What's new

Can the Jazz afford to match Portland's offer to Evans in about 8 months?

Can the Jazz afford to match Portland's offer to Evans in about 8 months?

• Yes, but only if we get rid of AK/Memo

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Yes, Portland has learned from their mistakes, but it won't stop them from acting like total d'bags.

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • No, we can't afford another max player.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • No-- bring in the Matthews/Evans era in Portland.

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
Either way, it looks like the Jazz may have screwed themselves over again because some team will give him a payday. It might not be Wesley Matthews type money but a lot more than a standard second round contract. Why are you paying your scouts to find players if you do not have confidence in them?

Most 2nd round picks have 3 year contracts.

Millsap was 3 years before he became a free agent.

Why would Evans before a free agent next summer? Am I missing something?

Wesley Matthews was not drafted so that is why he became a free agent after 1 year.

Most 2nd round picks have 3 year contracts.

Millsap was 3 years before he became a free agent.

Why would Evans before a free agent next summer? Am I missing something?

Wesley Matthews was not drafted so that is why he became a free agent after 1 year.
I'm not so sure most 2nd round picks have 3 year contracts. The Jazz could have signed Wes for 3 years, they could have signed Sap for 1 year.

Also, Evans is on a non-guaranteed deal like Matthews was.

If Evans shows he can hit 3s by the end of the season, the Jazz should match any MLE offer for him. Evans with 20 pounds and a canned 3 would be damn dreamy.

Also, Evans is on a non-guaranteed deal like Matthews was.

If Evans shows he can hit 3s by the end of the season, the Jazz should match any MLE offer for him. Evans with 20 pounds and a canned 3 would be damn dreamy.

I don't care about the 3. Just show range out to 15-18 feet.

The next CBA needs to fix the 2nd-round/undrafted loophole. These players should not be able to earn 2x what the #1 pick in their draft class makes. Teams should have the option after Year #1 of turning their contracts into that of a 1st-rounder, equal to that of the #30 pick.

Evans is a way too skinny and weak to play the 4 even if he puts on 20 pounds. He's a SF and SFs need to know how to shoot.

Yeah, right now Evans is just signed for camp and preseason. Anything beyond that still needs to be negotiated. The Jazz can sign him for up to 5(?) years as long as he and his agent agree to it. But I don't think they can offer him anything but the minimum since we're over the cap (but may still have some exception money left?).