What's new

Can somebody please convince me

jrclone

That Hayward is going to amount to something in this league? I want to like him, and I find myself making excuses for him, and holding out hope that he's going to improve drastically, but his play rarely gives me a reason to have such hope.

However, it always seems like there are tons of Hayward supporters on this board, and I would love for someone to convince me that there is a reason to believe that he is going to meet our needs as an efficient offensive and better than average defensive player. As it is right now, I think the best projection I have for him is an average bench role player.

Nope, no one can. I hated the pick on draft day, but he's shown flashes of what he can become here and there. All you can do is give him time, he's just a kid.

I like his defense
maybe because its an upgrade over bell.

only problem with his defense is that refs are raping him and blowing the whistle needlesly

I think all that most of us have right now is hope. We take hope where we can get it and watching Favors and Hayward develop gives us something to hope in. I think he shows flashes and seems to play in control, have good confidence and is not afraid of the game. I think he has a shot to be something, but whether he will be or not definitely remains to be seen.

No i mean I really think Hayward shows flashes. I don't see why he can't have one of those progressions with like 4ppg this year, 7-8 next year and 10+ after that

I think Hayward can become a decent player. The amount of time it takes him to improve will depend upon how much playing time he gets. I still would rather watch Hayward play over CJ. I have given up on CJ and I have been defending him for awhile but if his jumper isn't falling then he pretty much sucks.

I guess I'm confused on what you guys aren't seeing. Hayward to me seems to play the game very well. His jumper is not falling every time true, but he does so many things that I like to see out there. He makes great entry passes. He plays good man to man D and doesn't let his guy go by him. He seems to be the only one that can stay close enough to his man and still help and recover back out to the 3 point line that I saw tonight. He has good ball skills for his size. He plays smart tries to run routs. If his jumper starts falling he would be a lot better starting wing than we have right now.

What he reminds me of is that talented Freshman kid that gets put on the Varsity team in High School. After just kicking but in JR high. But now only gets spot min and is struggling to adjust to his role on the team. Yet everyone knows in 2 years when he is a JR that he is going to be great. Hayward has the qualities to be a good player in this league. I not sure what you guys expect out of a 20 year old rookie.

Most of you must not remember when Kobe was a rookie ether. He really struggled his first year to find his game. Got playing time here and there and missed a lot of shots. But you could tell there was a chance he was going to be a great player. And he is. Not saying that Hayward has the potential of a Kobe. But good hell he is in his rookie year and has had very inconsistent playing time. Lets see how he is 2-3 years from now before saying how good he can be.

Gordon was actually hitting 3's. Something the Jazz seem to forget about on offense and defense.
Agree with the general hope sentiment. He is actually our best 3pt shooter (not counting Sap). 35.5%--I know its not saying much.

I think he becomes a boring old solid bench player that generally plays smart. (I'm seeing less and less rookie mistakes as the year progresses.)

I obviously have been drinking more punch than most of you. I think that Hayward is going to be much better than a role player. He already has better ball handling skills than everyone but Harris, is the best finisher in transition on the entire team, and generally plays with more tenacity than anyone especially on rebounding. Of course, I also have generally praised Miles, but have given that up and believe he should be suspended for the rest of the year. He obviously took losing Sloan and Deron harder than everyone else, and he just needs to go away and mourn instead of doing it in the middle of games when other humans depend on him to help tow the line. I can't stand watching him right now. He was a pathetic defender/inconsistent bricker before the trade and has gotten considerably worse. Probably should have been traded with Deron and returned Morrow or Outlaw. Back to Hayward; I think he gets the worst calls consistently of anyone I have ever seen with comparable athleticism. KC's comment on draft night, I believe, is accurate.

hayward has heart. he has a good shooting touch, handles, and great court vision. i thought he played a good game against the knicks 4-5 11pts 2-3 from deep. in all honesty i can see him going far enough to be a 3rd option on a good team. he is now putting up decent season stats in spite of his horrid first third of the season. he presents a mismatch at the 2 and is another playmaker. he could become a very valuable asset to this jazz team in 2 years if he gets the playing time he needs.

I guess I'm confused on what you guys aren't seeing. Hayward to me seems to play the game very well. His jumper is not falling every time true, but he does so many things that I like to see out there. He makes great entry passes. He plays good man to man D and doesn't let his guy go by him. He seems to be the only one that can stay close enough to his man and still help and recover back out to the 3 point line that I saw tonight. He has good ball skills for his size. He plays smart tries to run routs. If his jumper starts falling he would be a lot better starting wing than we have right now.

What he reminds me of is that talented Freshman kid that gets put on the Varsity team in High School. After just kicking but in JR high. But now only gets spot min and is struggling to adjust to his role on the team. Yet everyone knows in 2 years when he is a JR that he is going to be great. Hayward has the qualities to be a good player in this league. I not sure what you guys expect out of a 20 year old rookie.

Most of you must not remember when Kobe was a rookie ether. He really struggled his first year to find his game. Got playing time here and there and missed a lot of shots. But you could tell there was a chance he was going to be a great player. And he is. Not saying that Hayward has the potential of a Kobe. But good hell he is in his rookie year and has had very inconsistent playing time. Lets see how he is 2-3 years from now before saying how good he can be.

Repped for this. Hayward plays very unselfishly, always in control, and appears to have a great understanding of the game. I think he's the perfect player for a system offense like the Jazz, and he's an above average defender already. Two years from now his Jazz legacy will be on track to exceed Bryon Russell, at the minimum.

For a 9th pick who is 20 years old he really doesn't hurt the team when he is on the court. It's hard to complain about that if your expectations are where they should be.