What's new

byu to the Big 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Big 12 is full of bottom feeders just like the Pac 12. BYU fans shouldn't even care anymore. Any schedule we cobble together is going to be just as good as being in one of those conferences.

The Big 12 is full of bottom feeders just like the Pac 12. BYU fans shouldn't even care anymore. Any schedule we cobble together is going to be just as good as being in one of those conferences.

LOL, BYU would accept an invitation from the Big 12 without a second thought.

I have no idea why BYU homers pretend going independent is somehow better, but it's complete BS. BYU tried to get into a BCS conference and only went independent after that effort failed.

I still want to see who BYU plays late in the season. Say what you want about the PAC, but the fact is they have 4 teams in the AP top 25 right now (5 if you count Utah), plus Cal is right there at 29. That is who Utah will be playing late in the season every year, starting next year. BYU will be playing Idaho State, Utah State, and whatever other scrub teams they can schedule. Yeah, they'll get a Notre Dame mixed in, but Notre Dame has not been great in a long time.

So late in the season when the games are more important for BCS polls, Utah will be playing top 25 teams and BYU will be playing scrubs. And you think BYU would rather have it this way? LOL, not a chance.

If BYU announced they were going to the Big 12, BYU fans would be jumping for joy- just like they were when that Ute fan hacked that twitter account and announced BYU was joining the Big 12, only to break their hearts when it was later announced the account had been hacked and BYU was still a mid major. That was epic!

. BYU will be playing Idaho State.Yeah, they'll get a Notre Dame mixed in, but Notre Dame has not been great in a long time.
Hey I take offense to calling Idaho State a scrub school hahaha Jk. But in all seriousness Notre Dame may not be good in Football but they have ratings and the more eyeballs on a game makes the game more imporant. So any move from the Mtn., Versus, and CBS College Sports is an upgrade. That's why both BYU and Utah upgraded by leaving the Mountain West.

Hey I take offense to calling Idaho State a scrub school hahaha Jk. But in all seriousness Notre Dame may not be good in Football but they have ratings and the more eyeballs on a game makes the game more imporant. So any move from the Mtn., Versus, and CBS College Sports is an upgrade. That's why both BYU and Utah upgraded by leaving the Mountain West.
I disagree. I'd rather see Utah play TCU than Idaho State.

Look at it like this- if the MWC champ goes undefeated they go to a BCS game. If BYU goes undefeated next year, they likely don't go to a BCS game.

Utah's move was great because (among other reasons) they won't have to go undefeated anymore. Going undefeated will likely mean a trip to the championship game, and they could still lose 2 or 3 games and get to the Rose Bowl.

I don't see utah going to the PAC as even remotely similar to BYU going independent. One of them was a flat out great move, the other looks pretty bad right now, and may someday prove to be decent (or horrible).

Utah upgraded, big time, for sure. BYU might have slightly upgraded, and might have significantly downgraded.

BYU fans are like "ESPN has our back so it HAS to be great!" They don't realize ESPN has had Boise's back for years and Boise can't get more than 1 or 2 good teams per year to play them (and almost never in Boise).

Look at it like this- if the MWC champ goes undefeated they go to a BCS game. If BYU goes undefeated next year, they likely don't go to a BCS game.

Utah's move was great because (among other reasons) they won't have to go undefeated anymore. Going undefeated will likely mean a trip to the championship game, and they could still lose 2 or 3 games and get to the Rose Bowl.

I don't see utah going to the PAC as even remotely similar to BYU going independent. One of them was a flat out great move, the other looks pretty bad right now, and may someday prove to be decent (or horrible).

Utah upgraded, big time, for sure. BYU might have slightly upgraded, and might have significantly downgraded.

BYU fans are like "ESPN has our back so it HAS to be great!" They don't realize ESPN has had Boise's back for years and Boise can't get more than 1 or 2 good teams per year to play them (and almost never in Boise).

You had me agreeing with you right up until the Boise State comparison.

How many Boise State fans are spread across the country? Maybe a few more given their RECENT success. BYU has had great success over the past 30+ years, with only a brief down period during Crowton's dismal reign. There are enough LDS viewers to make BYU a successful team for ESPN, even if the team suffers a few 6-6 years due to rebuilding or a tough schedule.

I agree with you that Utah has a much better deal. The guaranteed money when they become full members of the conference far outweighs anything they could have earned in the MWC. But before becoming too drunk on the Pac-12 punch, let me bring up the case of a former team that dominated the WAC in football year after year and got an invite to join the Pac-8: ASU. They've won or tied for the Pac-10 title just three times in 30 years. And their brothers at UA have done even worse - just one title since leaving the WAC. Of course, UA has been phenomenal in basketball and ASU is a dominant baseball power. But temper your expectations, Ute fans. You're probably not going to have as much success as you think.

You had me agreeing with you right up until the Boise State comparison.

How many Boise State fans are spread across the country? Maybe a few more given their RECENT success. BYU has had great success over the past 30+ years, with only a brief down period during Crowton's dismal reign. There are enough LDS viewers to make BYU a successful team for ESPN, even if the team suffers a few 6-6 years due to rebuilding or a tough schedule.

