What's new

Cancun

Any and all of them. You can’t go wrong as long as they are on “the strip” and on the beach.
I stayed the cancun palace which had 3 or 4 other hotels that you could use as well as the one we stayed in. Loved it. But I walked the whole strip on the beach and all the hotels looked amazing for the most part.

If I were you though I would take a good look at Dreams resort Cancun.
Imo it has the best location since it’s on a corner/point so that it has 3 sides of the resort with three different beach types on three different parts of the ocean. When we walked the beach to dreams we realized that on one side of the resort was really calm water and on the other side had more waves and our on the point it was big waves. (Look at a map of its location to see what I mean). It’s also in the heart of the Cancun shopping and nightlife. It also has dolphins within the resort and you can even get rooms with balconies that have dolphins right outside.

And it’s actually pretty cheap. I probably would have stayed there but we used a friends timeshare. The hotel we stayed in would have been quite a bit more expensive as it was more lavish and upper class but I would have preferred to stay at Dreams. And especially if you are bringing a kid. (If it’s just you and your wife then maybe look elsewhere I guess)

Thanks Fish.

For sure leaving the kids at home.

Not really partiers, just looking to relax, ocean kayak, drink free booze. Would like to keep it affordable...probably no more than $400/night at the top end.

Thanks Fish.

For sure leaving the kids at home.

Not really partiers, just looking to relax, ocean kayak, drink free booze. Would like to keep it affordable...probably no more than $400/night at the top end.

I think the rate for the hotel we stayed in was like 3500-4000 for a week. All food and drinks included (unless you wanted good booze. Grey goose, jimmy walker, crown, patron, etc)

It was a really nice place. Wish the ocean was calmer though. The waves were pretty big and never ending. Nothing crazy but you couldn’t really relax or just swim around comfortably in the ocean. Fun to play in but not to just chill in or snorkel or anything.

Fish is correct. I stayed at the cheapest place on my first trip that was on the very end of the strip. Free booze, unlimited food and easy way to get to the bar attractions and marketplace. Cabbies were about 6 bucks, but that was about 20 years ago.

Make a point to to Chichen Itza, it's really cool. Manchu Picco is on my bucket list. It was $80 for the bus ride and entry back in 1990 and included a very ****** "authentic" lunch.

Keep in mind that once you go too far north the ocean current changes and you won't be on a beach that is crystal blue. That's the best thing about Cancun IMO outside of 30 y.o. women getting out and teasing young men by flashing them and saying "You couldn't handle me".

I dont remember exactly where that sea current line is but you can use a map.

To add, Cancun has been my favorite place to visit, and you can work things out on the fly. I've wanted to take my wife their for 15 years but kids. Jealous.

**** man, you can use our Marriott time share and go to St. Thomas or Aruba. We’ll charge you minimally. Maybe $500 for 5 days. Drinks wouldn’t be included but you’d save a bunch this way and not get murdered.

Last edited:
**** man, you can use our Marriott time share and go to St. Thomas or Aruba. We’ll charge you minimally. Maybe $500 for 5 days. Drinks wouldn’t be included but you’d save a bunch this way and not get murdered.

Dawg. That’s too generous. I love you for it, but that just seems like you’re giving it away.

DO NOT GO.

Read up on the wave of violence the cartels have brought to Cancun.

This is the reason I won't take my kids. Also, the mid-30's steroided up frat boys who never grew up aren't the best company to be around. They swarm the place during spring break. If I ever said **** Americans, they were when I lost respect for my country and humanity. Truly despicable crowd.

A coworker went to Cancun a few months ago with the idea that the resorts would be safe, which is true enough. However, on the way to the resort in their rental car, they were pulled over by a corrupt policeman who insisted they had broken some law and were going to go to jail unless they gave him all the cash they had on them. They did it because they didn't want to spend their vacation fighting some system they didn't understand.

Cancun all inclusive resorts have also been the epicenter of the hospital/drinks scam. Where the resorts have poisoned drinks, arrange for you to go to a specific hospital and then require you to pay thousands of dollars before they will treat you.

I have stayed in Cancun twice. Once at an all inclusive and once not. I stayed at the Krystal and liked it, the staff was nice and it seemed to be at a good spot. It seemed like a good price in comparison when I stayed there, but that was a decade ago. I personally dont like the all inclusive places. I would rather explore and find good food and different places but obviously a lot of people like the all inclusive.