What's new

Bynum traded for Deng

Hitman

The Cleveland Cavaliers have agreed to trade Andrew Bynum and three future draft picks to the Chicago Bulls for All-Star forward Luol Deng.

The deal will save the Bulls more than $15 million in salary and luxury taxes because they are expected to release Bynum by 5 p.m. on Tuesday before the second half of his $12.3 million contract becomes guaranteed. The move will take the Bulls below the luxury tax.

The Cavs will send a first-round pick -- top 10 protected over the next two years -- that the Sacramento Kings owe them to the Bulls, plus two future second-round picks that belong to the Portland Trail Blazers. The Bulls will also have the right to swap 2015 first-round picks with the Cavs as long as the Cavs' pick is outside the lottery.

Link to original story on ESPN.

Bulls definitely in the tank now.

This is good for the Jazz. Cavs will get better and the Bulls are still good enough to not out tank the Jazz.

This is good for the Jazz. Cavs will get better and the Bulls are still good enough to not out tank the Jazz.

I really don't think the Bulls are better than the Jazz anymore. I just hope the Jazz got enough of a head start.

I'm done for the season with the Bulls. You better have a stroke of genius to compensate for losing Luol... **** yall. Why did I just realize the letters of the franchise can be found in Bullshit
For real. Garman = retard, Paxson = *****. Reinsdorf = Cheap greedy moron. Nuff said.

I'm done for the season with the Bulls. You better have a stroke of genius to compensate for losing Luol... **** yall. Why did I just realize the letters of the franchise can be found in Bullshit
For real. Garman = retard, Paxson = *****. Reinsdorf = Cheap greedy moron. Nuff said.

ooooh pretty

So... what's Chicago up to? If they're just gonna waive him it'll save them some space. But what are they clearing space for?

It's not like it's not well documented that I root for the Bulls in the East, Jazz in the West. And I think this is a horrible decision from a winning POV. It's a smart decision if you're a cheap, scottish idiot who thinks 6 championships in the 90s is enough for his lifetime and only tries to pull more revenue out of the ballclub than the Lakers do.
It may turn out to be okay in the long term but you take a huge risk, if you hope for the Kings and Bobnets to be semi decent for 1 season. Then you also need luck drafting while sending away the wrong player.
If you can't draft both conditional firsts in 2015 you are cap strapped again and risk losing Rose in case he's returning for real or having him and Noah at age 28 and 31 while drafting in 2016 a 19-21 year old hopeful in the low teens. 2016 is the weakest draft between 2014 and 2017.
So the only logics I see in this move is giving away a winner who fits their plan and window for a emergency rebuild in case Rose doesn't return. And saving money ofc.
Would Deng be overpaid at 12-13 millions a year towards the end of his 4 year contract? probably...But with the big market money to spend they SHOULD be in the luxury region anyways by that time. So take a risk to win. It's not like you're winning championships with not being in luxury tax regions. Do you guys know which team is the only one to win a chip without entering luxury tax territory since it was introduced in 02/03?
The Miami Heat in 05/06...They're the only freaking team because Dwyane Wade(3rd year player) was paid $3.5M this season...And even that way they were $2M away from the tax threshold only. Let's find another guy on a rookie contract to win NBA Finals MVP? Tim Duncan in 1999(rookie). And before that? Joe Dumars in 1989(4th year), Larry Bird in 1984(4th year), Magic Johnson in 1982(2nd year) and someone named Cedric Maxwell in 1981(4th year) who played on the Celtics for the others who have never heard that name before.
So it's getting more rare to win a championship simply because you can circumvent the ****ing tax by having MVP calibre guys rookie scale strangled. It's logical because guys are getting no longer draft between 21 and 24, but instead between 19 and 22. So I really hate ****ing Reinsdorf for not chasing a championship. If you deal someone on this roster it's Noah. Because that guy has chronic injuries that he can't play through and misses ****loads of games in and out the playoffs. You tank the season, overpay Luol a little, get a big trade execption and picks or talents for Noah to sign Mirotic and you extend Deng and Butler. You draft BPA and depending on who you get you amnesty boozer or let him backup Mirotic and deal his expiring around the draft deadline. That's how you set up your future properly when you have the 3rd most expensive franchise in the game and get a ****load of revenue out of your ballclub.

So... what's Chicago up to? If they're just gonna waive him it'll save them some space. But what are they clearing space for?

Mirotic...
You amnesty Boozer and renounce rights to former players you sit at $48M, with a cap expected north of $60M. You sign Mirotic anywhere between $6M and $8M annually for 3 or 4 years.(Keep in mind he has to pay Real Madrid to exercise early exit clause in his contract - SO you need to compensate for that). You extend Butler for around $7M annually for 4 years(Lance Stephenson is expected to get around $9M and he's better than Butler).
Then your lineup stands with
Rose/Teague(will be traded or cut prolly)
---/Snell
Butler(could also start at 2, doesn't matter)/Dunleavy Jr
Mirotic/Gibson
Noah/---

So you try to fill the holes on the wing and depth with the 11 or worse Bobcats pick this year(or 9 or worse next year), the 11 or worse Sacto pick next year(they'll suck this season and then try to turn it around) and their own 2014 pick which may be anywhere between 1 and 9 probably. If they land in the top6, they fix their wing void, if they land below that they'll probably try to use a high pick on a young Center or PF with a lot of potential(Vonleh, WCS, Gordon) and maybe try to trade Gibson. Then you wait which Rose returns in 2015. If he's good you're probably still going to be a 3-5 seed in the East, if he's McGrady then you suck again, have a chance for freaking Jahlil Okafor and move on from Rose in 2017 when he expires.
That's the situation now.

Just after Rose injured himself and it was announced he would probably miss the rest of the season it was reported that Rose was upset with talk that Chicago would try to rebuild. He declared that he did not want to wait through another rebuild. I thought the arrogant little prick ought to have been slapped by the Bulls fans for saying that after they 'waited' over a year for him to return from injury and will wait again this season.

Anyway, if I was Chicago I would consider trading Rose today, or maybe on draft night and start over. Would the jazz trade for rose? What if the Bulls asked for an unprotected 1st rounder in the 2014 draft? Would the Jazz do it? Would you?

Just after Rose injured himself and it was announced he would probably miss the rest of the season it was reported that Rose was upset with talk that Chicago would try to rebuild. He declared that he did not want to wait through another rebuild. I thought the arrogant little prick ought to have been slapped by the Bulls fans for saying that after they 'waited' over a year for him to return from injury and will wait again this season.

Anyway, if I was Chicago I would consider trading Rose today, or maybe on draft night and start over. Would the jazz trade for rose? What if the Bulls asked for an unprotected 1st rounder in the 2014 draft? Would the Jazz do it? Would you?

Doubt that happens in this timeline. Yeah I thought that was whiny too, but apparently that's himself protecting his interests and I respect that. None likes to rebuild, if you have options to win now. At the end of the day he's bound 3 more years to his team and he'll have to be patient no matter what.
Funny thing is that he has never seen a tanking campaign. Since he was drafted his team never ended the regular season with a negative record. 41-41 is the worst he has seen. Ask Durant about patience. He's gotta be the Zen Master by now ;)

They couldn't score a lick and now they just lost their top scorer for nothing?

The Jazz have to make a move for us to compete with that tank.

and bulls waived bynum. they really want Jabari parker. i lived in chicago and they really embrace their own.