What's new

Brazilian President Impeached

Not entirely correct. The Brazilian House voted to impeach but it still has to go through the Brazilian Senate and they wont vote on it till next month. Having said that it doesn't look good for their President.

Glenn Greenwald has been rampantly criticizing this-- because those smearing the prez as corrupt are apparently corrupt themselves..? The press is also apparently very much not "free". I see rumblings on it from him on twitter, but I've never really dived into it.

The political games being played don't surprise me at all.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...bate-on-rousseff-impeachment/article29642515/

With Brazil two years into a vicious recession, Ms. Rousseff is deeply unpopular and her party has been crippled by the revelations of the Lava Jato investigation into a giant graft scandal. But the President herself faces no allegation of financial impropriety. However, of the 594 Congress members who will vote on her impeachment, 318 are under investigation or face charges. On Friday, Lava Jato prosecutors revealed that new plea-bargain testimony shows $16-million (U.S.) was allegedly paid in bribes to house speaker Eduardo Cunha. He already faces charges of squirrelling $5-million (U.S.) into Swiss bank accounts. He is the chief architect of the drive to impeach the President.

Does this make sense to anyone? Yikes.

Just further solidifies the notion that it was a joke that Brazil got the Olympics this summer.

Not entirely correct. The Brazilian House voted to impeach but it still has to go through the Brazilian Senate and they wont vote on it till next month. Having said that it doesn't look good for their President.

Here is what's happening.

Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, in order to pay everything the government had to pay, got bank loans.

This happens every once in a while and usually the government pays back the bank afer a few days. It's a procedure just to organize the "cash flow".

The problem is, she did that for too long, in order to get reelected. During the election, she promised things and did exactly the contrary months after. For example: She said our electricity rates would stay the same, and months later, she announced a rase. She did the same thing with gas price.

Now, even doing all this, if a President gets caught in a corruption scandal, it can only get prossecuted during the mandate. What does this mean? If you steal money during your first mandate, get reelected, you can't get prossecuted until the second mandate is over(I know it's stupid).

But Guess what? She kept doing it after the reelection! One other problem is that the senate and the federal representatives are almost full of corrupt people.

I'm sorry for the broken english, it's probably confusing and hard to understand, not because it's difficult, but my english is so poor.

Just to make it shorter and easier to understand:

Brazil is Gotham, Batman is dead, we're watching the Penguin try to stop the Joker.

Everybody is corrupt and we're trying to lose the "less worse"

Here is what's happening.

Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, in order to pay everything the government had to pay, got bank loans.

This happens every once in a while and usually the government pays back the bank afer a few days. It's a procedure just to organize the "cash flow".

The problem is, she did that for too long, in order to get reelected. During the election, she promised things and did exactly the contrary months after. For example: She said our electricity rates would stay the same, and months later, she announced a rase. She did the same thing with gas price.

Now, even doing all this, if a President gets caught in a corruption scandal, it can only get prossecuted during the mandate. What does this mean? If you steal money during your first mandate, get reelected, you can't get prossecuted until the second mandate is over(I know it's stupid).

But Guess what? She kept doing it after the reelection! One other problem is that the senate and the federal representatives are almost full of corrupt people.

I'm sorry for the broken english, it's probably confusing and hard to understand, not because it's difficult, but my english is so poor.

Your English is just fine. Thanks for the DL brotha.

This makes the USA political scene seem tame in comparison. Good luck to you all.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

It was a coup.

All the presidents, governors and mayors did the same thing. It's not a crime. By the way, President Dilma is not corrupt.