4's" seen in the wild. To me that was the bigger loss.

Shandon did what he should have, sold high. He was what he was due to the system, not due to his individual talents. The best talent anyone could have for playing on the Jazz in those days was effort, since Jerry had everything figured out and had 2 player-coaches on the floor, all the other guys really needed to do was understand their role and play hard and they would look like they were 2 tiers better than they really were. Shandon was the perfect example of this. But it was also the need of the player to subject himself to to his role that pushed a lot of good players away or made them not want to come here. Why play fewer minutes in the Stockton/Malone shadow when I can make the same money and get some real minutes and look like the big shot?

I was more disappointed with Anderson leaving. It's interesting that he looked so good then but going back and at least looking at him on paper, I remember him more than the stats suggest. Regarding Marshall, he left as AK was rising and I felt it was okay to let him walk to let Kirilenko step up. I had thought the FO had the same thought but then they curiously went out and picked up Harpring, who had a long tenure with us an overall was decent, but I wasn't a fan of him and Bell being Jerry's pet players because a lot of their stupidity was overlooked.

Anyway, Marshall never was a three point shooter before or during his era here. It wasn't until after he left and particularly with the Cavs that he started increasing his attempts and percentage. In fact, I remember on the old JazzHoops message boards that the ongoing discussion about Marshall not being able to "spread the D" (it's funny all the clichés that come and go [you don't play defense with the top of your head, rim protector, to name a few]). With the rumors circling at the time of dealing Russell and Marshall for Van Horn, people were excited about Van Horn being able to spread the floor much more than Marshall.

I've also long held the stance that Anderson could have been the championship difference.

In 2000?

If Marshall could have gelled with Stock and Malone better, and just flowed into his role on the team, he could have been a Hornacek level difference maker. Dude could play all 3 front court spots (center in spot minutes depending on matchup), and was arguably one of the first "stretch-4's" seen in the wild. To me that was the bigger loss.

Shandon did what he should have, sold high. He was what he was due to the system, not due to his individual talents. The best talent anyone could have for playing on the Jazz in those days was effort, since Jerry had everything figured out and had 2 player-coaches on the floor, all the other guys really needed to do was understand their role and play hard and they would look like they were 2 tiers better than they really were. Shandon was the perfect example of this. But it was also the need of the player to subject himself to to his role that pushed a lot of good players away or made them not want to come here. Why play fewer minutes in the Stockton/Malone shadow when I can make the same money and get some real minutes and look like the big shot?

Exactly it. It shows you how even the decisions from the role players, can make or break a legacy. By choosing / chasing more money those guys became otherwise forgotten. If they had stayed faithful, their could have been championships involved.