What's new

Boris Diaw BB School

karpasov

I am so hyped about this guy.
He represents everything I love about basketball.
Team play. Smart play.

It makes it even more sweet that he is not the most athletic being on earth..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8PfIPWJl2A

I love good passing. It might be my favorite thing about the game. As much as the Spurs pissed me off they are/were a well oiled machine.

We'll have improved passing this year with Exum back, and the addition of Bobo.

ESPN about the 2014 Finals said:
One of the more surprising aspects of the Diaw story is the way that his biggest fans, before they start dissecting the way he's sneaked up on the Heat this week, are so keen to remind you that they once gushed over his athletic gifts.

You read right.

Absolutely gushed.

There was a time that Boris Babacar Diaw-Riffiod, target of all those #croissant jabs on Twitter, was regarded as a supreme athlete.

"People don't know how athletic he is," said Charlotte Hornets pro scouting director Todd Quinter, who was a key member of the Suns' front office for 26 seasons from 1986-2011.

"When we acquired Boris in 2006, he was probably the fastest guy on the team from end to end. He could also really leap. Yet somehow he doesn't rely on his athleticism to get things done. It's almost like he uses it as a last resort."

You hear similar tales of awe from those who were with Diaw in Atlanta too.

"Everybody loves the chase-down block that LeBron is so good at, right?" Stotts said. "When we were watching video of [Diaw] before we drafted him, I can't tell you how many of those we saw. He's deceptively athletic with great timing and instincts. He has a wingspan that's deceptive too."

The capper comes from Cleveland Cavaliers general manager David Griffin, who, like Quinter, was an integral part of the Suns' front-office team when Diaw was acquired in a sign-and-trade for Joe Johnson orchestrated by then-Suns personnel chief Bryan Colangelo.

"Boris walks into the gym one day wearing flip-flops and holding his customary cappuccino, which was a staple for him every morning," Griffin recalled. "It was during pre-draft workouts, so he sees the Vertec [machine] and asks what it is.

"We tell him it measures your vertical leap by determining how many of the bars you can touch. He asks what's the highest anyone has ever gone, and we tell him Amare' [Stoudemire] cleared the entire rack.

"Boris puts down the cappuccino, takes off his flip-flops and clears the entire rack on the first try. Then he calmly puts his flip-flops back on, picks up his cappuccino and walks away, saying, 'That was not difficult.'"

Source: https://www.espn.com.au/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11084748/boris-diaw-dishes-san-antonio-spurs

I am so hyped about this guy.
He represents everything I love about basketball.
Team play. Smart play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8PfIPWJl2A

lol at the music.

lol at the music.

You beat me to it. Friggin Dido! This video was definitely made by a Spurs fan who is going to start watching the Jazz now that his favorite players are no longer with the team? Boris, Ayres, and that other guy... Dunkman or something like that...

Love Eminem but sport highlight videos are so much better with the original commentary imo.

I'm a Diaw fan because I once picked him up off the waiver wire in Fantasy Basketball and he blew up. We won a championship together. If you've ever won a Fantasy Basketball championship you'll understand the level of excitement that my team felt. Boris will always have a special place in my heart (and I assume he probably feels the same way about me).