What's new

Bill Simmons Jazz.....love?

BabyPeterzz

Contributor
https://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/101015&sportCat=nba

We're about five weeks away from NBA GMs anonymously complaining to writers about the Al Jefferson hijacking. I can't wait.

(On a personal note, I loved Big Al on the Celtics, rooted for him in Minnesota, felt like a proud dad when his career was taking off in January '08, agonized for him when he blew out his knee that same month, then felt terrible last year as he struggled through one of the worst situations in recent memory. Seeing Jefferson get a chance to rejuvenate his career with a top-four point guard and a top-four coach -- on a good team, in a city that gives a crap -- is one of my five favorite things about this upcoming season. So there.)

Nice little dig at Deron being "top four" at his position, but he likes Big Al to the Jazz. And so do we.

Bill Simmons can slob on my knob. Can't stand the ******. This little blurb doesn't change anything. Makes me loathe the ******* even more, in fact.

Calm down about Simmons. He repeatedly said Deron had "the conch" (Lord of the Flies reference) as the best point guard in the league during last year's playoffs, and he admitted that Paul/Williams was an actual argument after he'd dismissed D-Will for years. He's come around on Deron. I do think "top-four" PG is a bit absurd - there's no way in hell Rondo, for example, is better than Deron, and that's not even a discussion. But still...

Calm down about Simmons. He repeatedly said Deron had "the conch" (Lord of the Flies reference) as the best point guard in the league during last year's playoffs, and he admitted that Paul/Williams was an actual argument after he'd dismissed D-Will for years. He's come around on Deron. I do think "top-four" PG is a bit absurd - there's no way in hell Rondo, for example, is better than Deron, and that's not even a discussion. But still...

The hatred for that **** goes back years. He's always hated on certain legendary Jazz players. Taking shots at them whenever possible, unfairly in many cases. Dis juss ain't 'bout Darren, man.

He said Deron had the conch, and then immediately gave the conch to Rondo during the Celtics-Cavs series.

As to Rondo, doesn't what happened at the World Championships tell you everything you need to know?

The same column is pretty brutal on the issue of the Wesley Matthews deal.

By the way, at some point, I need the $33.4 million Wesley Matthews contract explained to me. Yeah, this was an especially dense summer for front offices: Channing Frye, Darko Milicic, Amir Johnson, Brendan Haywood, Al Harrington, Drew Gooden, Hakim Warrick and Travis Outlaw signed for a combined $248 million even as the owners were crying for a hard salary cap and reduced payrolls. (Savvy, fellas. Way to hold the fort.) But in every case, I got it. Either the team wanted to spend enough to get to the cap minimum; it severely overrated a non-impact player; it panicked; it screwed up; it was delusional; or, in David Kahn's case with Darko, all of the above. But Portland paid Matthews (at least) twice what he was worth to back up Brandon Roy.

Huh???

Why not trade Fernandez first? Why do it at all? What am I missing? And how fast did Matthews' agent say, "WE AGREE TO YOUR OFFER!" Two seconds? One second? Half a second? I'm so confused. Even if you did it just to collect an asset for trading down the road -- like what Houston did with Trevor Ariza last season -- how will Matthews keep his value with a bad contract if he's playing 10 minutes a game? Please explain this to me. Someone. Anyone. Actually, add him to the list of reasons Portland is No. 18: I need to see Wesley Matthews in person again. Maybe I missed the magic the first time around.

I think Rondo has a legitimate shot at being a top point guard in the NBA. Yeah he has pieces around him, so does Deron (and now so does Rose). But really those guys are all really really close. It's hard to pick a "top PG" when so many of them are so talented. Of the "Top 4" PGs, Its really hard not to have Rondo and Deron at the top with Paul and Rose behind them. Rondo nearly won a Title as an underdog team against a far favored LA team on the road. Dwill hasn't done anything as remarkable yet.

Simmons is an idiot, however, no need to diss Rondo. He obviously isn't as good as Deron, who may be the best PG in the league, but there is little doubt that Rondo is already one of the best PGs in the NBA (third in assists and first or second in steals).

Rondo is definitely in the Top 4. But when "Top 4 PGs in the League" is uttered, it should not be used for either one of the Top 2 Pgs in the League. Logically, it does not make sense, but elsewise, it does.

Rondo is a rich man's Nate McMillan until he develops a shot. End of story.

He shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Williams. It's like saying Ben Wallace is in David Robinson's league based on their defensive games being at similar level.

The one thing I found funny about the article is how he thinks Boozer is a hard worker. In order to be a hard worker in this league you have to play both sides of the ball which he most definitely does not. By the way he has them as the 6th team to watch and Jazz as the 13th behind Milwaukee and Dallas.

https://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100208/two

Simmons doesn't rank Rondo higher than DWill (as of Feb '10)
His top four:
1.CP3
2.Rose - Mostly because of his rookie deal compared to DWill's max deal...
3.DWill
4.Rondo

Closer to the playoffs he admitted that Dwill is the top PG in the league after they beat Denver. After the C's took down the Cavs he made an argument for Rondo.. which I can't deny (are we talking about winning games that matter. . Rondo has all the "top PGs" beat in that category)

Wait, what the hell are (some of) you people talking about? The top 4 isn't D-Will, Paul, Rondo and Rose. It's D-Will, Paul, Rondo and NASH. Yes, still. Once Rose learns how to pass, hit outside shots and play defense, he'll be able to jump into the discussion. Until then, no dice. (And yes, I know Nash can't play D, either, but he's still the best passer in the league, and arguably the best pure shooter, too.)