I agree with you that Utah has a much better deal. The guaranteed money when they become full members of the conference far outweighs anything they could have earned in the MWC. But before becoming too drunk on the Pac-12 punch, let me bring up the case of a former team that dominated the WAC in football year after year and got an invite to join the Pac-8: ASU. They've won or tied for the Pac-10 title just three times in 30 years. And their brothers at UA have done even worse - just one title since leaving the WAC. Of course, UA has been phenomenal in basketball and ASU is a dominant baseball power. But temper your expectations, Ute fans. You're probably not going to have as much success as you think.

Do you have some numbers to show that there are more BYU fans nationwide than Boise State fans? I know BYU fans like to think that they have all these fans everywhere because they are mormon, but I don't buy it. Like I've said before, there are 10's of thousands of mormons at every Ute game, and they all hate BYU. That is 40 minutes away from the BYU campus. So if there are lots of mormons 40 minutes away from BYU who absolutely hate BYU, why should I believe that all the mormons 1000 miles away (or more) all love BYU?

Not only that, but there are lots of mormons that don't even like college football.

Realistically- how many mormons do you think there are that care about college football in any given city? And out of them, how many of them are BYU fans instead of their local team or alma mater? A hundred or so out of a city of a million or so? Not significant.

I don't buy the whole "every mormon loves BYU because they're mormons" argument. And I guess the BCS conferences don't buy it either because BYU would have an invite if the Big 12 thought it was true.

As for Arizona and ASU- Utah has dominated both of those teams too so I am not worried about Utah falling to their level. In addition to that, I don't see either one of them begging the MWC to take them.

Last edited:

I agree Utah made the bigger and better move. But compared to where they both were both upgraded. The reason that BSU only plays "1 or 2" good teams a year is because they only want to schedule that many. No program that isn't an AQ would schedule 4 games against great teams to start the year with because a) You don't need to (see BSU 2 BCS game apparences, Utah 2 BCS game apparences, TCU and Hawaii 1 each BCS apparences) and 2) It nearly impossible when AQ want not only to play BSU and Utah's but have one tune up game (ie James Madison) and possible a big time game against another AQ conference game (ie Penn State v Alabama and Ohio State v Miami). BSU main grip is that the teams they want to play (Ohio State, USC, Florida, and the like) won't schedule a home and home. BYU may not have the same problem but who knows. Also, my guess is that BYU is hoping to get an invite to the Big 12 when they expand again and by going independent it's their way of showing the B12 that they are a viable football entity. Will it work? Im not betting on it.

I agree Utah made the bigger and better move. But compared to where they both were both upgraded. The reason that BSU only plays "1 or 2" good teams a year is because they only want to schedule that many. No program that isn't an AQ would schedule 4 games against great teams to start the year with because a) You don't need to (see BSU 2 BCS game apparences, Utah 2 BCS game apparences, TCU and Hawaii 1 each BCS apparences) and 2) It nearly impossible when AQ want not only to play BSU and Utah's but have one tune up game (ie James Madison) and possible a big time game against another AQ conference game (ie Penn State v Alabama and Ohio State v Miami). BSU main grip is that the teams they want to play (Ohio State, USC, Florida, and the like) won't schedule a home and home. BYU may not have the same problem but who knows. Also, my guess is that BYU is hoping to get an invite to the Big 12 when they expand again and by going independent it's their way of showing the B12 that they are a viable football entity. Will it work? Im not betting on it.
No man, check it out:
https://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-boise110709
Boise had ESPN tryng to broker them a game with a BCS team. They were willing to play a 1 and done road game with no strings attached. No takers.

Also, Boise has went undefeated several times and still not got to a BCS game. In fact, both years Utah went undefeated and played in the BCS games, Boise went undefeated and went to minor bowl games.

If the "play as many scrubs as you can but schedule a good team or 2" strategy worked, then Boise would have never left the WAC. Remember, they knew Utah and BYU were leaving the MWC and they had a chance to stay in the WAC, but they still ran to the MWC. So did Fresno and Nevada (even paying 5 mil to do it).

Boise was/is ESPN's media darling. They have as much or more respect than any non BCS team (and a lot more national respect than BYU has). Yet they are bolting to the MWC and all of their fans are happy about it.

It's not a given to me that going independent is a good thing for BYU. Plenty of people think it's a horrible decision. Yeah, they might make more money (and even that is debatable because BYU hasn't released any financial details) but they can pretty much forget about going to a BCS game.

If Notre Dame can't get to a BCS game as an independent, there is no way BYU will. And Notre Dame has significant advantages over BYU to get to a BCS game: the rules are more lax for Notre Dame to get there, and Notre Dame has big name programs lined up and begging to schedule them (and BCS conferences lined up asking them to join).

We'll see if it turns out to be a good move or not for BYU, but there is no way you can just say it was great like it's a forgone conclusion. Most of the nation thought it was the4 worst move of the offseason (as the poll showed in my delusional BYU fans thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.