What's new

Burks 4 year $42 million extension!

Klay's also a solid wing defender.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

I'm sorta surprised to hear you say that, given what you say about "Gordo." He isn't any better than Hayward at defense, however you want to describe it. (In fact, I'd say Hayward is a bit better).

I think Alec is comfortable here which is probably what made the negotiation process easy. His shy personality and lack of verbal skills could have made things real tough on him if he went to a different media market. I could not see him being able to man the podium after signing a contract with a team like the Knicks or the Lakers. I'm willing to bet he gets more nervous for a David Locke interview than a game 7 last second shot.

“I feel very blessed and want to thank the Miller family and Jazz organization for their belief in me and my abilities, and to have made this type of commitment to me,” said Burks. “Jazz fans have been very supportive of me since day one, and I am very happy to be able to continue my playing career in Utah, which has become like a second home to my family and me.” -Alec Burks.

Good guy.

I like Burks at $10 mil a lot more than I like Klay at $17 mil. Klay is the beneficiary of the amount of defensive attention that Steph Curry commands.

All Klay does is hit 3's and play good defense. I don't think he really adds much else to his team.

I don't know whether Burks will live up to the contract or not... but we should, in the market of Utah, ask ourselves: how much would we have to pay for a Burks-caliber wing? If we'd want to bring a free agent from somewhere else in, we'd have to really overpay him. We wanted to keep the guy we drafted and are developing--and who has made consistent progress--so we had to moderately overpay him.

This contract will depend on whether Burks progresses/regresses, and of course the future cap. I don't think it's a bad deal. We're going to be letting Kanter walkaway after this season, if we can't trade him. It was smart to secure our other young guy--the one who is a real asset.

The Warriors just ****ed themselves. They gave too big a contract, and tied up too much money is a pasty mostly complementary soft player, who cannot lead a team by himself.

I don't understand the hate for this contract. In a couple seasons the salary floor will be like $73million. What else are they going to spend the money on? Are any top free agents going to sign with a rebuilding team in Salt Lake City? With Hayward, Burks, and Favors locked up, how else would they get to the floor? Hell, they could even afford to overpay Kanter and still be fine (I'm not sure if they will keep Enes though).

I thought Alec would re-sign for about $10 mil, and I'm glad he did. He definitely would have gotten a bigger offer on the market.

I don't understand the hate for this contract. In a couple seasons the salary floor will be like $73million. What else are they going to spend the money on? Are any top free agents going to sign with a rebuilding team in Salt Lake City? With Hayward, Burks, and Favors locked up, how else would they get to the floor? Hell, they could even afford to overpay Kanter and still be fine (I'm not sure if they will keep Enes though).

I thought Alec would re-sign for about $10 mil, and I'm glad he did. He definitely would have gotten a bigger offer on the market.

What hate? The reactions range from "awesome!" to "wish they could have gotten him a bit cheaper". I'm pretty sure everyone is okay with the extension.

I think, that at the end of the day, the Jazz wanted Alec Burks long-term and he's happy playing here. If they'd gambled on letting him get to RFA, I think that a full season as a starter would have significantly raised his price tag. Jazz probably learned their lesson with Hayward from last year. Not enough young guys hitting the market and way too many teams with cap space means that a reasonable contract becomes an albatross. If they wanted Burks in their plans long-term, then the Jazz probably saved themselves millions of dollars per year today.

I love this deal. I honestly thought some team was going to throw 15m at him if we allowed him to get to RFA.

Burks is easily the most exciting player on our team. Dude has star potential, and will easily live up to this deal. It wouldn't surprise me if Burks were to become the leading scorer for this team starting this year. In all honesty, that's the only way I see this team winning games. Give the ball to Alec and Gordon. Put DJ Augustine 2.0 aka Trey in the corner spot where he belongs. Let Alec and Gordon create.

Jazz should have signed Steph Curry instead for 4yr/44M

Looking forward to when Curry wants a raise over what Thompson got today. The only reason that Curry got that contract was because his ankle situation sucked. The Warriors took a chance that he'd stay healthy and gave him a contract that reflected that. Had he not had the injury issues, there's no way they sign him to that steal of a deal. He had no leverage and the injury risk was too much to bet on himself and push it.

I like Burks at $10 mil a lot more than I like Klay at $17 mil. Klay is the beneficiary of the amount of defensive attention that Steph Curry commands.

Actually, think you are underrating Klay. I was very impressed with in in the World cup. He played a lot better than Curry. I don't think he is worth $17 million but he is a great shooter and an underrated defender.

Actually, think you are underrating Klay. I was very impressed with in in the World cup. He played a lot better than Curry. I don't think he is worth $17 million but he is a great shooter and an underrated defender.

Klay isn't even the best defender on the Warriors team and, as somebody said, a lot of his numbers are a product of being Curry's teammate.

I don't put too much into PER but Klay's PER has been 14.9, 12.7, and 14.3.

I like Burks at $10 million more. I think Klay is quickly becoming that "overrated-underrated" guy.