What's new

Biyombo- just came out he has back issues- worth the risk?

Golfman

TheHoopsReport Ryan Feldman
BREAKING: I was told by a trusted league source today at NBA Draft media day that Bismack Biyombo has a medical red flag with his back. The source said they still expect Biyombo to be drafted either at 8 by the Pistons or 9 by the Bobcats, despite the back issue. If Biyombo slips past 9, he could easily slide to 19, or even further, a la DeJuan Blair when he had his medical red flag.

This was posted 40 minutes ago, Feldman promises more details to come. Keep your eye on this. I have a feeling he could be there at 12 for us after this news (even though the tweet says otherwise), if we want to take the risk. I wouldn't take the risk on a guy that has 0 offensive game.

Damn, weird for an 18 year old who is in that good of shape to have back issues.

Yeah but back and knee issues are common in guys that size, he may just be starting early on it. I would think it would signal more of a short career than no career at all.

Here's an update. https://thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=755

I was told by a trusted league source today in New York at NBA Draft media day that Bismack Biyombo has a medical red flag with is back.

Biyombo's medical report was handed out to every single NBA team by his agent. At least one team's medical staff decided there was an issue with his back that they deemed a red flag. The source said some teams may have decided it wasn't that much of an issue, but some teams have decided it is an issue.

The source said there are also some question marks on the medical report regarding Biyombo's knees, but the source said his knees weren't enough of an issue to be considered a red flag.

A similar situation came up a couple years ago with DeJuan Blair, who was projected as a lottery pick, and he fell all the way to the second round.

Was Blair ever projected top 10? I know he dropped, but I didn't remember it being like that. If anything, doesn't the Blair situation help Biyombo not drop?

Here's an update. https://thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=755

"I was told by a trusted league source today in New York at NBA Draft media day that Bismack Biyombo has a medical red flag with is back.

Biyombo's medical report was handed out to every single NBA team by his agent. At least one team's medical staff decided there was an issue with his back that they deemed a red flag. The source said some teams may have decided it wasn't that much of an issue, but some teams have decided it is an issue.

The source said there are also some question marks on the medical report regarding Biyombo's knees, but the source said his knees weren't enough of an issue to be considered a red flag.

A similar situation came up a couple years ago with DeJuan Blair, who was projected as a lottery pick, and he fell all the way to the second round."

Also, according to Feldman, an NBA GM told him he wouldn't be surprised if Utah passed on Derrick Williams. How pissed would you be if that happened?

Livid because that means we take Knight over Williams

Williams over Knight isn't so clear cut. Look at it this way: what would you have thought of Williams if he declared after his freshman year? Now look at Knight. What do you think his stats would be next year? Whatever you think those numbers would be is how Knight compares to Williams.

Williams over Knight isn't so clear cut. Look at it this way: what would you have thought of Williams if he declared after his freshman year? Now look at Knight. What do you think his stats would be next year? Whatever you think those numbers would be is how Knight compares to Williams.

Their is a definite exciting factor of Williams though. Williams would give us a dangerous line at positions 1-5, especially if we can land Walker or Jimmer at 12.

why does it have to be Ryan Feldman?

Bismack Biyombo impressive in final predraft workout

CHARLOTTE -- Working out for the third team in three days, Bismack Biyombo continued his recovery from a poor showing at the adidas Eurocamp in Treviso, Italy, by flashing the athleticism that had NBA scouts and fans drooling after his Nike Hoop Summit performance in April.

Biyombo was a part of a six-man workout in Charlotte in front of coach Paul Silas, general manager Rich Cho and owner Michael Jordan. Matched up against Marcus Morris, Jordan Hamilton, Chris Singleton, JaJuan Johnson and Thomas Coleman, Biyombo did what one might expect -- blocked shots and threw down dunks in spectacular fashion -- but he also managed to display a shooting touch that was better than advertised. Biyombo worked out for the Raptors on Monday and the Pistons on Tuesday.

He's not falling past 8 or 9

Sorry, but no way. Williams played over half the season with a broken hand, wouldn't even acknowledge it was broken so that opponents would not know. The coaching staff finally let it leak after it healed (right before the tourney). Miller (the coach) says every other player he has coached would have sat with that injury and that he thought Williams should do. Most players do not have anywhere close to the improvement that Williams has shown. Assuming that Knight will do the same is assuming that Knight is also incredibly above average, something that his performances early on this year would not indicate (if you actually watched his games). Williams stats may not be there is first year, but his game actually was still fun to watch.

I have watch Sean Elliot, Sean Rooks, Khalid Reeves, Damon S., Gilbert Arenas, Richard Jefferson, Luke Walton and Derrick Williams all play in person (only saw williams 6 times in person though). Of them, I felt that Elliot, Reeves, Arenas, and Jefferson would have good careers. I felt that Channing Frye would be lucky to make it to the league. Williams though is just an amazing competitor. He REFUSES to lose. He really is special. I honestly believe he may be the best to ever come out of Arizona.

This sort of thing happens every year right before the draft. Usually (Darrell Arthur and Dejuan Blair) the medical concerns are overblown.