What's new

Both Rip & KMart make $25M so...

PrinceJL

... why don't we just trade w/ Houston for Kevin Martin (better perimeter shooter than Rip) for Jefferson, McHale loves Big Al!! (expand to Martin/Flynn for Jefferson/Bell or CJ, not sure if we can swap CJ)???

This give Burks some time to develop is own game, while still keeping us competitive. Yes, we're still missing a perimeter stopper but who else is there, other than Granger/Jefferson (1st preference)?

I just bring this up because Rip alone for Jefferson (Millsap's role here would be better than Jefferson's) is too much & no way would they give us Knight with this package... but Jefferson (probably our best offensive player) for Martin (HOU's best offensive player, who too is a liability on D where McHale now their coach), seems more of an ideal fit for both teams.

I know HOU has Scola on their roster so maybe a 3-teamer (HOU will need a little more in return in most)
UTA: Granger/Posey/INDY conditional = HOU: Al/CJ or Bell = INDY: Martin/Scola
UTA: Martin/Chandler = HOU: Al/CJ or Bell = DEN: Scola (has to be tweaked cap-wise)
UTA: Martin/Thompson = HOU: Al/CJ or Bell = SAC: Scola
UTA: Martin/Barbosa/rights to Valanciunas = HOU:Al/CJ or Bell = TOR: Scola/rights to Tomic

*BTW, great draft by the FO*

Last edited:
NO, **** NO!! Why the **** do people want to trade our best player for crap. Sap is not, and will not be a legit starter for us. Trade Sap to ease the jam at big if you need to.

No. I don't want a band-aid. We need a veteran with at least 6 years of solid play left. Our young guys will take 2-3 years to develop - at a minimum. If the Jazz bring in a veteran starter, you want a guy who is still going to be good 4-5 years down the road, not be off the team or in decline just when the others are starting to hit their strides.

Maybe the solution is to just stand pat - pick up the option on CJ, then see if a trade can be made for CJ or Okur's contract. Or see what comes out of the Jazz or GS pick. They could end up with both - or neither next season.

We're getting younger and rebuilding now.

What part of this do you not understand?

If we wanted to win big RIGHT NOW, we would have made trades like these a few years ago (like what Phx did and what Boston did).

But as soon as Dwill was traded, the Jazz waved the white flag, told the fans that they weren't going to compete for a title with the current core, and should be allowed a few years to reload (via the draft and via trades for young players).

Lets understand this, and move on.

NO, **** NO!! Why the **** do people want to trade our best player for crap. Sap is not, and will not be a legit starter for us. Trade Sap to ease the jam at big if you need to.

NO WHERE was mention that Millsap will be slated as starter AND if he's not a starter on our retooling team, then WHY would he NET us a legit SG in return?!?!

No. I don't want a band-aid. We need a veteran with at least 6 years of solid play left. Our young guys will take 2-3 years to develop - at a minimum. If the Jazz bring in a veteran starter, you want a guy who is still going to be good 4-5 years down the road, not be off the team or in decline just when the others are starting to hit their strides.

Maybe the solution is to just stand pat - pick up the option on CJ, then see if a trade can be made for CJ or Okur's contract. Or see what comes out of the Jazz or GS pick. They could end up with both - or neither next season.

Al's contract & Martin's contract both run the same length, Granger has an additional year for $14M.

FYI - I'm know these are just #s' but Jefferson's PER = 20.20 & Martin's = 21.46 (higher than Monta 18.69, Gordan 18.56, Iggy 17.30, Johnson 16.46, Allen 16.42, Rip 15.86, Wes 15.60)

We're getting younger and rebuilding now.

What part of this do you not understand?

If we wanted to win big RIGHT NOW, we would have made trades like these a few years ago (like what Phx did and what Boston did).

But as soon as Dwill was traded, the Jazz waved the white flag, told the fans that they weren't going to compete for a title with the current core, and should be allowed a few years to reload (via the draft and via trades for young players).

Lets understand this, and move on.

I hope you weren't referring to my OP cause no where i suggested we trade for Rip (22,774 mins) & Martin (13,585)/Granger (14,891) are both 28, Al is 26 (14,950).

I hope you weren't referring to my OP cause no where i suggested we trade for Rip (22,774 mins) & Martin (13,585)/Granger (14,891) are both 28, Al is 26 (14,950).

Youth trumps minutes played, because minutes played isn't actually a determinant to the amount of years left in a player, because every guy in this league works hard everyday even if they're not on the TV. So someone who is 26 actually has a 2 year advantage over someone who is 28 even if mp's are similar, because that older guy spent those 2 years working hard and destroying their body in college or practicing in the pros while not getting a lot of court time. There's a reason everybody gets a ring on the championship team, because everybody has worked for it, not just the guys who got minutes..

Your argument is stupid, case dismissed.

Youth trumps minutes played, because minutes played isn't actually a determinant to the amount of years left in a player, because every guy in this league works hard everyday even if they're not on the TV. So someone who is 26 actually has a 2 year advantage over someone who is 28 even if mp's are similar, because that older guy spent those 2 years working hard and destroying their body in college or practicing in the pros while not getting a lot of court time. There's a reason everybody gets a ring on the championship team, because everybody has worked for it, not just the guys who got minutes..

Your argument is stupid, case dismissed.

A) tell me where I want to get older (specifically Rip) from my OP
B) i loved the DWill trade when it happened, which side were you on when you first heard about it? thus, i'm being realistic that we are NOT going to make the playoffs next year too which is why I suggest trade Al over Millsap (as Favors/Kanter should be our eventual starters).
C) minutes played vs age argument.... https://suns.planetorange.net/service/displayDiscussionThreads.kickAction?as=9952&w=57671&d=528692 "fast don't lie"
D) if a highschooler/underclassmen is in the nba, they are actually practicing harder in the NBA (more games/practices & intense profession) then an upperclassmen (jr/sf) so.... re-read your argument, case dismissed!

A) tell me where I want to get older (specifically Rip) from my OP
B) i loved the DWill trade when it happened, which side were you on when you first heard about it? thus, i'm being realistic that we are NOT going to make the playoffs next year too which is why I suggest trade Al over Millsap (as Favors/Kanter should be our eventual starters).
C) minutes played vs age argument.... https://suns.planetorange.net/service/displayDiscussionThreads.kickAction?as=9952&w=57671&d=528692 "fast don't lie"
D) if a highschooler/underclassmen is in the nba, they are actually practicing harder in the NBA (more games/practices & intense profession) then an upperclassmen (jr/sf) so.... re-read your argument, case dismissed!

The stats are there, guy. Nba players drop off from 32-35... no matter what the minutes played are. Bird and Nash dropped off with about 32,000 minutes logged in their early to mid 30's... for comparison Lebron James will play his 32,000th minute next year... you'd have to be crazy to think he might only have one good year left. Moses Malone played 50,000 minutes before he dropped off at 34, coming out of high school same with Karl although he was 37. Dirks logged 42,000 minutes and his dropoff hasn't occurred yet... I assume it will be next 2 years. The only consistent thing, about when players drop off is they do it from age 32-35, no matter years played in college or coming out of high school.