What's new

Brian Shaw a viable candidate for next Head Coach?

Litany

Saw this on Wiretap of RealGM. He sounds like a pretty smart guy. What do people know about him and think of him as a replacement?

Brian Shaw turned down an offer to coach the Charlotte Bobcats, who currently hold the NBA’s worst record.

"I want to be in a situation where I have a chance," Shaw said. "Usually when you come into your first head coaching job, you don't get to dictate what the situation is going to be. But you want a chance and an organization that has a game plan going forward that's sustainable and where you have some pieces of value where you can put things together and get on the fast track."

Shaw also interviewed for vacant head coaching positions during the offseason with the Portland Trail Blazers and Orlando Magic.

"I'm perceived as just a triangle guy," Shaw said. "I have conversations with Phil [Jackson] and I said, 'I thought working for you and playing for you would be my biggest asset going into interviews. Actually it's been my biggest liability.'

"We've laughed about it. He's said to me on more than one occasion, 'It's best for you to distance yourself from me and our system.' "

Shaw has spent the past two seasons as the Indiana Pacers' associate coach, partly serving as a mentor for head coach Frank Vogel.

"When he gets an opportunity," Vogel said, "he's going to be a coach of the year candidate every single year."

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...h-Bobcats-Still-Waiting-For-Right-Opportunity

I don't know a lot about him as a coach, other than the fact that Kobe and other Lakers players would have supported him becoming the head coach after Phil Jackson left. Obviously he's been mentioned/linked to numerous coaching openings the last couple of years like that RealGM post mentions. Will he be a great head coach? Maybe. Would he be better than Corbin? Absolutely!

If we can't get Phil, Larry Brown, Budenholzer, or S. Van Gundy. Sure I guess he'd be worth giving a shot.

So he is mentoring the Pacers coach or being mentored by the Pacers coach?

Like nightmare said he'd almost certainly be better than Ty, but there's no way of knowing right now if Shaw is great or just a rich man's Ty (which won't nearly be good enough). I still want the proven and probably attainable option:

S V G

I don't have much opinion on what kind of coach he is .. x's and o's.. but I do know that most everybody likes and respects him. He's thought of as a cool dude. Sometimes that's bad, but in this case I think it's good.

He was also a PG, mainly, and could stroke it.. maybe he'd rub off.

I do wonder how many of these endorsements are genuine though. If I was put on the spot and asked if PKM was a great poster....I'd probably say he's the best ever. Would I really mean it though?

Not sure I like that analogy.

Having said that, I'm not talking about media stuff.. talking about real players talking in real situations.. with no media around. I can say I am sure that his charisma carries some weight. Still has to be able to coach though.

I'm with everyone on preferring a coach that has had Head Coach experience already such as Stan (hes my first choice) but I just thought I would get peoples thoughts on this guy.

I would really like Brad Stevens as well (I think it was PKM or Thriller who mentioned him).

I really think we'd keep the job in-house. If Corbin is axed, I bet Jeff Hornacek would be first in line. Personally I would love that move.

I really think we'd keep the job in-house. If Corbin is axed, I bet Jeff Hornacek would be first in line. Personally I would love that move.

It would be a bad move to give Hornacek the job without conducting a wide search. I'd be in favor of the Jazz making Hornacek the head coach if they think he's right person after a thorough search.

It would be a bad move to give Hornacek the job without conducting a wide search. I'd be in favor of the Jazz making Hornacek the head coach if they think he's right person after a thorough search.

Well said. If hiring from within with purpose, but just out of practice.. or just to save a few bucks?? **** you greg.

If you are ready to get rid of the flex offense and think that the Jazz roster can pull off the triangle offense, Shaw would be a strong choice. Have the Jazz EVER fired a coach though?

If Hornacek gets the job I'm going to throw up. I'd really love it if we can finally move past Sloan and his disciples within the century.

If Hornacek gets the job I'm going to throw up. I'd really love it if we can finally move past Sloan and his disciples within the century.

I know he played for Jerry, but I don't see Hornacek as being a coaching disciple of Sloan. I think he's smarter and more adaptable than Ty.

We need a coach that can take mediocre players and make them premier competitors....and.....give us a good post game interview. It all adds up to Stan Van Gundy!!! Look what he did for the Magic with that goofy clown Dwight Howard at center!!! Plus, if we sign Stan, we might attract Howard to SLC! Save our franchise, keep the team from moving!