What's new

Can Hayward shoot the ball and our 3 point shooters

I mean he throws up a airball, gets it right back and throws up a brick. Has he made a 3 yet (pre season)?? He doesn't look like he has any confidence shooting the ball outside of 16 feet. Who cares if Korver couldn't do anything but shoot but at least he freakin stroked it from the outside and really stretched the floor.

So who can we depend on for 3's? Williams looks like our best shooter but he doesn't get a ton of opportunities at PG. Bell hits some but he hasn't looked so good the first 2 games and was really upset yesterday. I thought Miles would be that guy but he air balled one too and is getting in major foul trouble.

I mean he throws up a airball, gets it right back and throws up a brick. Has he made a 3 yet (pre season)?? He doesn't look like he has any confidence shooting the ball outside of 16 feet. terday.

I remember that play. So you're saying that someone who shoots an air ball 3, then shoots another 3 within 5 seconds of each other doesn't have confidence in their shot? Hmmm.. Interesting...

I'm not all that concerned about his shooting....yet. If the Jazz wanted pure shooting they would have taken Babbitt or Henry in the draft. The thing to be excited about is Hayward looks to be solid on defense and really gets after it going for rebounds.

So now we care about how well players shoot? This is the team that traded Korver and kept Miles. I didn't think it was possible, but Miles is worse than last year. Can't shoot and absolutely no anticipation on defense. Hayward might learn how to shoot in time, possibly, but it's just a guess. The Jazz are a joke. I was upset with Sloan, but this is obviously a front office problem. They are only seeing what they want to see.

Hayward has got beaten pretty badly some times. People are looking way too much into his blocks. I think in some games blocks aren't recorded correctly like last night. I know for a fact Big Al got two blocks, one was a weak side block on a lay up and he got recorded with 0 blocks. He does put effort into it and isn't bad but he is no lock down defender either.

And rainhut, we need to care about outside shooting. Everyone is packing in and doubling Al already and not allowing D Will to drive. We need shooting to spread the floor for D Will creating and Al making his moves in the post

Whether ya call it chemistry, timing, or rhythm, we ain't got it right now. When it starts to come, our outside shots should start to fall.

One thing I noticed at last nights game was that Hayward wasn't taking the shot on the curl play that Horny, Harp, and Korver ran so well. There were multiple opportunities that he just passed up and waited for his guy to catch back up to him. I don't know if his confidence isn't there yet or he's not used to shooting that quickly or whatever. If he can get that shot down, it could greatly help.

I remember the sequence in question: Hayward airballed one three, then Bell passed it back to him (wide open) for another attempt, which bricked. It was a nice gestrue by Bell, showing a little confidence in the rookie, but the end result was still two missed threes. IMO, Hayward needs to get comfortable inside the arc before he moves outside 23', but the shots were there to some extent.

As bad as Hayward has shot the ball from outside so far he has been our best wing in the first 2 games. AK's shot has been just as poor as Haywards and don't even get me started on CJ. Hayward is going to be a decent player. I think some one said that if hayward was putting up 8 points 5 boards a steal and a block a game they would be shocked. Well so far (the first 2 games) thats exactly what he is doing. I also think the shot well come with a little more time and confidence.

I mean he throws up a airball, gets it right back and throws up a brick. Has he made a 3 yet (pre season)?? He doesn't look like he has any confidence shooting the ball outside of 16 feet. Who cares if Korver couldn't do anything but shoot but at least he freakin stroked it from the outside and really stretched the floor.

So who can we depend on for 3's? Williams looks like our best shooter but he doesn't get a ton of opportunities at PG. Bell hits some but he hasn't looked so good the first 2 games and was really upset yesterday. I thought Miles would be that guy but he air balled one too and is getting in major foul trouble.

...if big fat Al would get off his duff and play some decent low post offense, set some screens and picks, we won't be needing all those low percentage 3 point shots to begin with!

Hayward is more of a younger Harpring than Korver... He can hit the 3 ball. But IMO his game is more of a cutting to the basket midrange game. Not chucking it up from long range...

I agree we need outside shooting. But from whom? Miles? That's my point. The Jazz play like they are from a different era. No spacing, can't shoot from the outside. At some point you have to blame the management for their choices in player selection and the coach for being so boringly predictable.

As bad as Hayward has shot the ball from outside so far he has been our best wing in the first 2 games. AK's shot has been just as poor as Haywards and don't even get me started on CJ.
This is absolutely true, which is an indictment of AK and CJ. Hayward has been the best SF hands down, and not just shooting.

Hayward: .412 shooting, 7.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2.0 extras (1.5 bpg-an anomaly I'm sure and 0.5 spg)
AK: .294 shooting, 10.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 5.5 extras (0.5 bpg, 1.5 spg and give AK credit for 3.5 apg because at least he's helping other people score)
CJ: .125 shooting, 2.0 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 1.5 extras (0.5 spg, and 1.0 apg) - obviously his minutes are lower, but that's his own fault with 4 fouls per game

Things can (and hopefully will) change quickly as they play more. For example, AK is shooting 5-for-17 vs. Hayward 7-for-17. Two shots makes a huge difference after only two games.

Kid has a beautiful stroke. He made at least one three in the preseason, and he made one or two in summer league. I'm not worried about his shooting, but I am more surprised how impressed I have been with his inside-the-arc game and defensive showing.

I now for sure that AK should not take two consecutive Js. He is that inconsistent. Raja is a proven shooter. I have no worries about his ability to shoot, however his age and rhythm might cause some concern. I did not Gordon when he was in college, his Js do not look weird, i.e Carlos' or Brews, and I remember that his 3pt stats dipped down in his second year in college from the first year. I think that might be due to the increasing focus of opponent defenses on him as he proves to be a leader player. We will see. Miles should have no problem getting easy looks because he knows where he should wait, his spots. He has been in this system for years. He has to rebound, contribute to steals and team defense and not commit stupid fouls in order to stay on the floor, though. CJ can hurt the opponent with many offensive moves but he should improve himself on decision making. It will surely help him be more effective and efficient on the floor.

And, Big Al better stop being a ballhog and start reading defenses and reacting to it properly. He should not be concerned with whether he will get the ball and be able to shoot it.

Hayward has not been the best wing so far. If you are judging just by stats then maybe. Ak had a pretty good game against Phoenix and at least hit a 3. Ak played fearless and was getting to the line. Both are hustling pretty good but both have made some pretty awful decisions and getting turnovers. AK is at least trying to create for himself while when Hayward gets it he hesitates and seems in decisive. He has had wide open shots and passed them up, especially on the curls