What's new

Can We Please Just Waive NWG?

I'd say Conley is most likely of those three. Joe is Jazz culture... Royce has a solid deal and is besties with DM. Conley is a one year guy... there is zero chance we retain him if we also extend Rudy. The money ain't gonna work.

I mean we cant slot in a salary for him if he just leaves. Unless we are suddenly world beaters, he gets dealt by the deadline.

Kind of surprised he was waived now when his guarantee date was in 2021.

Is that a favor to NWG or do the Jazz have another move lined up?

Kind of surprised he was waived now when his guarantee date was in 2021.

Is that a favor to NWG or do the Jazz have another move lined up?
His guarantee may be then, but are we not liable for everything we pay him up until that point?

His guarantee may be then, but are we not liable for everything we pay him up until that point?
Not in the Luxury Tax calculation. The numbers from the cap sheet at the end of the season are all that matters, not pro-rated amounts paid.

Considering that and that NWG looked actually good on an NBA court for the first time, it's strange to me the timing of him being waived. I would guess they are eyeing someone else to later ditch so they can duck the tax (or whatever).

Last edited:
I'm sure he'll find a spot with some team overseas. Not a bad gig, afterall. Maybe after more seasoning, he'll make it back in the NBA as a third-stringer.

Not in the Luxury Tax calculation. The numbers from the cap sheet at the end of the season are all that matters, not pro-rated amounts paid.

Considering that and that NWG looked actually good on an NBA court for the first time, it's strange to me the timing of him being waived. I would guess they are eyeing someone else to later ditch so they can duck the tax (or whatever).
My understanding was that cap standing was based on current salary, but the tax was based the amount actually spent.