What's new

Can Kanter become even more athletic for the next year?

illyasova

https://appliedsportsscience.com/enes-kanters-physical-and-athletic-gains-transferring-to-the-court/

we have been witnessing the change of Kanter dramatically from last year to this year. I was hoping him to improve in all areas as mid range shooting, post up moves, passing etc but not the athletism wise as jumping higher and quicker, increasing the leaning ability that much. In Bobcats much his follow up slam really surprised me and made me feel even more optimistic about his future.

So the question comes naturally. Can Kanter become even more athletic for the next year?

I think he can add some more explosion and speed. I don't think he is ever going to be Dwight or Favors type of athleticism, but I think he is the type to work really hard in the weight room. And I know from experience that you can get better in that area if you work hard enough. He is right in that age range too, that he can develop a little more. I think he adds a little more muscle in his upper body too. I hope it isn't too much. But as long as he adds some muscle to the legs, the added weight to the top won't hurt him much if any. I think about 10-15 more pounds of muscle all around will be good.

I think what he needs to work on most though, is his technique. He looks strong enough to jump high, he just doesn't look like he knows how to do it all that well. It just takes practice. Jumping is a skill, unlike what most people think. Its not just some freebie that "god" hands out to certain people. He has to work at it. And I think Enes has the work ethic to at least try and be some what successful. Adding 3-4 inches on his vertical is realistic imo.

Enes Kanter at 259lbs body weight had 5.9% fat. This means he contained less then 16 pounds of body fat on his entire body. He weighs 242 pounds, 17 pounds less then he was the previous year. I understand body fat measurements are not 100% accurate but assuming he got stronger over the year, how is he losing weight?

Enes Kanter at 259lbs body weight had 5.9% fat. This means he contained less then 16 pounds of body fat on his entire body. He weighs 242 pounds, 17 pounds less then he was the previous year. I understand body fat measurements are not 100% accurate but assuming he got stronger over the year, how is he losing weight?

He was not at 5.9% body fat at 295. Where did you get that info?

5.9% body fat. Is really cut. Thats what he is at now.

He's talkin about the body fat measurement when he was a draft prospect. Not the time he ate all the delicious yummies his mama cooked for him.

He should work on his vertical. And his elevation speed. And everything beantown said is the most important thing for him to accomplish. He is smart n all but he's also young and he likes to pose. But then again that might be a good thing. To keep him going, forcing him to try to get better.

From last offseason's gym work, the greatest benefit he got is ability for running the fast breaks. More than half of the season is over but his teammates did not feed him much compared to his amount of runned fastbreaks. They sure shouldn't throw him an alley oop dime though. He should work on it.

He's already in excellent shape. Quit putting unrealistic expectations on him. He has a low center of gravity, he's not going to be an above the rim guy.

^ This. His body type is not suitable for him to be more athletic it would be perfect but he cant have it all at once and neither he need to be. It can maybe help to him finishing better at the traffic but we dont need him to be a rim defender cause that role is already belong to Favors. Right now his body, perfect for his playing style and he is in a great shape.

But with that being said.. This;
I would rather him become smarter rather than more athletic. This off-season he really needs to focus on smart defense and passing. His offense is coming along fine.

And for instance to smart defense; taking charges maybe. All non-atletic good big men doing it perfectly.

At the draft combine Kanter officially weighed 259 pounds and had 5.9% body fat. Keep in mind about 12% body fat you will have some six pack showing, 9 % body fat you will be ****ing ripped and have like an 8 pack. 5.9% is insane. He lost 17 more pounds on top of that (and probably gained more strength). I don't know how it is done.

I think he could improve his athleticism a little bit.... I really wish he would grow another inch taller and get another inch or too on his wingspan...... dont know if that is possible at 20 years old though.

At the draft combine Kanter officially weighed 259 pounds and had 5.9% body fat. Keep in mind about 12% body fat you will have some six pack showing, 9 % body fat you will be ****ing ripped and have like an 8 pack. 5.9% is insane. He lost 17 more pounds on top of that (and probably gained more strength). I don't know how it is done.

Roids

Even with roids man. If someone has 15 pounds of fat but loses 17 pounds what else does he lose? I would say he lost some muscle but he gained strength as well. Roids can't break the laws of physics.

Ya i was just joking

Even with roids man. If someone has 15 pounds of fat but loses 17 pounds what else does he lose? I would say he lost some muscle but he gained strength as well. Roids can't break the laws of physics.

All muscle is not equal. Just because some one has x amount of muscle does not mean they can lift x amount of weight or jump x high.

Swords makes a fair point but I'll say there's no way in hell Kanter had 5+% body fat back then just like Deron didn't have his reported 6% or whatever it was. Either it's misinformation, lies, or they're using the old scale pinching technique which no one really uses anymore to test body fat.

Unless he cuts his weight I don't see him getting too much more explosive/quick. Honestly, I've been surprised at his gains this year. Last year it seemed like struggled to do fairly easy dunks. This year he is throwing it down much more effortlessly. That self-rebound put back dunk was a pretty good example. I don't think he could have done that last year.

Definitely. Kanter is probably under ten now, but he was at least fifteen when drafted regardless of what their ******** technology says.