What's new

Can Jordan Clarkson and Rudy Gay play in the same lineup?

There's no way Gay gets as many shots with the Jazz as he did with the Spurs. He needs to play in the mold of Royce O'Neale and take advantage of open looks Quin's offense generates.

I’d predict that Gay’s shot section will feature more 3s next year. His shot distribution will still look different than Niang’s, but not as different as last year’s stats suggest.

I’d predict that Gay’s shot section will feature more 3s next year. His shot distribution will still look different than Niang’s, but not as different as last year’s stats suggest.
This. But when needed he gives us a guy that can create his own shot at literally any spot on the floor. As well as allow us to show different defensive looks. So much more than Niang ever could. Yuge upgrade there. Yuge.

I think gay is very capable of moulding his game to what is needed. No concerns with him, but I think Jordan’s gonna have to reel it in a little.

Right, the Jazz have a lot of high usage players. That's actually part of the point. Our starting lineup works because of Gobert and Royce's low usage. Players who can be effective and efficient without a lot of touches are a huge deal.

I do think it works itself out. I also think it's something to watch out for.

Gotcha.

Happy to say this was a stupid thread I started. So far Clarkson and Gay are +51 in 165 minutes. Gay has completely changed his game and is now shooting 69% of his FGA from 3pt range.

I mentioned this in the game thread, but Gay's biggest contribution to this team so far might be taking away shots from Jordan. Clarkson's usage has dropped from 30% to 24% since Gay got healthy and is shooting 3 less FGA per game.

Gay is a professional. Clarkson just wants to win and is thrilled to be here. They will make it work. I think that Gay makes that second unit way more dangerous in place of Niang. Definitely excited to see it in action!

Happy to say this was a stupid thread I started. So far Clarkson and Gay are +51 in 165 minutes. Gay has completely changed his game and is now shooting 69% of his FGA from 3pt range.

I mentioned this in the game thread, but Gay's biggest contribution to this team so far might be taking away shots from Jordan. Clarkson's usage has dropped from 30% to 24% since Gay got healthy and is shooting 3 less FGA per game.
Not a dumb thread, it was a valid issue. But as I stated above, Gay is a professional who wants to win and he'll do what he needs to with his game to provide what the team needs. And he's done just that.

JC's usage in our super bench lineup (Conley-JC-Ingles-Gay-Gobert) is still 28%, which is a lot but lower than the 31% usage last year in the same lineup with Niang. Most important thing is that the lineup is still kicking ***. For reference:

20/21 Usage rates

Conley - 20.79
JC - 30.98
Ingles - 14.14
Niang - 14.43
Gobert - 19.09

21/22 Usage rates

Conley - 17.92
JC - 28.40
Ingles - 15.09
Gay - 20.75
Gobert - 18.40

Gay has mostly taken from Conley and Clarkson. His efficiency has been through the roof, so it hasn't matter who he's taking from yet. I don't think it's reasonable for him to keep up his 72% TS in this lineup, but with the types of shots he's taking it's safe to say he'll be better than the 53% TS he posted last year.

I just keep waiting for Gay to go into a slump. He's a career 35% 3 point shooter and right now he's shooting 48%. It'd be awesome if his hot shooting was sustainable, unfortunately I don't think it is.

I just keep waiting for Gay to go into a slump. He's a career 35% 3 point shooter and right now he's shooting 48%. It'd be awesome if his hot shooting was sustainable, unfortunately I don't think it is.
I think he stays over 40%. He's been better in the latter stages of his career. You can tell he is shooting them without hesitation and has been given the green light from Quin. Being encouraged to shoot the open three likely helps confidence and gives the shot a small boost in percentage.

Buy yeah 48% ain't happening... especially at the volume he's shooting. Even without the shooting the other stuff he is bringing is fantastic.

Gay is averaging 9.8 rebounds per 36 minutes. To give an idea of what that is, here's a comprehensive list of all guys who have averaged more than 8 rebounds per 36 minutes in the past 6 years (I've removed guys who only played a couple games or were otherwise abberations):

Rudy
Hassan
Favors
Bradley
Davis
Udoh
Withey
Booker
Kanter

That's it. The one thing all those guys have in common is that they're all centers, except Booker. And this threshold is 8 rebounds per 36, of which he's rebounding about 23% higher than. You could state that he may come back down to earth on that, but he's really stepped up the boards over his career. Early career he was like 5-6 per 36, then he started inching up around 7, then in 2017-2018 he jumped above 8 and had a couple years at 9. He's also stepping in to a major vacuum that we've got so it may remain at this career-high level. For years I've bitched about having a real 4 who rebounds like a 4, and it's absolutely killed us down the stretch of many important games where Rudy does a great job contesting and absolutely nobody can grab the board.

But then for any still heart-broken over Niang, I know it's early and all, but here's a per 36 minute comparison between the two of them:

5wv4cn.jpg

I dunno about Clarkson and Gay on the floor at the same time but the Clarkson/Mitchell back court combo gotta stop.

It was bad last year and even worse this year - bad shot selection and horrid defense.