What's new

Cameraman who worked Jazz Pistons game in coma due to coronavirus

Sweet! Glad the guy is on the mend and that he'll be back with the Pistons once basketball finally resumes (whenever that will be).
That is good news. There is speculation that the source of the corona virus inside the Utah Jazz came not from Spida or Rudy but from Willie Reed. He had been playing for a team in Greece that had a couple of road trips into Italy which was corona hot spot central because of Chinese workers building infrastructure in Italy and who happened to be infected. He signs and shows up in Salt Lake January 22. About a week or 10 days after he shows up Kyle Collinsworth starts missing games for the Stars with a flu like upper respiratory infection. Reed also gets injured in his first game with the Stars and starts using the Jazz medical staff and trainers and the rest is history. They think he was asymptomatic and Collinsworth picks up this mysterious flu like illness that causes him to miss a lot of games.

That is good news. There is speculation that the source of the corona virus inside the Utah Jazz came not from Spida or Rudy but from Willie Reed. He had been playing for a team in Greece that had a couple of road trips into Italy which was corona hot spot central because of Chinese workers building infrastructure in Italy and who happened to be infected. He signs and shows up in Salt Lake January 22. About a week or 10 days after he shows up Kyle Collinsworth starts missing games for the Stars with a flu like upper respiratory infection. Reed also gets injured in his first game with the Stars and starts using the Jazz medical staff and trainers and the rest is history. They think he was asymptomatic and Collinsworth picks up this mysterious flu like illness that causes him to miss a lot of games.

Could you tell us more about the source of this speculation? We know you're a Stars aficionado, but I don't recall you presenting yourself before as any kind of insider. There's some (wanna-)believability in this scenario, but these are heavy words.

Could you tell us more about the source of this speculation? We know you're a Stars aficionado, but I don't recall you presenting yourself before as any kind of insider. There's some (wanna-)believability in this scenario, but these are heavy words.
My source on this is a guy that I know that works for the Idaho Dept of Health and Welfare. I know this sounds like a Best Buy moment but I ran into him at the bike shop yesterday as I was getting my mountain bike tuned up and he was dropping his bike off. He is doing a lot of COVID-19 tracing and I think it was the first Idaho case was a woman who got it in New York City when she was at a conference and she stayed at the same hotel as the Jazz at the same time they were there. Anyway he starts going back to the Jazz and discovers the Willie Reed/Greece thing and Collinsworth's illness and their contacts to medical staff and Rudy and Spida. Still there is no way to show who infected who or even if Collinsworth's illness was COVID-19 this time after the fact.

No flu virus would have a chance against Willie Reed.

It would be interesting if both Stars guys had the antibody test once it's available though in doing so would likely make Reed feel bad if he's a positive despite it not being his fault as it wasn't considered nearly as serious back in January (I believe at around that time The WHO were still claiming it couldn't spread human to human).

Hopefully this Gilead drug is as good as the Chicago study has shown and the more serious cases can be treated with it.

No flu virus would have a chance against Willie Reed.

It would be interesting if both Stars guys had the antibody test once it's available though in doing so would likely make Reed feel bad if he's a positive despite it not being his fault as it wasn't considered nearly as serious back in January (I believe at around that time The WHO were still claiming it couldn't spread human to human).

Hopefully this Gilead drug is as good as the Chicago study has shown and the more serious cases can be treated with it.
I remember when Collinsworth was sick and he missed quite a few games. I just assumed he picked something up from one of his kids. I listened to Spence Checketts pod cast last night with the Jazz beat writer that is now doing medical stories until the Jazz get back and he made it sound like there are quite a few promising treatments out there being experimented with now.

I just saw a story from Newsweek that the virus may have been in circulation since September. That could be both good and bad news. If it has been circulating that long some "herd immunity"may have been built up. Also it could mean everyone should be bracing for a 2nd waive.

I just saw a story from Newsweek that the virus may have been in circulation since September. That could be both good and bad news. If it has been circulating that long some "herd immunity"may have been built up. Also it could mean everyone should be bracing for a 2nd waive.

I read there are actually three strains of coronavirus circulating - people who had coronavirus in South Korea were getting it again and that was their reasoning.

Some people on Facebook claim they had it during the fall but of course that's simply speculation on their part.

I read there are actually three strains of coronavirus circulating - people who had coronavirus in South Korea were getting it again and that was their reasoning.

Some people on Facebook claim they had it during the fall but of course that's simply speculation on their part.
I read somewhere that California had some unusually high flu deaths in December and early January. This theory might explain those deaths or it was just your garden variety flu.

I read somewhere that California had some unusually high flu deaths in December and early January. This theory might explain those deaths or it was just your garden variety flu.
My brother in law was in South Korea for 6 months and returned last fall. He arrived home and soon after got quite sick with the flu. My sister-in-law caught it and so did a co-worker and a neighbor of hers. They all thought it originated from my brother-in-law. Interestingly, he has a very acute sense of smell and is constantly bothered by odors that my sister cannot even detect, but when he returned from Korea he could not smell anything. We laughed about it at the time because my sister was uncharacteristically bothered by odors that he couldn't detect at all, but we didn't associate it to his sickness at that time. I'm not sure whether any of the people who caught it from him had smelling issues. I hope he can get tested for antibodies. If he has them it is near certain that the disease was circulating long before December.

My brother in law was in South Korea for 6 months and returned last fall. He arrived home and soon after got quite sick with the flu. My sister-in-law caught it and so did a co-worker and a neighbor of hers. They all thought it originated from my brother-in-law. Interestingly, he has a very acute sense of smell and is constantly bothered by odors that my sister cannot even detect, but when he returned from Korea he could not smell anything. We laughed about it at the time because my sister was uncharacteristically bothered by odors that he couldn't detect at all, but we didn't associate it to his sickness at that time. I'm not sure whether any of the people who caught it from him had smelling issues. I hope he can get tested for antibodies. If he has them it is near certain that the disease was circulating long before December.
It seems we are learning more about this daily. The study that came out yesterday about 3-4% of the people tested in Santa Clara County having the antibodies. I wonder what the number would be with Jazz players, coaches and staff.